How many risk No insurance when cruising

bogofman

Reading lots of threads of folks not taking travel insurance when cruising

What happens with medical cover, does the US medical insurance cover traveling or would the travel insurance cover that?

I've seen many medical evacuations by helicopter and i cannot begin to guess the cost of that if someone is not covered.

I've seen many medical evacuations by helicopter and i cannot begin to guess the cost of that if someone is not covered.

I would venture to guess less than once a month on say Oasis - that's one 1 in 25000 chance. "Many" is relative.;)

For context, the murder rate in the US is about the same at 3.9/100000.

Edited by Biker19

... I've seen many medical evacuations by helicopter and i cannot begin to guess the cost of that if someone is not covered.

Depends where you are, but it can be tens of thousands.

We are going on our second cruise (last was 6yrs ago). But we travel often enough.

We have coverage for medical/injury/death etc but not for trip cancellation. We would never risk having to cover medical expenses (unknown cost) but we are comfortable enough covering the costs of a trip being cancelled (known cost).

Medicare will not cover you outside of the US. As for other medical insurance it depends on the company. However I will warn you that if you ever have to be airlifted off the ship, you'll be very thankful to have trip insurance. Almost no air or land ambulance providers contract with insurance companies which means they can bill you for the difference between their billed charges and your insurances allowed charges. Those bills are often in excess of $100,000.

10 Cruises and we always buy insurance. I'm 60, DH is 65...you never know and I'm not risking the expense of a medical emergency! I just add it in to the total cost of the cruise and don't think about it again....

Thankfully, we have never used it.

I would venture to guess less than once a month on say Oasis - that's one 1 in 25000 chance. "Many" is relative.;)

For context, the murder rate in the US is about the same at 3.9/100000.

We had two on an indy cruise from Southampton to the med, helicopter on the way down and a boat came out from Spain on the way back up.

Being British we are covered for emergency medical treatment in other EU countries. However, we would never travel anywhere abroad without comprehensive travel insurance.

I think on every cruise we have taken we have seen somebody taken seriously I'll, including having to be taken off the ship by helicopter.

If you have adequate insurance you are covered for every eventuality, so we always take out an annual insurance. Even if we just pop across the Channel to France we know we would be repatriated if necessary.

You never know what is around the corner, so even if you are young and healthy you can always have an accident.

For me, anybody who travels without adequate travel insurance is just plain foolhardy.

It's not only good while cruising because things do happen before you set sail. Five years ago, a month before we were set to leave on a cruise, my sister went in for a routine mammogram. In those four weeks she had her mammogram, went in for a biopsy, had a partial mastectomy and started radiation. If it wasn't for cruise insurance we would have lost thousands of dollars.

Today she is a five-year breast cancer survivor.

Reading lots of threads of folks not taking travel insurance when cruising

What happens with medical cover, does the US medical insurance cover traveling or would the travel insurance cover that?

My medical coverage, Blue Cross, will reimburse after I get home and submit all of the paperwork. Make sure those credit cards have high limits. I do not have limits of 100K plus for medical evacuation if the facilities are not able to resolve your condition so evacuation coverage is my priority. The only time you need insurance is when you don't have it.

So, if you need an air ambulance to your home, or a stretcher and accompanying nurse on a plane, or your spouse needs board and accommodation whilst their loved one is in hospital who pays for all that? Or do US citizens get it covered in their medical insurances?

For the number of times my OH and self go abroad each year and the cost of the annual, worldwide insurance premium we find it worthwhile for peace of mind. We paid around the equivalent ofUSD 500 for the two of us for the year. That also includes our pre existing medical conditions.

We never bought the cruise insurance until about 2009 when my sister was concerned about her husband's health. We've bought it ever since.

How do you purchase it? Is this the insurance that is offered fom the cruise line or is it an add-on to your basic insurance? Do you get it short term just before you leave for a month increment?

I think I should start looking into this.

Thanks.

So, if you need an air ambulance to your home, or a stretcher and accompanying nurse on a plane, or your spouse needs board and accommodation whilst their loved one is in hospital who pays for all that? Or do US citizens get it covered in their medical insurances?

There are thousands of insurance cos. Here and many thousands over of policies, do you have a particular one in mind?

How do you purchase it? Is this the insurance that is offered fom the cruise line or is it an add-on to your basic insurance? Do you get it short term just before you leave for a month increment?

I think I should start looking into this.

Thanks.

We buy third party (non-cruise line) insurance. See these websites:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

In the past I did not purchase insurance - but lately I have for nearly every cruise. I didn't for my 3 night one coming up because the cruise itself is not that expensive, I am driving to port so no air and we will be pretty close to the US.

I get mine through USAA. I generally wait and purchase it at final payment.