What is the "Silent Disco?"

screwsmcernst

We did this on the Silhouette a couple of years ago and loved it!

You're wearing headphones and dancing to your own groove with a choice of disco, oldies rock or contemporary music.

It's so funny when you take your headphones off for a second and there's no music, just the sounds of shuffling feet and some dancers singing and then people walk in wondering what in the world is going on. We thought it was a really fun idea.

Hope they do this on the Summit during our cruises next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This sounds fantastic! Hope they do it on our upcoming cruises! You can dance alone, right? (I mean it wasn't all couples??). My husband hates to dance and I think this would be great for those hearing the beat of their own distant drummer.

Edited by warmwinds

This sounds fantastic! Hope they do it on our upcoming cruises! You can dance alone, right? (I mean it wasn't all couples??). My husband hates to dance and I think this would be great for those hearing the beat of their own distant drummer.

You can dance alone, you can dance in a group - even in a group who are all listening to different channels! It's really a lot of fun. You can choose to not wear headphones at all and enjoy a silent Martini Bar.

We have experienced the Silent Disco twice - on the Infinity (M class) it was held at the Martini Bar and on the Solstice (S class) it was held in Quasar.

We are not the type of people who usually do this kind of thing but we gave it a try and had a blast. The staff gives you a set of headphones and you tune to one of three channels - oldies, disco, contemporary. The headphones light up (red, blue, green) and show what channel you are on. The dance floor is jumble of lights and everyone is dancing to their own silent groove of their favorite genre of music. I saw even the most committed "wall flowers" give it a try and before long, they were doing their thing in the middle of the throng. You can dance alone, with a partner, or with the masses. It is organized chaos and hilarious. The Martini Bar staff put the headphones on and they are doing shaker tricks to the beat of the music. People were dancing one deck up and one deck down along the open Atrium too. Take the headphones off when you need a break or carry on a conversation with someone - silence other than some off-key singing which wasn't intrusive.

I'm not sure this would be everyone's vibe, but it is worth checking out at least once. Times are listed in the Daily Bulletin or ask one of the activity staff.

They did it on our recent Infinity cruise (we just got back Friday). They offered it twice, but the second time was after a long port day which I found disappointing as most people who had been touring all day were probably exhausted (we were anyway).

My husband loves to dance (especially by himself!) and he goes to dance wherever the DJ is almost every night. Anyway, I joined him for the Silent Disco (or Muted at Martini as they called it) and it was so much fun. Some people just sat with their drinks enjoying all our antics. They were sitting there smiling and then they almost fell over laughing when, as one, a mob of gyrating cruisers erupted into the YMCA moves. Half the fun for the dancers is watching the watchers watching the dancers. I hope they offer it on our cruise in February.

Can't recommend this event highly enough -- both for dancers and observers! We did it on RC's Anthem of the Seas last year and had a blast dancing. Others who were watching were also clearly having a good time. I hope they have it on my upcoming Reflection cruise!

We also first saw this on Anthem last year and were surprised to see it on Eclipse last month. It was very popular and great fun, if a little short in duration. It's great to see those that don't necessarily do ' the disco' get into the groove. My Mum is 82 and sat with headphones and chair-boogied for the whole time and had a ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This sounds like great fun! I will be sure to scan the dailies thoroughly when we're on the Equinox next month so I don't miss it. Everyone gets to do their own thing...how great is that? The visual I have in my head is making making me smile already :)

I cannot believe on all the cruises we did, I have never seen this! I cannot wait! My DH hates to dance, but it sounds like he can watch, I can dance with the crowd and all are happy! :D

As an example, some will dance to motown while others will be doing the Electric Slide, etc. Only sound is through your headphones. Those watching can talk and watch. We dancers will look a bit crazy, but we will also have a lot of fun!!:D There should be more of these nights! We had two on Anthem.