Thomson Dreamliner - extra legroom seats?

Hi

thinking of booking for Caribbean in January 2018. As it's a 9 hr flight I was thinking of upgrading to extra legroom seats - does anyone know if the legroom is significantly more or should I save up extra hard and go for Premium? ;)

I am not recommending any particular grade of seats but just in case you are unaware, you can now book your pre-paid seats when you book your cruise. That is for premium, extra legroom or extra space. If you have pre-paid to book standard seats you still have to wait until 90 days before the return flight to book them.

It probably means that early cruise bookers get first choice of seats.

not sure if you can book premium for one leg only (pardon pun) but whilst you can survive flying out without special seats the return trip is a nightmare and we wished we had upgraded! The seating layout also increases the likelihood of a stranger with you to disturb every loo/stretching trip....

Whilst Dreamliner boasts more room even in standard once the seats in front recline that disappears and at 5'4 ins i was cramped even reclining ditto which did surprise me. I simply gave up trying to sleep and even found the in-flight movies in economy surprisingly poor...8 hrs playing poker games are a challenge.

Weigh up finances v how quickly you need to be fully functional on your return v your health and risks of long cramped periods v how easily you can nod off even if really uncomfortable.

Agree with most of that, you have to book both ways unless you do the TA😉 it's the return that does for us but think if I was economy I would select a central seat so as you say you can get out think it was OK in the 767 with the 2_4_2 configuration we did that once and found it OK, but even in premium with all the extras it's still not a good night's sleep, for us anyway.

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

Seat configuration on Dreamliner is 3,4,3, in main cabin. 2,s in premium. We found we had enough leg room, however still squashed in a bit, but we only did a short haul. Long haul maybe the space out the seats a bit more? Wasn't too impressed with the plane to be honest, preferred the 767 more.

not sure if you can book premium for one leg only (pardon pun) but whilst you can survive flying out without special seats the return trip is a nightmare and we wished we had upgraded! The seating layout also increases the likelihood of a stranger with you to disturb every loo/stretching trip....

Whilst Dreamliner boasts more room even in standard once the seats in front recline that disappears and at 5'4 ins i was cramped even reclining ditto which did surprise me. I simply gave up trying to sleep and even found the in-flight movies in economy surprisingly poor...8 hrs playing poker games are a challenge.

Weigh up finances v how quickly you need to be fully functional on your return v your health and risks of long cramped periods v how easily you can nod off even if really uncomfortable.

I booked premium one the way there, wish I had booked on the way back too. If you can book premium it is so much nicer with the extra room and lots of nice drinks and food. The other seats are really squashed up.

I booked premium one the way there, wish I had booked on the way back too. If you can book premium it is so much nicer with the extra room and lots of nice drinks and food. The other seats are really squashed up.

thanks all, we have booked Premium both ways for our Caribbean trip, all part of the fun!

• 1 month later...

When the Dreamliner first came to T/FC all seats in ecomomy had a 33inch pitch. Then they changed it and to get the 33 , which I think you need for long haul, you now have to pay as extra space.

We paid last year going to Florida and they were fine and my grandson was with us 18mths. I wouldn't waste your money on Premium as there is ample room in extra space.

Dreamliner short haul are configured differently and have a smaller pitch.

We personally do not see it as a waste and do not just go for the extra space, but I do understand that we all have different requirements from a holiday

Totally agree PC.

I think the difference in cost between extra leg room and premium is well worth it for all the add ons like premier lounge access (UK), security fast track, priority boarding and disembarkation, plus extra space and upgraded service. As you say though, it's a personal choice.

We personally do not see it as a waste and do not just go for the extra space, but I do understand that we all have different requirements from a holiday

Totally agree PC.

I think the difference in cost between extra leg room and premium is well worth it for all the add ons like premier lounge access (UK), security fast track, priority boarding and disembarkation, plus extra space and upgraded service. As you say though, it's a personal choice.

Sorry of course it is a personal choice and I wasn't decrying anyone who does, its just for us, when there are 8 travelling that money could be spent on Disney tickets or meals etc at our destination. We have flown Premium once, when we got them on a late deal included and I couldn't justify the extra which sometimes is about £250+ pp, but as you said everyone's priorities differ :)

Sorry of course it is a personal choice and I wasn't decrying anyone who does, its just for us, when there are 8 travelling that money could be spent on Disney tickets or meals etc at our destination. We have flown Premium once, when we got them on a late deal included and I couldn't justify the extra which sometimes is about £250+ pp, but as you said everyone's priorities differ :)

I see your point entirely. With 8 travelling that is a lot of extra cash, especially if you are going on a land based holiday.

I think we are looking at it more as couples on cruise holidays where meals and entertainment are included. The premium does add that extra comfort and service dimension.

Fully understand your reasoning, but as a couple having experienced on an overnight flight being sat next to someone that we were not comfortable with we would not travel in that situation again. Yes we have been in economy on a 767 and that was fine with the 2-4-2 configuration, but with the Dreamliner 3-3-3 you can just not sit as a couple & that's OK going out but overnight return its not for us. I do wish however that the cost for premium upgrade was as you say but unfortunately its a lot more so I can fully understand your post.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

We are currently in the No. 1 lounge at Birmingham Airport.

We stayed at the Novotel across the road overnight and checked in Premium club this morning. Fast track through security was excellent then into the lounge for a nice complementary breakfast. A very relaxed start to our flight to join Discovery.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back and thought the Dreamliner was lovely. Felt spacious and bright and we definitely had enough leg room in standard seats. However, I would recommend pre-booking the seats as we saw people who could not sit together. Also, wouldn't recommend booking seats near the toilets as there were queues some of the time and the isles aren't too wide so the people in these seats had bums and goodness knows what pushing against them:(

Having experienced the Dreamliner on a trip to Thailand last year, I swore the only way I'd be persuaded back onto it would be in Premium.

So we've just booked our very first cruise (sailing from Barbados on 4/2/18) with Premium both ways of course. I've also just reserved our seats and can confirm that the twos have nearly all gone.

Excited muchly!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app