Newbie Interested in the Danube

marketingmama

Have you looked at Emerald Waterways? I've been looking at Danube cruises and also suffered sticker shock. I came across an ad for Emerald Waterways yesterday, and started doing some research. Their pricing is much more competitive than the other lines, and they seem to be getting very good reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

We are off next week down the Danube with Emerald Waterways.

We always have a balcony on a cruise ship,but due to cost initially,we have the cheapest cabin,We'd decided to have the worst cabin on the best ship! Having read lots of reviews about river cruising,it appears that we will not be in the cabin much,spending a lot of time doing land tours,dining and on the top deck watching the local scenery on both sides.It also did not appeal to me to be docked next to another ship just inches away from someone else's balcony.

But time will tell....I am hoping to write a blog so watch this space and then see if I eat my hat!!!;)

Yes GCT river cruises are less costly than the other river cruise lines ;however ,one has to factor in the additional tours that are not included .Thus ,it is hard to compare apples to apples . ;)

GCT also has cabins that are all 160 sq ft , Avalon Waterways cabins are 172 sq ft :)

We did the Rhine cruise with Avalon & had a French Balcony .for our next river cruise we will book the least costly cabin ,since we are there to sleep & shower only .Avalon usually discounts 10% off the cruise price if bought 1 year in advance :D

We book our own air ;as we have a special deal through our time share for business class tickets, at very low cost:D

Yes GCT river cruises are less costly than the other river cruise lines ;however ,one has to factor in the additional tours that are not included .Thus ,it is hard to compare apples to apples . ;)

GCT also has cabins that are all 160 sq ft , Avalon Waterways cabins are 172 sq ft :)

We did the Rhine cruise with Avalon & had a French Balcony .for our next river cruise we will book the least costly cabin ,since we are there to sleep & shower only .Avalon usually discounts 10% off the cruise price if bought 1 year in advance :D

We book our own air ;as we have a special deal through our time share for business class tickets, at very low cost:D

Some of the optionals on GCT so are not included tours on other lines, add in the optional price of you would take and then see what the price difference is. 10% discounts for paying a year in advance are generally available on GCT. If all one does in the cabin is sleep and shower, what's the value added of 12 sq. ft.?

We like GCT and in all our price comparisons, they come out way ahead in terms of trip cost even with considering the cot of optionals . . . we tend to DIY. 160 sq. ft. Is more than adequate for our needs.

All that said, I would not turn down a trip on Avalon, or any other line. But, I'm not surfeit here is enough value added for me to pay for one of the other lines . . . YMMV

Edited by CPT Trips

Some of the optionals on GCT so are not included tours on other lines, add in the optional price of you would take and then see what the price difference is. 10% discounts for paying a year in advance are generally available on GCT. If all one does in the cabin is sleep and shower, what's the value added of 12 sq. ft.?

We like GCT and in all our price comparisons, they come out way ahead in terms of trip cost even with considering the cot of optionals . . . we tend to DIY. 160 sq. ft. Is more than adequate for our needs.

All that said, I would not turn down a trip on Avalon, or any other line. But, I'm not surfeit here is enough value added for me to pay for one of the other lines . . . YMMV

My thoughts exactly. On GCTs 'Great Rivers' trip the 3 optionals add up to $275 PP. This is far less than the $1000-2000 extra cost of some lines. They have the same type of daily excursions as the other lines but have these additional tours for those who want more. Some of the other lines do offer more luxury but you shouldn't use the additional cost of optionals as a deciding factor.

As for the extra 12 sq. ft. That makes a cabin 1 ft. wider. If you need this foot or a queen size bed do not go on GCT.

Edited by rogerdawhip

• 4 weeks later...

Well I won't eat my hat.We made exactly the right decision to not have a balcony.On the Danube,there were many occasions when the balconies and sliding windows were unusable.Sometimes all day.People did complain but that is river cruising and it did advise them in the terms and conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a 14 day Danube cruise with Emerald - and I can honestly tell you, we used our balcony...probably a couple of times and that's it. Because you're either going through a lock, or want some privacy etc...I mean it's not the same as an ocean cruise, you don't have "at sea" days and you literally only use your cabin to sleep and take a shower.

I suggest looking at French Balcony. I had a balcony on our Nile cruise which I did use but it was so small you could only sit facing each other and have any real leg room. I really loved the French Balcony on our Avalon cruise. It meant that our cabin had a bit more space and if we wanted fresh air we opened the patio door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suggest looking at French Balcony. I had a balcony on our Nile cruise which I did use but it was so small you could only sit facing each other and have any real leg room. I really loved the French Balcony on our Avalon cruise. It meant that our cabin had a bit more space and if we wanted fresh air we opened the patio door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I second that...french balcony is really nice on the Danube....and other river cruises....we always get one and have never regretted it. I tend to be claustrophobic and I need to be able to see outside so the wall/wall, floor/ceiling glass door is really appreciated, whether open or closed. There is the problem with rafting but that can turn out to be part of the experience if you're open to meeting new people on other ships.....and if not, it's really only noticeable during the day and you're usually off the ship then.