Viking Sun Rhine Getaway review August 2014

mimmy52

I hope to create a review much like Cruisinskier's except for the Viking Sun, Basel to Amsterdam, with photos not quite as good as his. Our cruise was August 17-24, 2014 with a two night pre-trip extension in Lucerne.

First I want to say what a wonderful experience the cruise and the pre-trip extension were. We paid extra for the airfare so we wouldn't have more than one connection or a flight that left at six in the morning. I'd previously checked airfares, and the fare we paid to Viking, even with the addition, was the same as we would have had to pay if we'd made the reservations through the airline.

On the ship, I can't imagine a harder working crew and staff. I think they had many late nights. The tours were great, the local guides always good, the new busses are nice. There were 189 passengers (there would have been 190 if my sister hadn't had to cancel), the youngest 32, the oldest 95, but most seemed to be 60s and 70s. At 71, I fit right in.

So if I learned correctly how to insert photos, I will start with the Lucerne extension.

We landed at 8:35 am in Zurich in the rain. The transfer from the airport to the Radisson Blu in Lucerne went smoothly and took about 45 minutes.

DSC02783_zps68995baf.jpg

Since check-in wasn't until 3:00, I went out in search of lunch. The train station is right around the corner from the hotel, and I stopped at a cafeteria-style place on the lower level.

Huh, the picture actually came through! I walked around the city a little, not going far.

All that is left standing from the old train station is the entrance.

DSC02754_zps1624c8f2.jpg

Did I mention the rain?

DSC02771_zps0d368718.jpg

When it started pouring buckets, I went back to the hotel and joined all the other Viking people sitting in the lobby.

Hi Mimmy. I am looking forward to your review, and to seeing the differences of a Rhine cruise in the opposite direction from ours. And you figured out the photos!!

Great start!! Looking forward to more and I know these reviews take a lot of time and commitment so thanks for that!!

Jerry

The only real irritation was waiting for our rooms to be ready. The lobby was filling up as people came in from the rain. We'd take turns asking reception if our rooms were ready. Then another big tour group came in, the guide went to reception and got all their keys, and passed them out. They went to their rooms! It would have been nice if Viking could have arranged something like that, although by then it was close to 3:00. That started our stampede to reception, though, and soon we were in our rooms.

DSC02774_zps619e696d.jpg

DSC02775_zps6bbb4adc.jpg

DSC02776_zpsf0a44a80.jpg

The sun was out, so it was time for another walk around the city. I could see the twin steeples of a church across the lake, so I set out to see it.

St. Leodegar (Hofkirche)

DSC02798_zps892716ad.jpg

This sculpture seemed built right into the side of the church

DSC02803_zpsb49da4c2.jpg

He looks so despairing

DSC02804_zpsd4faf06e.jpg

The color gold grabbed my attention inside the church

DSC02810_zps73c3a7b0.jpg

I started searching for a place to eat.

DSC02822_zps0456c634.jpg

But first I saw a chocolatier and had to buy some Swiss chocolate.

DSC02824_zps9d681518.jpg

Then I found a restaurant. Café de Ville on the 2nd floor of this building.

DSC02831_zps3d759c1e.jpg

The best and most reasonably priced food I had in Switzerland, but I didn't think to take a picture of the food.

DSC02825_zpsc4b42509.jpg

After I ate, sleep was calling me. I hardly slept on that 9 hour overnight flight, St. Louis to Atlanta to Zurich.

DW is looking forward to your review from a woman's POV!! She's excited to keep reading! No offence Jerry but she isn't a beer drinker :) You've already got her hooked Mimmy when you went to the chocolate first!

Saturday morning started with a great breakfast in the Radisson Blu dining room (included), then time for an included walking tour of Lucerne. KKL Lucerne was right around the corner from the hotel and in front is this fountain. The lighted structure changes color, but this morning it looked as though someone drowned in it.

DSC02838_zps7ee24f44.jpg

First stop Chapel Bridge and the Water Tower.

DSC02843_zps963cc530.jpg

Above us on the bridge were a series of paintings depicting scenes from Lucerne's history.

DSC02847_zps404f1e84.jpg

Inside the Jesuit church

DSC02864_zpscd8ee991.jpg

Lucerne doesn't have a castle. Gutsch is as close as it comes

DSC02852_zpsf4ed9a74.jpg

We passed a very crowded flea market and came to a second covered bridge, Spreuer Bridge. Overhead is a series of 17th century plague paintings titled Dance of Death.

DSC02902_zps39532f19.jpg

DSC02903_zps345f2512.jpg

We crossed the bridge into Old Town and visited plazas (platzs?) such as Weinmarkt and Kornmarkt, places where particular products such as wine and grain would have been sold. Many of the houses had beautifully painted facades.

DSC02918_zpse1f0d358.jpg

DSC02920_zps5c3f40b8.jpg

I think our guide told us this had been a goldsmith's house

DSC02934_zpsae9ad6e6.jpg

But look at that creepy ring the cherub on the far left is holding

DSC02940_zps4912325c.jpg

The walking tour ended about noon, and I stopped to eat at a place recommended by the guide. "Best pizza and pasta in town." I had soup (grandmother's recipe and salad). The sun was peeking out and it seemed a good time to walk the old city wall. I'd left my map at the hotel, but I thought I could find the way.

I could see a tower. Just needed to figure how to get to it.

DSC02998_zps1bfaa0d7.jpg

There was a helpful sign.

DSC03000_zps72e4e5f0.jpg

And some residents must want to be sure you don't think their property leads to the wall.

DSC02999_zps87e62bb3.jpg

The path I followed took me to the Clock Tower.

DSC03005_zps86e39738.jpg

I walked down by a different path and saw this guy who seemed be keeping an eye on the tourists.

DSC03044_zps0e2310d5.jpg

It was as steep going down as it was going up.

DSC03040_zps253b48d1.jpg

Back to the hotel. I crossed on the Spreuer Bridge. It has a chapel built into its side.

DSC03054_zps40d16f71.jpg

Checking my emails, I saw I had one from Viking. Due to high water levels, our cruise would not begin in Basel. Instead we would have a longer bus transfer to Breibach. Disappointing, but I don't think I would have gotten to Basel in time to see anything anyway. And as long as the whole cruise didn't become a bus tour, I was fine with it.

It was raining when I walked back to the hotel. An hour later, the sun was out again. I didn't want to leave Lucerne without taking a cruise around the lake, so I headed for the ticket office. I hadn't gone one block before it started to rain again, but I decided to take a chance on a one hour cruise on the Saphir. I got on the boat in bright sunshine.

DSC03098_zps3149c5c4.jpg

DSC03099_zps6a69dbf3.jpg

There was seating outside and inside. You could buy snacks or a drink.

DSC03122_zps630e82fa.jpg

The Saphir

DSC03138_zpsc94bc18c.jpg

The trip ended on the opposite side of the lake, right where I wanted to be--closer to the Lion Monument that commemorates the hundreds of Swiss guards/mercenaries who were massacred in the French Revolution. It was awesome. I don't think a photo does it justice.

DSC03150_zps623ae5de.jpg

Ack! It started raining yet again. I stopped at Restaurant Caravelle near the Lion Monument for dinner.

DSC03157_zps7bc5d6d4.jpg

Some nice sunset reflections on the way back.

DSC03179_zps76da6aa6.jpg

DSC03182_zps2ca8b7c5.jpg

And I sure would like to know what this was all about. A guy was carrying this flag and he seemed to need to get signatures from women.

DSC03184_zps63626d24.jpg