Viking Documents Question

seatrial

I received documents for our upcoming cruise. The documents and luggage tags were in a box, but not in any sort of plastic folder. Has Viking done away with the folder or is this possibly due to our low category cabin? This is of course not significant, but I am curious.

It was in 2014 that we took the Grand European. One of the items that Viking no longer provides is a lanyard and name tag - we really missed them since we're not great at remembering names. We did the France's Finest cruise in April of this year. We were not as impressed this year, and wonder if this had been our first Viking experience if we would have booked another cruise.

Just got our docs. Contents of the box was one set of cruise docs (itinerary, helpful info, cruise contract, etc.) for each of us, a booklet about the Danube (we're doing Budapest to Bucharest), two luggage tags (looks like leather or a reasonable fake), paper luggage tags for the ship, and two stickers to wear at the arrival airport.

The document presentation for our recent cruise was disappointing. We laughed about what was obviously just stuff thrown in a box, but we got the last laugh. We used a very nice canvas folder we got from Scenic a few years ago, so we advertised their competition!

For our first 3 Viking Cruises we got the lovely fabric Ipad document holders and all the name tags and lanyards. Our 4th cruise docs came in a box without nametags and landyards (but we have a couple of nice Explorer Club pins I'll never wear anywhere!) We thought perhaps once you've taken a few cruises they figure you don't need anymore Ipad holders and cut back.

We are taking our 5th Viking cruise in December--be interesting to see if we even get a box or if everything is in an envelope!

(We just figured they were looking to save expenses and that was easy low hanging fruit. Plus cheaper to ship.)

• 3 weeks later...
Has Viking done away with the folder or is this possibly due to our low category cabin? .

We got the folder for our March cruise, and we've just got another one with the documents for our July cruise. Both booked in aquarium class cabins.

Re the lanyards with name & home state badges. Noticed that no-one had them in March.

We never got them, only those booked via USA Viking got them AFAIK, now seems no-one...

Shame, I thought it was an excellent idea as it gives a talking point to start with when you see where people come from... and very useful when you forget the names of new friends

Edited by pontac

The document presentation for our recent cruise was disappointing. We laughed about what was obviously just stuff thrown in a box, but we got the last laugh. We used a very nice canvas folder we got from Scenic a few years ago, so we advertised their competition!

We advertise for all the companies we have traveled with....:D

We did get the new Viking luggage tags and they went on our bags - alongside the Uniworld and Scenic ones. We both carry Scenic backbacks - and I use zippered folders from Avalon & Uniworld (although I did use the Viking elastic band...) to carry all my travel documents.

Fran

This is our second cruise with Viking, first one in 2013. We have received our documents for our cruise at the end of June and we received another viking bag suitable for carrying an ipad. Same documents, book etc as 2013 when he sailed the Rhine. This year we are sailing the Rhone and Saone, really looking forward to our holiday.:)

Just returned from our 5th trip with Viking, got all of the usual things minus the lanyards and name tags, actually we haven't gotten them the past 3 we've done and personally glad to not have to have them hanging around our neck.

I will have to admit that I am among those who are just as happy not receiving a whole lot of stuff that will never get used. I don't have an iPad. I don't need yet another document case. All this stuff just ends up in the trash, unused. In my mind, it is a waste of money. Send me the two booklets, the luggage tags and whatever stickers and temporary tags I will need in minimal packaging and I will be a happy camper.

The only thing I'm sorry that they have done away with are name-tags. First, I'm terrible with names. Second, as someone already said, they are great conversation starters. Please Viking, bring back name tags.

I will have to admit that I am among those who are just as happy not receiving a whole lot of stuff that will never get used. I don't have an iPad. I don't need yet another document case. All this stuff just ends up in the trash, unused. In my mind, it is a waste of money. Send me the two booklets, the luggage tags and whatever stickers and temporary tags I will need in minimal packaging and I will be a happy camper.

The only thing I'm sorry that they have done away with are name-tags. First, I'm terrible with names. Second, as someone already said, they are great conversation starters. Please Viking, bring back name tags.

YIKES! So very glad to hear that we aren't going to get a bunch of crap with Viking logo all over it to identify us as cruise tourists! I already have an iPad cover and luggage totes. I can do with a temporary tag so my bag makes it onboard. Geez, why waste a bunch of $$ on this stuff? I would rather have more wine onboard! LOL! We received this kind of stuff from Brendan Tours and I was embarrassed to carry it 10 years ago on our first European trip.

However, I am very excited to receive our documents and hoping that should be any day now! Can't wait to see the box! :)

Just got my cruise docs today for my delightful cruise on July 27th on the Rinda.

As some of you already know, the Rinda will not be docking in Paris for the "Paris and Heart of Normandy" cruise. I went right to page 29 of the departure information booklet and there is a map. In the upper left corner is the word "Paris". Could this be a map of "Paris"? Page 28 says the docking place is Le Pecq. I would like to thank Viking for the fine job they do keeping their passengers informed. I really can't thank them for keeping their passengers.

Just got my cruise docs today for my delightful cruise on July 27th on the Rinda.

As some of you already know, the Rinda will not be docking in Paris for the "Paris and Heart of Normandy" cruise. I went right to page 29 of the departure information booklet and there is a map. In the upper left corner is the word "Paris". Could this be a map of "Paris"? Page 28 says the docking place is Le Pecq. I would like to thank Viking for the fine job they do keeping their passengers informed. I really can't thank them for keeping their passengers.

Dear MikeyB,

We regret to hear of any confusion caused by the port map in your cruise documents. If additional clarification would be helpful, please feel free to contact us at tellus@vikingcruises.com. We are looking forward to welcoming you aboard Viking Rinda next month.

Best Regards,

Viking Cruises

Just the day after my earlier post, a truck came up our driveway and delivered a silver Viking box containing our cruise documents! And I have to say, I was quite impressed! Bright red leather luggage tags, water resistant self adhesive luggage tags, a guide book of the Rhine & its Tributaries and 2 detailed itinerary booklets personalized with our names/reservation numbers....with awesome blank pages in the back that we can use as our daily trip journal to write impressions, fun facts, etc. Best part, the booklets are small enough to easily fit in zippered part of carryon tote. :)

Oh, and 2 red stickers to identify people at the airport for Viking transfers....which we don't need; we are doing our own transfers. Simple and Sweet! I loved it! Can't wait for this trip! :)

Yes JVillegal. the saga does continue.

And no Viking, you don't regret the confusion. How else can you put the port in Le Pecq instead of Paris and not call this cruise a major fiasco! You don't inform your customers of a change in port that will limit the amount of time in Paris. You don't step up and say we wish to assist you in taking your luggage in Paris. Or perhaps offering to pay for the additional costs in getting to the port that is not in Paris. Instead, you make it business as usual. You issue an itinerary that does not state where the boat will be on day 1, 2 and 7! Do we really do the Conflans walk )day 7) from LePecq instead of from Conflans? Of course you do!

You really don't care that you will never see me on another Viking cruise after this one.

Is this the model you think you can use for success?

What really surprises me is all my fellow passengers who are either unaware of what a waits them, or don't care!

YIKES! So very glad to hear that we aren't going to get a bunch of crap with Viking logo all over it to identify us as cruise tourists! I would rather have more wine onboard!

Viking tags are useful for identification when being met by Viking on arrival at airport.

More wine on board? It's never ending. We attempted to drink our boat dry but they just kept pouring till we admitted defeat :)

But better fizz, yes please !

More wine on board? It's never ending. We attempted to drink our boat dry but they just kept pouring till we admitted defeat. But better fizz, yes please !

I only like Sweet White Wine? Will I find this on the Viking Var (Rhine River) ? :confused: