Last minute worries - Vantage

Shmoo here

I know Hydrokitty just left on a vacation, but maybe others can chime in.

We’re coming down to the last few weeks before our trip. And, of course, I have several last minute questions. We’re taking a Vantage cruise. And there are 2 of us.

1) We’re going to be in Romania for 4 days before our cruise. We need to purchase a few meals and, maybe, some fruit/bread/cheese from markets for lighter fare. We’re going to need to hit up the ATM to get some money once there. Can someone give me a ballpark figure on how much per day you’d suggest having on hand? Along with that – tell me about food buying. Are there open markets, or more like what we have in the US (a building with food in it)?

2) In the pre-cruise info we got it says suggested gratuities for the Program Manager is $5.00-$8.00 per person per day. It also says there are 3 Program Managers. Do we tip each of them? Or are we assigned to one and that’s the one we tip? Or are the gratuities pooled to be divided by all 3? Also, $5.00-$8.00? Can we tip in US dollars? Or what?

3) Gratuities for room steward? How much?

4) Also tips for local guides/drivers – US or local currency?

I can help with a few of these questions.

You only tip your program manager, not all of them

Guide/driver tips are better in local currency but of course they will be delighted with any type on money. I always have extra local money esp at the end of the tour; I use that money for tipping so I don't have to worry about it when I get home.

I usually go to the ATM a few times if in the country for a while.

1) We’re going to be in Romania for 4 days before our cruise. We need to purchase a few meals and, maybe, some fruit/bread/cheese from markets for lighter fare. We’re going to need to hit up the ATM to get some money once there. Can someone give me a ballpark figure on how much per day you’d suggest having on hand? Along with that – tell me about food buying. Are there open markets, or more like what we have in the US (a building with food in it)?

Since you are going to be there for four days you might want to start with the equivalent of $20 or approx 79 RON, use that for small purchases and use a credit card for meals or larger purchases. If you do not use credit cards you might want to get more. Remember that if you have any left you can always use it for tips for the crew or program manager.

There are supermarkets. One must bag your own groceries and often pay for the bag. Supermarkets are a great place to buy water, wine, soft drinks, cookies & snacks, etc. They also take credit cards.

2) In the pre-cruise info we got it says suggested gratuities for the Program Manager is $5.00-$8.00 per person per day. It also says there are 3 Program Managers. Do we tip each of them? Or are we assigned to one and that’s the one we tip? Or are the gratuities pooled to be divided by all

3? Also, $5.00-$8.00? Can we tip in US dollars? Or what?

As didicruiser said, you will be assigned one Program Manager and you will be with him/her the whole trip. Gratuities are not pooled for the PM but are for the crew (a separate tip). You can tip in US Dollars. You will be given two envelopes at the end of the trip; one for the PM and the other for the crew. The envelope for the PM is handed directly to them and the envelope for the crew will be placed in a box which is usually located at the reception desk (or nearby) on the riverboat.

This tip is totally optional because they are part of the crew and the crew's tips are pooled. I always leave extra, usually about $20 for a 7 to 10 day cruise. You can use your left over local currency for this if you want.

Either is acceptable. They are happy to get any tips no matter what the currency type is.

Shmoo, one other thing you might want to do is print a "cheat sheet" currency converter before you leave home. You can print one for each currency that you might be using (3 or 4 on your trip?). It's much easier to refer to that than to calculate the conversion in your head :D.

Also, don't forget to call your bank or credit card company and let them know which counties you will using your credit card or ATM card.

My impression is that most folks who live in Europe but outside the Euro zone can use Euros pretty easily, more so that US dollars. When we were in Switzerland one of our guides mentioned that most people who live near the border do their shopping in Germany because the prices are cheaper. This would be particularly valid if your cruise is going from Romania into the Euro zone (or if the ship does on other itineraries).

I'm confused!

Has Vantage gone back to using Program Managers? Our first Vantage river cruise was in 2013, and we had PMs then which were wonderful. Last year, we had a Cruise Director and a Concierge. Program Managers were no longer used! I thought that was how things were now on Vantage ships in Europe. :confused:

I'm confused!

Has Vantage gone back to using Program Managers? Our first Vantage river cruise was in 2013, and we had PMs then which were wonderful. Last year, we had a Cruise Director and a Concierge. Program Managers were no longer used! I thought that was how things were now on Vantage ships in Europe. :confused:

Hmmmmmm, I don't know. I have only traveled with Vantage on a yacht and we only had one PM for 40 of us.

Let's say you work in the service industry somewhere in the US. A tourist from Hungary leaves you a decent tip in Forints. Would you be happy? Of course not.

Please be considerate and pay them in their local currency.

...Has Vantage gone back to using Program Managers? Our first Vantage river cruise was in 2013, and we had PMs then which were wonderful. Last year, we had a Cruise Director and a Concierge. Program Managers were no longer used! I thought that was how things were now on Vantage ships in Europe. :confused:
We had the newer Cruise Director / Concierge system on the Vantage River Venture and the Vantage River Discovery II in March and April 2015. I think the majority of our fellow passengers thought the old way was better but it is what it is. There was one suggested combined amount for the CD & Concierge which was automatically charged to your ship account (but could be removed if you preferred to tip in cash), and a second suggested amount for the combined ship crew which was not automatically charged, but could be charged if you requested (otherwise cash in an envelope for the combined crew, and in response to a question the Hotel Director said individual tips to specific crew members did not have to go in the pool.

I agree with Jazzbeau that lacking local currency, Euros are most gladly accepted and may even be preferred. When we traveled in Albania, we were told that locals PREFERRED Euros, gladly accepted US dollars, and NOBODY wanted Albanian leks. Indeed there are a number of countries that don't have a local currency (eg Montenegro, Kosovo, El Salvador, etc, etc) but just unilaterally use other countries' currency. Perhaps it could be claimed that this thereby makes the local currency of El Salvador the US dollar, but what is the local currency of Zimbabwe? (the local econmy there current operates in four different currencies: Botswana, South Africa, UK, and US).

Thom

Shmoo, one other thing you might want to do is print a "cheat sheet" currency converter before you leave home. You can print one for each currency that you might be using (3 or 4 on your trip?). It's much easier to refer to that than to calculate the conversion in your head :D.

Also, don't forget to call your bank or credit card company and let them know which counties you will using your credit card or ATM card.

We just notified the last one this morning. We've got that covered.

I'm confused!

All I know is in the information that we've thus far received from Vantage says "During your cruise you'll be accompanied by an experienced, English-speaking Vantage Program Manager - at least three on every Vantage river cruise ship."

and

"Prior to arriving at most ports, your Vantage Program Manager will conduct an informative briefing..."

Since I've not been on Vantage yet, I can't address whether this is dated information or things are different.

1)

2) In the pre-cruise info we got it says suggested gratuities for the Program Manager is $5.00-$8.00 per person per day. It also says there are 3 Program Managers. Do we tip each of them? Or are we assigned to one and that’s the one we tip? Or are the gratuities pooled to be divided by all

3? Also, $5.00-$8.00? Can we tip in US dollars? Or what?

As didicruiser said, you will be assigned one Program Manager and you will be with him/her the whole trip. Gratuities are not pooled for the PM but are for the crew (a separate tip). You can tip in US Dollars. You will be given two envelopes at the end of the trip; one for the PM and the other for the crew. The envelope for the PM is handed directly to them and the envelope for the crew will be placed in a box which is usually located at the reception desk (or nearby) on the riverboat.

OK, this leads to another question:

6) Does the tipping via the envelope (directly to PM and in the box for the crew) mean that tips cannot be added to our onboard account? That we must use cash?

Again, thanks for the help.

...Does the tipping via the envelope (directly to PM and in the box for the crew) mean that tips cannot be added to our onboard account? That we must use cash?...
Based on Spring 2015 on two different Vantage ships the PMs have been replaced with a CD & Concierge:
...There was one suggested combined amount for the CD & Concierge which was automatically charged to your ship account (but could be removed if you preferred to tip in cash), and a second suggested amount for the combined ship crew which was not automatically charged, but could be charged if you requested (otherwise cash in an envelope for the combined crew, and in response to a question the Hotel Director said individual tips to specific crew members did not have to go in the pool...
Thom

I know Hydrokitty just left on a vacation, but maybe others can chime in.

We’re coming down to the last few weeks before our trip. And, of course, I have several last minute questions. We’re taking a Vantage cruise. And there are 2 of us.

2) In the pre-cruise info we got it says suggested gratuities for the Program Manager is $5.00-$8.00 per person per day. It also says there are 3 Program Managers. Do we tip each of them? Or are we assigned to one and that’s the one we tip? Or are the gratuities pooled to be divided by all 3? Also, $5.00-$8.00? Can we tip in US dollars? Or what?

Hey Schmoo.....I'm back and I'm sorry I wasn't here to help you but apparently there's no internet, wifi, newspaper or tv on the Rocky Mountaineer and Via Rail!!! It was fantastic though. anyway back to YOU....I read all the posts and cannot add or change a thing. We used local currency for local guides/drivers for the simple reason that if I were a local guide or driver I would prefer my tip in local currency so that I could use it immediately without any hassle. Other than that, which is my own opinion, all the advice my CC pals gave you is spot on. :D

If you haven't left yet and still have questions e-mail me at chydro564@yahoo.com.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Hey Schmoo.....I'm back and I'm sorry I wasn't here to help you but apparently there's no internet, wifi, newspaper or tv on the Rocky Mountaineer and Via Rail!!! It was fantastic though. anyway back to YOU....I read all the posts and cannot add or change a thing. We used local currency for local guides/drivers for the simple reason that if I were a local guide or driver I would prefer my tip in local currency so that I could use it immediately without any hassle. Other than that, which is my own opinion, all the advice my CC pals gave you is spot on. :D

If you haven't left yet and still have questions e-mail me at chydro564@yahoo.com.

Thanks for getting back to me. I hope your trip was good (besides the being out of touch thing).

The only question I sort of still have remaining is the amount of cash we should have on hand while in Romania. We'd prefer to pay most things in cash and not credit card. While we do have a few included meals, we're going to need to pay for at least 1 or 2 dinners, and about 3 or 4 breakfasts/lunch (we're not really big eaters, so one or the other is usually fine for us). We thought about just purchasing basic bread, cheese, sodas, fruit and such from a market for us to have for those. Of course, once on the ship, it's not a problem.

Thanks for getting back to me. I hope your trip was good (besides the being out of touch thing).

The only question I sort of still have remaining is the amount of cash we should have on hand while in Romania. We'd prefer to pay most things in cash and not credit card. While we do have a few included meals, we're going to need to pay for at least 1 or 2 dinners, and about 3 or 4 breakfasts/lunch (we're not really big eaters, so one or the other is usually fine for us). We thought about just purchasing basic bread, cheese, sodas, fruit and such from a market for us to have for those. Of course, once on the ship, it's not a problem.

Excellent website for you to visit is: Romaniatourism.com/practical information. They even list the costs for everyday things like a Big Mac, bread, etc. and they offer some very good info on money issues. Remember Romanian Lei cannot be purchased or sold outside of their borders so make sure you get rid of it before you leave or its worthless.... right now $1 US = 4 LEI (plural of LEU) I know you're averse to using credit cards but in the big cities M/C and Visa are accepted in most hotels, car rental, stores and restaurants. ATMs that have the STAR and/or PLUS logo will accept US bank cards. I urge you to visit the web site, I found it a treasure trove of information.

Got another one

7) We're basically doing a back-to-back cruise (two cruises, but was sold as one), will we settle our onboard account between the two legs, or will it carry over? (Does that make sense?)

It does make sense and I think it's a really good question! Wish I could say with authority but I can't. I would think though, that since you're booked as one cruise the full length of the Danube you would settle up at the end of your cruise not in the middle. However, you will have the same amount of gratuity whether you pay in Budapest or Bonn so if they ask for it at the end of the first leg, just give half and then at the end of the second leg you'll give the other half. The only reason I can think of for asking you to pay at the end of the first leg would be if there's a change of crew, which would be unusual in river cruising. (Does that make sense?) :confused:

Edited by Hydrokitty

Excellent website for you to visit is: Romaniatourism.com/practical information. They even list the costs for everyday things like a Big Mac, bread, etc. and they offer some very good info on money issues. Remember Romanian Lei cannot be purchased or sold outside of their borders so make sure you get rid of it before you leave or its worthless.... right now $1 US = 4 LEI (plural of LEU) I know you're averse to using credit cards but in the big cities M/C and Visa are accepted in most hotels, car rental, stores and restaurants. ATMs that have the STAR and/or PLUS logo will accept US bank cards. I urge you to visit the web site, I found it a treasure trove of information.

It does make sense and I think it's a really good question! Wish I could say with authority but I can't. I would think though, that since you're booked as one cruise the full length of the Danube you would settle up at the end of your cruise not in the middle. However, you will have the same amount of gratuity whether you pay in Budapest or Bonn so if they ask for it at the end of the first leg, just give half and then at the end of the second leg you'll give the other half. The only reason I can think of for asking you to pay at the end of the first leg would be if there's a change of crew, which would be unusual in river cruising. (Does that make sense?) :confused:

Yes, it does. :)

Thanks for the website, I'll check it out.

BTW, is it pronounced LAY or LEE or LIE?

Edited by Shmoo here

..."ship's crew and staff". Who does that cover?
Everybody except the Cruise Director and Concierge. I know that on Grand Circle the crew tip pool is split between everyone from the dishwashers and deck hands to the Captain - I think Vantage is the same way. If you do end up with Romanian lei, the boat almost certainly will be back in Romania during the season, so leaving those as an extra in the tip pool or to some of the Romanians who work on board is a possibility.

Thom

Everybody except the Cruise Director and Concierge. I know that on Grand Circle the crew tip pool is split between everyone from the dishwashers and deck hands to the Captain - I think Vantage is the same way. If you do end up with Romanian lei, the boat almost certainly will be back in Romania during the season, so leaving those as an extra in the tip pool or to some of the Romanians who work on board is a possibility.

Thom

Thanks. I guess I'm a little confused because the booklet we got from Vantage states "Gratuities are included for meals provided by Vantage as part of your program". But then says "While at your discretion, we recommend 9-11 euros per person per day which includes all of the onboard ship staff".

And your reply seems to agree with the second quote.

So, the dining staff get basically tipped twice (once included and then a cut from the pool)?

Oh, and unlike the online information we were given re: 3 Program Directors onboard every ship, the booklet does state there is a Cruise Director and a Concierge. And they share the pooled tip designated for them.

Edited by Shmoo here