Poor hygiene regime on recent Scenic cruise and lack of customer service afterwards

L.F.

My wife and I were on the Enchanting Rhone cruise on Scenic Emerald from 13-20 April. I noticed immediately we boarded that the hand sanitisers at the entrance to the restaurant were not working. When I pointed this out I was told that this was because they were awaiting replacement batteries.

On every other cruise I have been on, including the Scenic Danube Discovery last year, the importance of using the sanitiser every time has been emphasised and someone was stationed at the sanitisers at each mealtime to ensure that everyone was using them. This did not happen on the Rhone cruise. On complaining, I was offered a sanitiser bottle for my own use but I had to point out that everyone should be sanitising their hands before eating not just me. I was very surprised that I had to point this out.

On the Saturday (6 days into the cruise) we were told that there was what was believed to be a gastrointestinal virus on the ship and that an increasing number of people were becoming ill. At this stage, one of the portable sanitisers from the reception area was placed outside the restaurant and we were advised to use it. The next day I came down with the virus and, as a result, missed the Beaujolais visit (which would have been one of the highlights for me) and the Captain’s dinner, amongst other things. I believe that my illness was a direct result of the poor hygiene regime

aboard the ship and so was completely avoidable.

I wrote to complain after the cruise and had to send a reminder after four weeks. The eventual reply was superficial and flippant and didn't address the issues I had raised. When I complained again it took two and a half weeks for them to offer a discount on another holiday. As we would be unlikely to book again with Scenic, given the poor hygiene regime, I asked for a partial cash refund. They refused.

Unfortunately, Norovirus is a fact of life. It is also hard to find a starting point or to stop its spread. People who travel outside their homes are at risk of getting or passing the virus. For a cruise line to actually give compensation would be like a mall giving someone a discount because they said they got the bug at the mall. Perhaps this first time poster was the one who got the virus elsewhere and brought it back to the boat? There is no way to know. We each take care of our own sanitation and when away from home should know that licking our fingers or eating fresh fruits that have not been washed are possible ways to transfer this bug. I would be most worried about what was going on in the kitchen of the Scenic Emerald, which I can't control, than the fact that a sanitizer was not working. Using the sanitizer before sitting down at the table might help, but touching a place that someone else has recently touched after using the sanitizer would mean that I am contaminated again. Best to wash hands regularly and keep them out of mouths no matter where you are, boat or mall.

I can understand OP's frustration. One knows there's a chance of getting sick on a cruise even under the best of circumstances but when the ship seems to have such little concern for encouraging use of sanitizer when it is supposed to help cut down on the possibility of illness it would be frustrating. They had the equipment, they needed batteries? How hard would it have been to pop off and get some. Simple maintenance of things like that should be automatic. The ship can't stop the virus but they sure could have done everything within their power to help prevent it.

it is posted on trip advisor also post #248

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k3727369-o240-Scenic_Tours_European_River_Cruises-Cruises.html

There is nothing stopping the passengers from washing with soap & water either

maybe the sanitizers outside the dining room require special batteries they are not the same as the one at the entrance to the ship

The ones we had were a large box on the wall where you put your hands in & then the spray is activated

Edited by LHT28

Well I guess this will teach Scenic to "act like" these complaints are serious :)

Don't get me wrong but they could have dealt with this onboard so easily... Poor show on Scenics part. I also read this on TripAdvisor.

So bad publicity, that on Trip Advisor will stick with Scenic for quite awhile. Too bad a $10 battery would have fixed this.

But then there would have been something else to complain about! ;)

I can think of one time that the machine at the dining room wasn't working. At dinner, the Maitre d' greeted each cruiser with a squirt of sanitizer from the spray bottle he was holding. The next breakfast it was one of the waitstaff. At lunch the sanitizer was working again. When a visible, easy to work around situation exists, then I wonder what else is "off" that I can't see.

Most Purell sanitizers do not protect you against Norovirus. I did see that they are now making one and is for sale in Canada (but still difficult to find according to my Canadian friends) that does kill norovirus. I have yet to see this in the US.

The best safeguard against Norovirus is the old fashion washing hands with warm/hot water and soap. I personally think Purell gives people a fake sense of protection. That is until the version that kills Norovirus is available everywhere and everyone is using it.

I can think of one time that the machine at the dining room wasn't working. At dinner, the Maitre d' greeted each cruiser with a squirt of sanitizer from the spray bottle he was holding. The next breakfast it was one of the waitstaff. At lunch the sanitizer was working again. When a visible, easy to work around situation exists, then I wonder what else is "off" that I can't see.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking.

The most bugs and disease are found on the Menus. Therefore, you should go wash your hands AFTER ordering your meal. :eek:

...or the salt and pepper shakers, or the handles of the serving utensils on the buffet! There is a product you can order online that does kill norovirus. It is called Zylast and I found out about it on one of the CC ocean line boards. It also comes in a lotion form in case those alcohol based ones dry your skin out too much. We ordered it and also the foaming soap to keep in our bathroom on ocean cruises (doubt we will take the soap with us on the river cruise). It is supposed to stay on your skin and last for several hours. Don't know if it works any better, but we have not gotten sick since we started using it, so it's worth a try.

The most bugs and disease are found on the Menus. Therefore, you should go wash your hands AFTER ordering your meal. :eek:

But then the waiter carries your plate of food to the table and sets it down in front of you, picks up your glass and pours your wine......etc. etc. ad nauseum.

I think if everyone were reasonably careful, like washing their hands after using the bathroom, touching a handrail, returning to the ship, before going to meals....we would probably be OK....but if only 99% of the people do that it doesn't work. It's a serious problem whether traveling by boat, plane, train or even car...and you really can't do anything to completely avoid contamination unless you wear a hazmat suit. :eek:

Guideline Reminders: no attacking posters' motivations, and no discussing board moderation. Keep this thread on topic, please.

Hi Jazzbeau,

It would have been much easier for me if you had posted this when my posts were taken off the forum.

I would have then understood why.

Thank you

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But then the waiter carries your plate of food to the table and sets it down in front of you, picks up your glass and pours your wine......etc. etc. ad nauseum.

I think if everyone were reasonably careful, like washing their hands after using the bathroom, touching a handrail, returning to the ship, before going to meals....we would probably be OK....but if only 99% of the people do that it doesn't work. It's a serious problem whether traveling by boat, plane, train or even car...and you really can't do anything to completely avoid contamination unless you wear a hazmat suit. :eek:

Couldnt agree more.

Taking responsibility for oneself would make all the difference, instead of relying on sanitisers provided by a third party.

It is a great habit to get into on board ship, train, plane etc to wash your hands thoroughly before eating.

We probably all do that at home, but I guess sometimes on holiday we get caught up in the moment and habits get forgotten.

Here in Oz we often have tv campaigns aimed at hand washing to help deter diseases, but it doesnt always work unfortunately.

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Jazzbeau' date='

It would have been much easier for me if you had posted this when my posts were taken off the forum.

Thank you

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

I agree with this! Also while we can not send a private message I believe our "Host" can and should reach out and let us air our feelings and issue if there is one. Simply removing a post with out the ability to vent or ask questions causes ANGER in my opinion!

The latest in cruisewear......hazmat suits!!!!

Hi Jazzbeau' date='

Thank you

Chris[/quote']

I agree with this! Also while we can not send a private message I believe our "Host" can and should reach out and let us air our feelings and issue if there is one. Simply removing a post with out the ability to vent or ask questions causes ANGER in my opinion!

Chris - Actually, Hosts aren't supposed to offer even the belated explanation that I did. When you joined Cruise Critic you clicked on a box that acknowledged you had read the Guidelines [of course you didn't read them -- neither did I -- but the expectation is that all CC members know them]. I only intervened because the thread had exploded with comments and questions about my moderation.

JVilleGal - Everyone is free to vent and ask questions, but not to violate the Guidelines by attacking other posters or questioning Host moderation. I didn't write the Guidelines, but my job is to enforce them. I try to take a gentle hand, but this thread exceeded my limits of toleration.

And that is all I will have to say about any of that. Since OP hasn't been back, this thread is now closed.