Tauck's French Waterways 2016

need2travel1

Hi All,

We are interested in taking Tauck's 2016 French Waterways river cruise & would love to hear from anyone who has been on this itinerary before or who has done a Tauck river cruise before. We'd love any info anyone has as we want to book by this August for next July. We've done 8 land tours w/ Tauck (we leave for #9 in 2 weeks) & did a Uniworld river cruise from Paris to Normandy last year.

So, details please, all info will be greatly appreciated:) Thank you!

We did this river cruise last August and had a great time! It was our first river cruise and we did not know what to expect, but it was a wonderful experience! We had done numerous large cruise ship trips as well as several European land trips, so when my sister suggested a river cruise-we wanted to try this mode of travel as well.

Tauck was a great tour company to travel with and I feel like they went that extra mile to pamper us. The hotel in Paris was amazing and the Tauck staff was present to help with ideas for free time, restaurants, etc. We loved all the excursions and the tour guides were very knowledgeable. The ship was very nice and food was delicious. The ships staff was amazing and always eager to please! The ports were beautiful and we saw pretty much everything each port was famous for on our excursions. Loved Lyon the best and I wish I could have stayed a few days at the end of our tour to explore this city more. I will go back there again one day. Our time in Paris was amble for us as we had been there before, but for a person that has not been to Paris-they might would want an extra few days before the tour starts to see all the sights.

If you have any questions-I will be glad to answer them! Loved Tauck and this trip!

While we haven't done the French Waterways itinerary, we just returned from Taucks Paris to Monte Carlo cruise. It was our first Tauck trip and our first river cruise. We loved it.

The boat is the Swiss Emerald. It was well kept up and the crew fantastic. Several of our stops are the same as the French Waterways. We actually began our trip in London so we sailed into Paris on the Swiss Sapphire. W spent two days on the boat instead of being in a hotel as you will. My sister joined the trip in Paris so she spent 2 days at the Intercontinental Grand. The hotel is in a great location for both walking to many of the most popular sites and easy access to Paris Metro. If you haven't been to Paris, I recommend you spend several days before the start of the Tauck trip. You can see Paris to even touch the surface in 2 days.

The transfer to Lyon was done by coach. Our train left at around 1:20pm and the buses from the hotel arrived at the station by about 12:30pm. Tauck has groups of seats reserved and our tour directors let everyone chose their own within the group. They were in the first class cars as usual for Tauck.

Arrival in Lyon was around 4:00 and we went right to the Swiss Emerald docked on the Soane, near the confluence. Our cruise first sailed up the Soane and then the Rhone so I can't help with your first stops.

Woops. Will continue in next post.

Edited by Grothj

Thank you GrothJ!

cruiserfromalabama,

I found your review a few weeks ago, it was a great review & helped us decide for certain that this is the trip we want, thank you! I may bother you again in a few weeks when we book it. (Right now I really have to concentrate on this year's vacation-it seems I'm always thinking 1 trip ahead of what I'm actually doing:)

Thanks again to both of you!

Jumping in here:

I'm hoping that Tauck travelers can give me some sense of when tours start in the morning. Mainly: Is it usual for one to be up and about by 7:00 or so-- or do tours go out later so that folks can sleep in if they desire?

How much noise did you hear from adjoining cabins or from the boat itself?

Was it fairly easy to get tables for two at dinner?

Thank you.

Hi, Poss,

I understand there are very few "Tables for Two" and that they are very close together so that you may as well be at a 4- or 6-Top. Get to the DR early! :eek:

I also believe that the tours leave at staggered times. I like going early; however, because I chose November, it will be dark so I have decided to sign up for the latest tours and there may be less pax on the later ones.

Don't know about noise. It probably depends upon how light a sleeper you are.

Poss, A Tauck morning tour of the town with a local guide usually starts between 8.30 and 9am.

There are no tables for two in the main restaurant but if you wish to dine in the Lido there are tables for two but the menu is fixed. Still very nice but fixed.

I can't recall hearing any noise from the adjoining cabins and as for engine noise it never annoyed me or kept me awake at night. I had also posted in another thread that I never heard anyone on board complain about engine noise even those in cabins near the stern.

As previous people have said-most tours were around 9:00 each day. We are early risers and we were usually in dining room for breakfast each morning at 7:00. The staff was very attentive and always would almost immediately bring us our favorite fried eggs over medium! One morning they did not have my favorite chocolate croissant and the chief was making them as we sat down. The sweet head waiter brought me some just as soon as they came out of the oven. Wonderful service! We had a party of eight and since there were no tables for eight, as we boarded the ship I went and talked to the head waiter and she arranged for us to have one. It was set up for us each night and they were looking for us as we would come into the dining room for dinner. One night we got there and another passenger was trying to get our table for a group that had all met and formed a little group, but the staff told them that it was ours for the entire trip. So, if you went and inquired about a table for two-they would probably try to accommodate you. Breakfast and lunches would not be a problem for you to have a table for two as people come in randomly and we often ate at a table for four-just my husband and me, but I would go early if you could.

Tauck, as you know, try to make your trip as wonderful as they can! They are extremely helpful and friendly. My husband wanted to do the bicycle trip and he waited too late to sign up, but the guide made sure a bike was made available for him and he got to go. This was one of his favorite excursions of the whole trip. Can not say enough good things about the Tauck trip!

I just came back from a land tour with Tauck and loved it. I did a Rhone cruise with Vantage a few years ago. Below is the link to the trip story:

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/burgundy2012.pdf

We are happy to answer any questions.

Steve & Kathy:

Thank you very much for your Blog. Although on a different line and river, I so enjoy reading about your adventures. The photos are fantastic! ;)

• 11 months later...

Was wondering who else is planning on traveling 7/13 from Paris French Waterways river cruise?

Our first river cruise and we are very excited. We have traveled to Alaska on Princess and I have been to the Caribbean.

New experience for both of us and looking forward to smaller ship.

Anyone from NYC/NJ/CT metro area?

Hardest decision is packing light due post cruise. We are going along the Rhine for a week on our own and dread over packing. Less is more.

Women always seem to need more shoes:rolleyes:;)

Any suggestions for cruise?