Bucharest/Budapest Eastern Europe river cruise

CJcruzer

what months would be best to do the Eastern Europe river cruise, re: water levels and temperatures/weather?

i already have read on the boards that Bucharest to Budapest is preferred. Any thoughts?

Carol

We went with Vantage last year from Budapest to Bucharest (actually Constanta, but they changed itinerary for 2015). We went in late June and weather was wonderful...no rain....water levels were fine...and temps ranged from 70-80 depending on where we were. I know I was in capris and cotton tops virtually every day....of course, that's no guarantee....the rivers have a mind of their own!!

Hi - we did this starting in Bucharest - as we had been told that you sail from the "have not" to the "have" ports (ie: greater recovery of the areas as you cruise towards Budapest....). We extended a couple of days in Budapest on our own at the end.

We went in late April - and it was HOT. The temperatures averaged above 30 C the entire trip. Water levels OK - but it was early in the season.

Fran

I don't know if this is the best time, but my wife and I are signed up to sail this route with Vantage in September of 2016...so I'm hoping that the weather and water levels are nice then.

We are also signed up for the Transylvania extension, 1 night in Bucharest, followed by 3 nights in Brasov, for $550 a person. This is one place I saw a lot of difference between lines. Other lines only did 1 night in Brasov, and 2 in Bucharest; they also served fewer meals than Vantage AND were $250 more per person. Vantage also has you on the boat for 9 nights and 1 night in a hotel in Bucharest, other lines do 7 nights on the boat and 2 nights hotel time.

Usually you can do the extensions on your own for much cheaper, but this one seemed reasonable. Another line, you can go to Istanbul.

Lots of options out there, have fun looking, although not as much info out there for this route. So for the folks who sailed this route, please feel free to tell some stories. :)

We did Viking Bucharest to Budapest a year ago the second week in June and the weather was good. A couple days of rain, a few hot ones, but otherwise, moderate temps.. We had no issues with water levels. Also, at that early in the season, we didn't encounter the huge crowds I'd read about until the post cruise extension we did in Prague.

Becki

First, weather drives the river levels and the weather seems to have become increasingly fickle. I'm not sure it is safe to advocate one season over another weather-wise. Having said that, my wife and I are late-season travelers because of low crowds and moderate temps. We sailed the Viking Bucharest to Budapest with the Romania extension in Nov 2014 and the weather was reasonable.

Regardless of time, I think you're correct that the westward passage will leave a better impression. The last days in Budapest were particularly wonderful.

We did Viking's Budapest to Bucharest with a pre-cruise in Prague in April, 2015.

I don't function in hot weather --and my definition of hot is 75--so the last two weeks of April were pretty good for me. If it weren't for other commitments, I would have gone even earlier. However, the downside of traveling when we did this year was that after the harsh winter, Spring was slow to bloom and the countryside was still sporting some of the winter gloom. The water levels were fine and I can't remember if there were any low bridges that would have been an issue if the water levels had been higher. So much for my memory.

We traveled Budapest to Bucharest and really had no trouble with traveling back in time. IMHO, I wouldn't immediately eliminate half of the sail dates just because they are sailing the wrong direction.

I did however feel that one day and one night in Bucharest was not enough time. Had I known in advance how much we were going to like the city, I would have added a night somehow. We were there on a Sunday and the shops close early on Sunday. With an extra day, I think we would have taken in the Old Town and gone back to the Open Air Museum to spend more time exploring more of the buildings.

We did Viking's Budapest to Bucharest with a pre-cruise in Prague in April, 2015.

I don't function in hot weather --and my definition of hot is 75--so the last two weeks of April were pretty good for me. If it weren't for other commitments, I would have gone even earlier. However, the downside of traveling when we did this year was that after the harsh winter, Spring was slow to bloom and the countryside was still sporting some of the winter gloom. The water levels were fine and I can't remember if there were any low bridges that would have been an issue if the water levels had been higher. So much for my memory.

We traveled Budapest to Bucharest and really had no trouble with traveling back in time. IMHO, I wouldn't immediately eliminate half of the sail dates just because they are sailing the wrong direction.

I did however feel that one day and one night in Bucharest was not enough time. Had I known in advance how much we were going to like the city, I would have added a night somehow. We were there on a Sunday and the shops close early on Sunday. With an extra day, I think we would have taken in the Old Town and gone back to the Open Air Museum to spend more time exploring more of the buildings.

Hi Peregrina,

We are leaving Sept 27 for Passage to Eastern Europe . We are doing the post extension in Bucharest to do Transylvania.

Can you give me some current information on money - I really don't want to get 5 currencies. I have leftover euros ( which I will take a beating on ) from France land trip last year. That and Capital One Visa was what I was hoping to use. Is that reasonable? I might get some forints for Budapest, but we have been there before on the Ama Budapest to Prague which we did pre and post extensions, so I don't think I need to buy "souvenir" stuff in Budapest since we were there for 3 days and did a lot on our own. Hopefully will only need credit card for dinners in Romania for 3 days.

Also, how were the hotels that Viking put you in. We were in the Sofitel right at the Chain Bridge the last time we were in Budapest (Ama ). It was fantastic. We haven't been on a longship before. Treasures of the Rhine was on a regular Viking river ship. Aquavit Terrace will be new. Did you find the enhancements on the longship really nice ? Thanks for any info you can give. Did you do a blog or end review ?? Thanks, Linda V See you on the Viking Sea : Into the Midnight sun June 18,2016. Can't believe how active your roll call is.

We did the same trip in June, 2014 but we were with Vantage. We both have the same impressions though, weather was fine, Prague was wonderful, no problem going from "established" to "emerging" and we wish we had more time in Bucharest!! :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Hi Peregrina,

We are leaving Sept 27 for Passage to Eastern Europe . We are doing the post extension in Bucharest to do Transylvania.

Can you give me some current information on money - I really don't want to get 5 currencies. I have leftover euros ( which I will take a beating on ) from France land trip last year. That and Capital One Visa was what I was hoping to use. Is that reasonable? I might get some forints for Budapest, but we have been there before on the Ama Budapest to Prague which we did pre and post extensions, so I don't think I need to buy "souvenir" stuff in Budapest since we were there for 3 days and did a lot on our own. Hopefully will only need credit card for dinners in Romania for 3 days.

Also, how were the hotels that Viking put you in. We were in the Sofitel right at the Chain Bridge the last time we were in Budapest (Ama ). It was fantastic. We haven't been on a longship before. Treasures of the Rhine was on a regular Viking river ship. Aquavit Terrace will be new. Did you find the enhancements on the longship really nice ? Thanks for any info you can give. Did you do a blog or end review ?? Thanks, Linda V See you on the Viking Sea : Into the Midnight sun June 18,2016. Can't believe how active your roll call is.

Linda, I haven't gotten to doing my blog yet (I've been so busy since I got home) but I have been posting a lot on the thread Everything Passage to Eastern Europe.

As for the money, we did not get any currency before we left home--too damned expensive with all the fees and the poor exchange rate. We hit the ATM when we got to Prague and again in Budapest. Some places along the way took our euros but not dollars (if you are in euro-land, consider hitting an ATM at the airport when you change planes--and with rates so low, now may be a good time to buy euros for future use even if you don't use them on this trip). We did not get any currency in Serbia, Croatia, Bulgaria or Romania and used a credit card where we could --and went without if we couldn't.

We travel with CapOne credit cards and an ATM only card for our 'travel' account (which is not linked to any of our other bank accounts and contains just a couple of thousand dollars (to limit risk of loss) to be used when we travel). I don't own any debit cards.

Viking had us in the Budapest Hilton, right in the middle of the Fisherman's Bastion and with a view of the Parliament. WOW! In Bucharest, it was the Radisson (we were in the hotel for less than 24 hours). Both hotels were 5 star.

I can't really make comparisons about the Longships, because out first Viking journey was in China and our second was in Ukraine and in neither country does Viking own the ships (not permitted by law in either country). The Ukraine trip was never touted as having 'luxury' accommodations; we slept in Pullman beds and the bathroom was described as 'yacht-style'. In any case, the brand-new Longship accommodations were a distinct improvement over our previous experiences.

Linda, I haven't gotten to doing my blog yet (I've been so busy since I got home) but I have been posting a lot on the thread Everything Passage to Eastern Europe.

As for the money, we did not get any currency before we left home--too damned expensive with all the fees and the poor exchange rate. We hit the ATM when we got to Prague and again in Budapest. Some places along the way took our euros but not dollars (if you are in euro-land, consider hitting an ATM at the airport when you change planes--and with rates so low, now may be a good time to buy euros for future use even if you don't use them on this trip). We did not get any currency in Serbia, Croatia, Bulgaria or Romania and used a credit card where we could --and went without if we couldn't.

We travel with CapOne credit cards and an ATM only card for our 'travel' account (which is not linked to any of our other bank accounts and contains just a couple of thousand dollars (to limit risk of loss) to be used when we travel). I don't own any debit cards.

Viking had us in the Budapest Hilton, right in the middle of the Fisherman's Bastion and with a view of the Parliament. WOW! In Bucharest, it was the Radisson (we were in the hotel for less than 24 hours). Both hotels were 5 star.

I can't really make comparisons about the Longships, because out first Viking journey was in China and our second was in Ukraine and in neither country does Viking own the ships (not permitted by law in either country). The Ukraine trip was never touted as having 'luxury' accommodations; we slept in Pullman beds and the bathroom was described as 'yacht-style'. In any case, the brand-new Longship accommodations were a distinct improvement over our previous experiences.

Thanks for the info ! We will take our expensive euros from last year ($1.42 ) : ( and our Cap One card and not get all the different currencies.

Our papers say we will be on the Pest side in the Meridian in Budapest and the Radisson in Bucharest 2 nights and Ramada in Transylvania. Hoping to do some new things in Budapest this trip - Hospital in the Rocks and Szechenyi Baths that we didn't have time to do last time , maybe Statue park. Just love Budapest and all the little cafes. I'll have to check with you on China before we book. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Linda, my email address is in my signature. Drop me a line and we can talk about China privately.

Thank you I will do that. Trying to juggle 5 bookings right now. Most important was to rebook a cancelled TA on Princess from Barcelona Oct 2016. Found a Celebrity Spain and Portgual ( No TA ) with liqour pkg and OBC, so after disappointment, very happy. Back to Eastern Passage now. I just received a very nice brochure from Romania tourism (fast) Since we are doing the post trip to Transylvania I'm interested in looking at this information that I just received.

Thanks for the info ! We will take our expensive euros from last year ($1.42 ) : ( and our Cap One card and not get all the different currencies.

Our papers say we will be on the Pest side in the Meridian in Budapest and the Radisson in Bucharest 2 nights and Ramada in Transylvania. Hoping to do some new things in Budapest this trip - Hospital in the Rocks and Szechenyi Baths that we didn't have time to do last time , maybe Statue park. Just love Budapest and all the little cafes. I'll have to check with you on China before we book. Thanks again.

We were in Le Meridian in Budapest - and it is quite central. A fairly quick walk to our favourite restaurant (Cafe Kor) - and the walk across the Chain Bridge to the funicular was easily manageable. It is easy to get to the House of Terror from there as well - if that interests you. Of course, we have found almost everything (except Statue Park) walkable.

There is a bus that goes to Statue park - and it boards quite close to Le Meridian. The cost includes the return bus ride and entry into the park. The park is *not* big - so the 2 hrs or so they give you should be plenty of time. We actually booked a private tour --> the guide picked us up at the hotel in a Trabant (my husband was very excited....) - drove us to the park - went in with us (we had to pay our own admission) and explained the history behind the statues. My husband then got to drive the car ( VERY excited now... lol) and we went to Gellert Hill. We hadn't been there before - and it was an amazing view. Instead of returning to the hotel, we asked him to drop us at the market - and we went in for lunch and some shopping.

Enjoy your planning!!

Fran

Edited by franski

We did the Bucharest to Budapest version of this, in October 2014 on Avalon. I preferred the poor to relatively not poor trip up the Danube. We spent 3 days wandering in Bucharest before we did 3 days in Budapest. Budapest is spectacular. We stayed at the Marriott next to the river, with a view of the Chain Bridge, ate one night at a hotel just behind ours near the most fancy square, and I had a steak preserved in lard that was beyond spectacular. Don't tell my doctor.:eek: We then took the train to Vienna for a few more days. Budapest is rich compared to Bucharest and Belgrade, but compared to Vienna they all look a little shoddy. That said, Budapest is in the sweet spot on value. Vienna is tres chic pricey, Budapest is expensive but still a value. Bucharest is just cheap and very nice. So, if spending money is something you want to avoid, I am here to endorse Bucharest.

jc

We were in Le Meridian in Budapest - and it is quite central. A fairly quick walk to our favourite restaurant (Cafe Kor) - and the walk across the Chain Bridge to the funicular was easily manageable. It is easy to get to the House of Terror from there as well - if that interests you. Of course, we have found almost everything (except Statue Park) walkable.

There is a bus that goes to Statue park - and it boards quite close to Le Meridian. The cost includes the return bus ride and entry into the park. The park is *not* big - so the 2 hrs or so they give you should be plenty of time. We actually booked a private tour --> the guide picked us up at the hotel in a Trabant (my husband was very excited....) - drove us to the park - went in with us (we had to pay our own admission) and explained the history behind the statues. My husband then got to drive the car ( VERY excited now... lol) and we went to Gellert Hill. We hadn't been there before - and it was an amazing view. Instead of returning to the hotel, we asked him to drop us at the market - and we went in for lunch and some shopping.

Enjoy your planning!!

Fran

Would love to know your guide's name for Statue park and Gellert Hill if you would share it. Actually we went to House of Terror last trip, as well as St Stephen's Basilica, found a few sculptures like the Princess(elf) down by the river as well as the shoes on the Danube promenade, toured the The Great Synagogue and cemetery with tree memorial. We found a little cafe :the First Strudel House of Pest that we walked to from the Sofitel. If you like veal it was very good. Is it true that Cafe Kor takes cash only ? What is your favorite food there. We ate at the Market for lunch one day. Thanks for the suggestions.

Would love to know your guide's name for Statue park and Gellert Hill if you would share it. Actually we went to House of Terror last trip, as well as St Stephen's Basilica, found a few sculptures like the Princess(elf) down by the river as well as the shoes on the Danube promenade, toured the The Great Synagogue and cemetery with tree memorial. We found a little cafe :the First Strudel House of Pest that we walked to from the Sofitel. If you like veal it was very good. Is it true that Cafe Kor takes cash only ? What is your favorite food there. We ate at the Market for lunch one day. Thanks for the suggestions.

We did the Dicta Tour of Communism - this is the link.

http://cityrama.hu/budapest-sightseeing-tours/item/318-dictatour-of-communism.html

If you scroll down, you will see where you can book a private tour - which is what we did. This was a birthday present for my husband - and he loved it.

Yes - Cafe Kor takes cash only. But, ATMs are easy to find, so not a big issue. They are closed on Sundays - and you should make reservations, as the place is quite small - and books up quickly. We usually contact the hotel we are staying at and ask them to make the reservations for us. My husband likes their schnitzel - I think that I had a chicken shish-ka-bob (if memory serves me...).

We did eat at another restaurant on a side street on the Pest side - I'll have to see if I can find the name and will post it here.

We have eaten at the market a couple of times. We usually try to keep room for the strudel there --> it is AMAZING! I had an apricot/cheese strudel - and my DH had apple (no sense of adventure... lol)

The Hospital in the Rock does have some special rates - but you do need ID to get them. For example, they offer reduced rates for doctors, nurses and members of the military as well as for seniors. I don't carry any extra ID with me - so couldn't prove I am a nurse - so paid full price. But it isn't expensive

We also visited the Church in the Cave the last time we were there. The first 2 times we tried to visit there was a service on - and we couldn't get in (it is still a working church). You now have to pay an admission - but you get a recorded commentary so felt it was worth it. It does help with the upkeep (never mind paying if they use the money to keep the building open).

I'll try to think of any other tidbits I can offer.

Fran

We did the Dicta Tour of Communism - this is the link.

http://cityrama.hu/budapest-sightseeing-tours/item/318-dictatour-of-communism.html

If you scroll down, you will see where you can book a private tour - which is what we did. This was a birthday present for my husband - and he loved it.

Yes - Cafe Kor takes cash only. But, ATMs are easy to find, so not a big issue. They are closed on Sundays - and you should make reservations, as the place is quite small - and books up quickly. We usually contact the hotel we are staying at and ask them to make the reservations for us. My husband likes their schnitzel - I think that I had a chicken shish-ka-bob (if memory serves me...).

We did eat at another restaurant on a side street on the Pest side - I'll have to see if I can find the name and will post it here.

We have eaten at the market a couple of times. We usually try to keep room for the strudel there --> it is AMAZING! I had an apricot/cheese strudel - and my DH had apple (no sense of adventure... lol)

The Hospital in the Rock does have some special rates - but you do need ID to get them. For example, they offer reduced rates for doctors, nurses and members of the military as well as for seniors. I don't carry any extra ID with me - so couldn't prove I am a nurse - so paid full price. But it isn't expensive

We also visited the Church in the Cave the last time we were there. The first 2 times we tried to visit there was a service on - and we couldn't get in (it is still a working church). You now have to pay an admission - but you get a recorded commentary so felt it was worth it. It does help with the upkeep (never mind paying if they use the money to keep the building open).

I'll try to think of any other tidbits I can offer.

Fran

Thanks so much for all the useful information. I hope we have time to do the new things this time. Our flight gets in late the first day this time. Might skip the Viking tour in the morning to do some other things, but I do love Fistherman's Bastion and the Market. Trying to work the timing out now with hours things are open and available time. I love Budapest and want to see more ! Thanks again Linda

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone else getting worried that the Sept 27 Budapest to Bucharest cruise might be cancelled for low river levels ? I couldn't believe the temp in Budapest was 100 yesterday and 107 in Bucharest today with no chance of rain. I was thinking of doing a rain dance with my rain stick from Costa Rica . Sure hope it helps. I really don't want to go on a bus tour if Viking doesn't cancel and the ships aren't able to navigate the Danube . Anyone have any "inside" information from Viking ?

Hi Peregrina,

We recently did Bucharest to Budapest. We did the Transylvania add-on, so we were in Romania for 5 days. We flew into Bucharest, spent one night there and left the next morning for Transylvania. On the way we stopped at a large mall. We hit up the ATM there for Romania leu. We go 400 Romanian leu. Sorry don't know how much that was in US. I want to say it was about $100 US dollars. We knew we would be buying our own dinners, as well as whatever souvenirs we wanted (didn't want much). Just before leaving Transylvania we hit the money exchange office next to the hotel for an additional $20 (US) worth of leu. That worked fine for us.

We also got Hungarian forints (from a bank ATM) in Mohacs, went to a local store and bought Coke and cookies to break the larger bills to smaller. Since we were going to be in Budapest for 3 days (as well as the two other days in smaller towns).

We found that some places would take Euros, and some would take US dollars, typically the "touristy" places, not the more local sort of establishments.

We had purchased Euros before we left home. We found, for the most part, things were cheaper than we thought they would be. So we used our leftover Euros the last night to pay toward our shipboard account.

All local tour guides accepted US dollars/Euros/local currency for tips.

Edited by Shmoo here

Is anyone else getting worried that the Sept 27 Budapest to Bucharest cruise might be cancelled for low river levels ? I couldn't believe the temp in Budapest was 100 yesterday and 107 in Bucharest today with no chance of rain. I was thinking of doing a rain dance with my rain stick from Costa Rica . Sure hope it helps. I really don't want to go on a bus tour if Viking doesn't cancel and the ships aren't able to navigate the Danube . Anyone have any "inside" information from Viking ?

If you said August 27, there would be cause for concern. But September 27 is six weeks away -- so nobody has any idea what the water levels will be like at that time. They may be low -- or even lower than now -- but it's too far out for anybody to know. [You could consult the Old Farmer's Almanac -- they are actually more accurate than your TV or web weather source ;)]

I am no expert, but that section of the river is open now. We did the cruise last year on Avalon, and I would be surprised if there is a problem the river in this section is much larger than upstream where they are currently experiencing water level problems.

jc

JC

Sorry to be the bearer of this news but there are right now 120 ships stuck on the Danube in Romania. Below is the headline from a online article from Romania.

There hasn't been as much talk about the lower Danube but there are some real difficulties.

Bruce

120 vessels blocked on the Danube. The river’s water levels, monitored by satellite. Orange Code for heat extended until Friday for 5 counties

http://www.romaniajournal.ro/120-vessels-blocked-on-the-danube-the-rivers-water-levels-monitored-by-satellite-orange-code-for-heat-extended-until-friday-for-5-counties/