Question about Freestyle Choice Promotion Shore Excursion Credit

MisterBill99

A co-worker (first time cruiser) just booked an NCL Getaway Eastern Caribbean cruise and I'm trying to help him figure out which of the 4 Freestyle Choice offers he should take. They don't drink alcohol, so the drink package is out. They're vegetarian, so I don't think the dining package will be worth it (plus they want to eat casual and have lots of kids with them, it's a large group). It's a 7 night cruise so the free gratuities for 2 people is worth $182. Then there's the shore excursion credit, which is $75 for every port, which would be $225 in their case. The NCL website says "Receive a $75 per stateroom shore excursion credit for each port visited on your cruise" Does anyone know if you can use all of the money on a single excursion or will they actually restrict you to $75 in each port, which means you'd have to book an excursion at each of them to make it worthwhile? If he can do one ship excursion and spend the $225 on that and go off on his own for the other two, that would seem to be the best deal.

Anyone know how this credit actually works?

A co-worker (first time cruiser) just booked an NCL Getaway Eastern Caribbean cruise and I'm trying to help him figure out which of the 4 Freestyle Choice offers he should take. They don't drink alcohol, so the drink package is out. They're vegetarian, so I don't think the dining package will be worth it (plus they want to eat casual and have lots of kids with them, it's a large group). It's a 7 night cruise so the free gratuities for 2 people is worth $182. Then there's the shore excursion credit, which is $75 for every port, which would be $225 in their case. The NCL website says "Receive a $75 per stateroom shore excursion credit for each port visited on your cruise" Does anyone know if you can use all of the money on a single excursion or will they actually restrict you to $75 in each port, which means you'd have to book an excursion at each of them to make it worthwhile? If he can do one ship excursion and spend the $225 on that and go off on his own for the other two, that would seem to be the best deal.

Anyone know how this credit actually works?

You are restricted to $75.00 per port. If your excursion is more than $75.00 you just pay the difference.

Harriet

• 2 weeks later...

Choosing our Freestyle promotion was easy for us. We booked a 21-day Trans-Atlantic cruise for 2016....it only had 4 ports, total. We are not that big on the specialty dining spots, so we opted for the gratuities -- well over $500 value on this long cruise!

From the Terms and Conditions of the promo:

Shore Excursion Credit Offer: $75 credit per port, per stateroom. The $75 credit is applicable for each port, and is not transferable to other ports. Use the credit or lose it. Limit 7 ports. Does not include embarkation and debarkation ports. Shore excursion credit can only be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 or booking on board. Shore excursion credit has no monetary value, is non refundable and is non-transferable.

How does it work with some of the Bermuda Cruises where you are in Port for more than 1 day. Do you only get (1) $75 Credit? Or if you are in the Bermuda Port for 3 days, do you get (3) $75 credits?

As it's only 1 port....it will be one $75.00 credit.

Harriet

Choosing our Freestyle promotion was easy for us. We booked a 21-day Trans-Atlantic cruise for 2016....it only had 4 ports, total. We are not that big on the specialty dining spots, so we opted for the gratuities -- well over $500 value on this long cruise!

Yes, but think about how much the free drinks package would have been worth!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As it's only 1 port....it will be one $75.00 credit.

Harriet

We will be facing this issue on the 9/27 sailing of the Breakaway to Bermuda. Today, 2 different reps checked and told me we get $75 per day in Bermuda, not once per port. This is a special exception for Bermuda.

You reserve an excursion through the toll free number. Then onboard you are charged for the excursion, plus given whatever credit you are entitled to.

We will be facing this issue on the 9/27 sailing of the Breakaway to Bermuda. Today, 2 different reps checked and told me we get $75 per day in Bermuda, not once per port. This is a special exception for Bermuda.

You reserve an excursion through the toll free number. Then onboard you are charged for the excursion, plus given whatever credit you are entitled to.

That's good to hear. Hope it works out! Of course, this assumes you were planning to do 3 excursions and not go out on your own one or more of the days. It's not significantly more than just taking the free gratuities.

Edited by MisterBill99

• 11 months later...

I'm still confused about the shore excursion credit in Bermunda :confused:

I called Priceline today, as that is who I booked the cruise through. I was told it was ONE $50 credit. However, on NCL's website, it says (3) $50 vouchers PER DAY....

My question is...can I combine them for ONE shore excursion, or can I only use the $150 per day despite it only being one port.

I hope someone has used this in Bermuda and can clarify for me.

Thanks!

I'm still confused about the shore excursion credit in Bermunda :confused:

I called Priceline today, as that is who I booked the cruise through. I was told it was ONE $50 credit. However, on NCL's website, it says (3) $50 vouchers PER DAY....

My question is...can I combine them for ONE shore excursion, or can I only use the $150 per day despite it only being one port.

I hope someone has used this in Bermuda and can clarify for me.

Thanks!

Please don't bump up two year old information. To answer your question though the current promo says:

"Overnight stays count as one port, except Bermuda sailings which can receive up to 3 individual days of shore excursion credit."

In other words you cannot combine them.

Please don't bump up two year old information. To answer your question though the current promo says:

"Overnight stays count as one port, except Bermuda sailings which can receive up to 3 individual days of shore excursion credit."

In other words you cannot combine them.

And it is not $150 per day. It is a single $50 credit per day, per cabin.

Thank you for the responses....one much more pleasant than the other :mad: :eek:

Anyway...I was confused by this on NCL's website today:

"For Bermuda Cruises, receive three individual $50 USD Shore Excursion credits for every day you're in port.

A bit misleading as 3 for every day would equal $150.

Thank you for the responses....one much more pleasant than the other :mad: :eek:

"For Bermuda Cruises, receive three individual $50 USD Shore Excursion credits for every day you're in port.

Yes, it is absolutely misleading. I think they left out a word - "For Bermuda Cruises, receive three individual $50 USD Shore Excursion credits, one for every day you're in port."

This is in the Terms & Conditions (link at the bottom of the page) "Overnight stays count as one port, except Bermuda sailings which can receive up to 3 individual days of shore excursion credit."

Please don't bump up two year old information. To answer your question though the current promo says.

Let's be reasonable, it's only one year old info. Anyway, glad to see that they fixed the per port vs. per night issue on the Bermuda cruise. I do wonder if it's the best value given the other options (at least from last year's promo).

Edited by MisterBill99

Let's be reasonable, it's only one year old info. Anyway, glad to see that they fixed the per port vs. per night issue on the Bermuda cruise. I do wonder if it's the best value given the other options (at least from last year's promo).

Thank you for clarifying that 2015 was last year, not 2 years ago.....I digress :rolleyes:

Honestly, because we are sailing in a suite, we automatically received the 4 promo offers, so it's not a huge deal to us. I was asking for clarification because we are attempting to pre-book a shore excursion for our family of four, and if we are receiving $50, rather than $150, it may sway our decision as to which we choose.

That's all....thank you again for pleasantly commenting. ;)

Thank you for clarifying that 2015 was last year, not 2 years ago.....I digress :rolleyes:

Honestly, because we are sailing in a suite, we automatically received the 4 promo offers, so it's not a huge deal to us. I was asking for clarification because we are attempting to pre-book a shore excursion for our family of four, and if we are receiving $50, rather than $150, it may sway our decision as to which we choose.

That's all....thank you again for pleasantly commenting. ;)

The credits cannot be used for prebooking either. :(

We're also in a suite in November and planning to do the 12 Metre Regatta again, so we had checked. (Fifty bucks is fifty bucks! ;) )

My daughter believes she can find a way to make use of the credits. :)

3 for every day you are in Bermuda. You are there for three days so you get three, One per day you were there. That equals one per day you are in Bermuda. Not confusing to me at all.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

That is an error. NCL's marketing materials are full of errors, but it's usually pretty obvious what they meant to write (and they will not honor what they actually wrote, especially when it means 3 times more perks for you).

3 for every day you are in Bermuda. You are there for three days so you get three, One per day you were there. That equals one per day you are in Bermuda. Not confusing to me at all.

Harriet

I think it's not confusing to you because you already know what it is. :)

Even what you've said is confusing "3 for every day you are in Bermuda. You are there for three days..." which would mean 9 - "3 for every day" multiplied by "You are there for three days"

It should say "1 for every day you are in Bermuda" for a total of 3. :)

Very confusing to anyone who's not familiar with NCL's way of doing (saying) things!

The credits cannot be used for prebooking either. :(

We're also in a suite in November and planning to do the 12 Metre Regatta again, so we had checked. (Fifty bucks is fifty bucks! ;) )

My daughter believes she can find a way to make use of the credits. :)[/quote

Thank you for your response Wendy. Yes, we learned that (no pre-booking) as well. Oh well. As you said, fifty dollars IS fifty dollars, and much like your daughter, we'll find a place to use it :D

Enjoy your cruise in November!

I think it's not confusing to you because you already know what it is. :)

Even what you've said is confusing "3 for every day you are in Bermuda. You are there for three days..." which would mean 9 - "3 for every day" multiplied by "You are there for three days"

It should say "1 for every day you are in Bermuda" for a total of 3. :)

Very confusing to anyone who's not familiar with NCL's way of doing (saying) things!

Well said, Wendy! Thank you for your support on this! I had no idea asking this question would bring about such responses. I have learned so much from others' questions on this forum, I assumed it would be acceptable to ask one as well. Apparently not so in the eyes of a few. :eek: