room service fee

coldferret

Thank you for posting & sharing this.

-

I guess we cannot say it is a surprise next week, LOL. :rolleyes:

And, in other news - what else is new that we are going to be "tested" upon is the real questions, which, none of us can predict. But, it is what it is.

And, of course, those in Haven & living the full suite (not the mini's) life are exempt and they will be happy & can rejoice, it's AI. :eek:

Now, don't forget to tip the butler extra, extra. ;)

-

And, in other news - what else is new that we are going to be "tested" upon is the real questions, which, none of us can predict. But, it is what it is.

And, of course, those in Haven & living the full suite (not the mini's) life are exempt and they will be happy & can rejoice, it's AI. :eek:

But yet again we find out information on cc. What do the people do that don't come here and read the boards.

If I didn't read these boards I would have no idea of the changes that have taken place recently. Never got a call, email or snail mail. That's where I feel all this is so wrong. Not the fact they do it the fact that their communication stinks.

Geri

Edited by FootballParent

Just got off the Getaway and it was definitely $7.95. I refused to order any room service because of it which sucked.

I guess they accomplished their goal. They did not have to bother with room service.

-

Of course it isn't a surprise and you can be pretty sure other lines will follow. Now, let's just get over it; for those who don't like the charges switch lines. See how much you save.I would like to know, assuming this is the truth, what price they are charging? I also imagine a statement will be issued early in the week stating the actual price. Regardless of how you feel, none of us have a clue what the price will be. It is $7.95 on one ship and 4.95 another. Yes, suite guests are exempt; there in nothing wrong with that. I just wish I could be one of those guests.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Of course it isn't a surprise and you can be pretty sure other lines will follow. Now, let's just get over it; for those who don't like the charges switch lines. See how much you save.I would like to know, assuming this is the truth, what price they are charging? I also imagine a statement will be issued early in the week stating the actual price. Regardless of how you feel, none of us have a clue what the price will be. It is $7.95 on one ship and 4.95 another. Yes, suite guests are exempt; there in nothing wrong with that. I just wish I could be one of those guests.
If we are ever on the same cruise, I'll leave my suite and you can use my cabin and order all the room service you want! LOL!

I will be sure to ask what boat you are on so I may take advantage of your generosity. Booked my first cruise and could only get an ocean view :(
Sorry, but the offer was to newmexicoNita. If you are looking for the same offer, you'll have to find someone else.

If we are ever on the same cruise, I'll leave my suite and you can use my cabin and order all the room service you want! LOL!

not a huge user of Room Service, in fact I only use it when we want a quick bite before an early tour, but if we end up on the same cruise, we will get together in your suite and I will order room servie. That way I will have room to enjoy it. Trying to eat a meal in a little tiny cabin isn't worth the effort. Even the snacks we sometimes get from the captain, etc take up room we don't have. LOl

There are reports it is $7.95 on both ships now.

Maggie

I doubt that other cruise lines will follow. For me it's not about the charges at all (just as it isn't a concern of mine that kids pay full price in the specialities now), it's about the direction that Del Rio is taking NCL. Some people will like the changes, some will be indifferent, some won't like the changes. It saddens me that I won't be able to cruise with NCL (presuming of course that Del Rio is successful in taking NCL in the direction he wants to, which is a version of Oceania lite) but life will go on.

Well, that will SUCK rotten eggs.

Hubby and I often (maybe not EVERY night, but almost every night), would order a midnight snack from Room Service. A little something sweet with a coffee or hot tea.

Looks like we'll have to plan ahead and make sure we take something sweet from the Buffet during the day, for later!

I surely hope this doesn't become an industry-wide trend.

Has anyone seen it confirmed what the 7.95 covers? It is truly a "service charge" and has no included gratuity? Or does it include a gratuity for the RS staff? That is what confuses me since I always like to tip a few dollars for each order. But if the gratuity is included, maybe I don't need to?

I'm not personally shocked they've started to charge for this and it wouldn't dissuade me from ordering if I really needed an afternoon snack. It is like what they charge in a hotel - although that charge is usually clearly labeled as a service charge along with a separate automatic gratuity (at least most hotels I have stayed in).

I do agree NCL's communication methods need a lot of help.

I know this has been discussed much on this board, however I had to add my two cents. As a family and couple who are regular cruisers and have recently decided to try Norwegian, this is very disappointing. We will take this cruise, as the change came after final payment was made, however this will definitely impact the cruise line choices we make in the future. Yes, RCCL has a fee, but after midnight which is very workable. Princess tried to add a fee, and changed its policy very, very quickly and reversed its decision after their loyal passengers were not happy. $7.95 is very costly. We will not use this service, other than coffee perhaps in the morning since this is not subject to the charge. One of our small pleasures and little luxuries, especially with kids, has been that we could order a snack late at night. No, we do not need it, but for us it was one of the niceties of cruising. We have another cruise booked with Norwegian in 2016 but we will likely keep "shopping" and either sail Princess, Royal or Celebrity next :-(.

I know this has been discussed much on this board, however I had to add my two cents. As a family and couple who are regular cruisers and have recently decided to try Norwegian, this is very disappointing. We will take this cruise, as the change came after final payment was made, however this will definitely impact the cruise line choices we make in the future. Yes, RCCL has a fee, but after midnight which is very workable. Princess tried to add a fee, and changed its policy very, very quickly and reversed its decision after their loyal passengers were not happy. $7.95 is very costly. We will not use this service, other than coffee perhaps in the morning since this is not subject to the charge. One of our small pleasures and little luxuries, especially with kids, has been that we could order a snack late at night. No, we do not need it, but for us it was one of the niceties of cruising. We have another cruise booked with Norwegian in 2016 but we will likely keep "shopping" and either sail Princess, Royal or Celebrity next :-(.

Totally agree with you. I love my morning coffee and toast on the balcony. Certainly not going to pay $7.95 for it when I already paid for food in the cruise fare. Room service has always been something our family enjoys and it's something we can't get at our house so it is special. We are booked for short weekend on Sky in a few weeks... may be our last NCL. We have been soooo happy with Carnival, now I see why :-)

I just phoned NCL directly. I was told there was no Room Service charge during normal hours on our sailing on May 29th on the Sky. The $3.95 fee still applies for orders after midnight.

YAY..... I can get my morning coffee and toast :-)

I just phoned NCL directly. I was told there was no Room Service charge during normal hours on our sailing on May 29th on the Sky. The $3.95 fee still applies for orders after midnight.

YAY..... I can get my morning coffee and toast :-)

Unfortunately the customer service folks on the phone are often the last ones that know. Fortunately as I understand it orders for coffee and such are service charge free before 10 a.m.

Just to clarify the Room Service fee applies to all orders except the complementary continental breakfast served between 6 AM - 10 AM. So for those just wishing a little something in the morning you will not incur these charges.

In one of the earliest reports during the testing faze there was an 18% gratuity added on top of the room service charge and supposedly on any other room service items to which a charge is associated.

For the person traveling on May 29th it has been reported here that the $7.95 room service charge will be going fleet wide on May 1st. If I were you I would contact your TA or PCC after that day to get more up to date information.

Rochelle

I agree with those who feel this is less about collecting another fee and more about reducing room service orders, forcing people into the dining rooms. I'm sure room service is not a cost-effective meal solution for ships compared to getting people into the MDR and specialty restaurants.

Part of what makes me feel this is that it looks as though they're going with the $7.95 fee. I can't imagine that was met with indifference by those on the "test" ships. Going with the higher option indicates to me their goal is more about cutting down room service orders than generating revenue.

Just to clarify the Room Service fee applies to all orders except the complementary continental breakfast served between 6 AM - 10 AM. So for those just wishing a little something in the morning you will not incur these charges.

In one of the earliest reports during the testing faze there was an 18% gratuity added on top of the room service charge and supposedly on any other room service items to which a charge is associated.

For the person traveling on May 29th it has been reported here that the $7.95 room service charge will be going fleet wide on May 1st. If I were you I would contact your TA or PCC after that day to get more up to date information.

Rochelle

Rochelle, can you find where soneone actually was charged 18% and a 7.95. I have been following this pretty close but that must have gone over my head. I have trouble believing they would charge both. Yes, hotels do, buy not $7.95 plus, maybe $3 plus gratuities. I guess we will just have to wait and see from someone who posts and is objective about the charges and not completely negative or completely "go NCL"

Totally agree with you. I love my morning coffee and toast on the balcony. Certainly not going to pay $7.95 for it when I already paid for food in the cruise fare. Room service has always been something our family enjoys and it's something we can't get at our house so it is special. We are booked for short weekend on Sky in a few weeks... may be our last NCL. We have been soooo happy with Carnival, now I see why :-)

Those who are posting they know the plan is to be implemented starting May 1st are also saying the cont breakfast will still be available with no charge. It sounds to me like, no one really knows anything for sure and we are playing a game of he said this, it must be true.