Breakaway/Bermuda- Rent or bring beach chairs?

They are fairly pricey, as I recall—but I don't know if I would go through the trouble of bringing my own. Maybe one of those fold-up captain's chairs that you can sling across your back. An umbrella may be a bit much to lug around on the island.

We usually just sit or lay on a towel. :D

Unless it's changed very recently, when last I checked, chair or umbrella rental at Horseshoe Bay is $11 each, plus a $5 security deposit per item. I don't think I would lug chairs and umbrellas on or off the ship and then all the way to the beach. I do not know what your physical needs are, but Bermuda beaches are not rocky, so we are just going to pack a large beach mat that's some sort of plastic/vinyl-type material, but folds down pretty flat. If you're capable of sitting on the ground and you don't want to pay the chair rental fees, that would be a lot easier on you packing-wise.

Last year (through a suggestion from another CC'er) we purchased the Coleman Beach and Shade tent and brought it with us on the BA to Bermuda. It was one of the best suggestions and purchases ever!! We loved this tent soooo much and would highly recommend it.

http://www.target.com/p/coleman-roadtrip-beach-shade/-/A-534299#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=coleman+beach+tent

My preference is to rent, but I have seen folks bring their own. I bring a beach blanket (of sorts) made of sail cloth just in case there are no more rentals available. It's light weight, packs flat in a suitcase and fits in its own attached pocket/pouch that can easily be carried in a beach bag or clipped to one. I also pack a couple inflatable noodles that I've used at horseshoe beach my last two trips... If you like to float around in that beautiful water with a little help! I know the noodles are off topic, but wanted to mention them because they are also easy to pack too!

Last year, we took our Sport-Brella to Bermuda. They are very lightweight and easy to carry. We took the bus and we did not have any problem at all. We did not bring our own chairs since we are quite fine sitting on towels.

We set up in front of the rocky area in Horseshoe so we won't cover anyone's view.

Sport-Brella Umbrella - Portable Sun and Weather Shelter

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CLQ1NA/ref=twister_B002CLQ1T4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by aquarianne11

A friend who sails on Carnival strongly suggested bringing our own Umbrella & Chairs when visiting Bermuda Beaches...

Thoughts? Are chairs/umbrella costly or hard to find?

To drag your own umbrella and beach chairs to save $25-or so dollars- IMO not worth it- Perhaps your friend was kidding!

You are on vacation. Enjoy.

Last year, we took our Sport-Brella to Bermuda. They are very lightweight and easy to carry. We took the bus and we did not have any problem at all. We did not bring our own chairs since we are quite fine sitting on towels.

We set up in front of the rocky area in Horseshoe so we won't cover anyone's view.

Sport-Brella Umbrella - Portable Sun and Weather Shelter

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CLQ1NA/ref=twister_B002CLQ1T4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I am stopping down at the mall and checking out this umbrella and the coleman. Thanks for the suggestion!!!!

Last year (through a suggestion from another CC'er) we purchased the Coleman Beach and Shade tent and brought it with us on the BA to Bermuda. It was one of the best suggestions and purchases ever!! We loved this tent soooo much and would highly recommend it.

http://www.target.com/p/coleman-roadtrip-beach-shade/-/A-534299#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=coleman+beach+tent

I am stopping down at the mall and checking out this umbrella and the sports-brella. Thanks for the suggestion!!!!

I am stopping down at the mall and checking out this umbrella and the sports-brella. Thanks for the suggestion!!!!

We just ordered the Coleman Beach Shade on line through Walmart for $37. It will be delivered for free to our local store and we can pick it just in time to pack for our cruise. Thanks everyone for the great idea!

We just ordered the Coleman Beach Shade on line through Walmart for $37. It will be delivered for free to our local store and we can pick it just in time to pack for our cruise. Thanks everyone for the great idea!

You will LOVE it!! The other great thing about the Coleman is that the front door can be zippered up for some privacy should you want to change out of your wet bathing suit.

It folds up nicely and be carried over the shoulder just like a purse.

Enjoy your cruise!! :)

You will LOVE it!! The other great thing about the Coleman is that the front door can be zippered up for some privacy should you want to change out of your wet bathing suit.

It folds up nicely and be carried over the shoulder just like a purse.

Enjoy your cruise!! :)

WARNING... I am now going off topic for a moment.......

I just viewed your Cruise videos.....DAMNNNNNNNNNNN!

The video was so so clear.... did you use the Canon T3i/600D or the Gopro Silver 3+ with Go Pole for most of it? What software did you use to make the video?

The music was great too!

I just got a Fuji finepix XP70 (since it is essentially waterproof) and have to test the HD video... I hope it can match yours.

I didn't see the Coleman in any of your videos though?

Please get back to me as I really want to know your video secrets... this July cruise is our 30th Anniversary with our two boys and I want to make it special for my wife and boys!!!

A little cheaper, yes, but much smaller as it only is for two people. If that's all that's traveling though, it's all you need!

Harriet

Stopped in and saw both the Coleman and the Sport-Brella (both standard and XL).

We have two adults and two active boys (12-15)... and the winner for us was:

The Sports-Brella XL. The 9' diameter was the decision-maker and easy ability to put low chairs in it! Also, was to use it with our current Captain Chairs (Picnictime Fusion) for games for shade and rain protection!

Again, thanks all for your help

http://www.busyboo.com/wp-content/uploads/umbrella-sport-brella.jpg

PS: The unit weighs about 11lbs but since we are just going to Horseshoe Bay and back to the ship.... I can handle that!

A little cheaper, yes, but much smaller as it only is for two people. If that's all that's traveling though, it's all you need!

Harriet

Yes, just the two of us. The small packing size is what sold it for us. We had seen something similar at CostCo, but it would have required an extra large suitcase due to it's length when packed up. Now we just need to practice setting it up before we go:cool:

We bring two of these, lightweight and you wear it like a small backpack, fits into a 30 inch suitcase and take up little room

http://www.shadeusa.com/folding_beach_chairs_kelsyus_backpack.jpg

We have two of those too but ours also have a canopy that attaches at the back of the chair and the front of the arms. The canopy starts as a circle to carry and then unfolds into a "surfboard" shape to put on the chair. We've often been the only ones at Horseshoe Bay Beach with shade when it's too windy for them to rent the umbrellas.

P1050254.JPG

Edited by peg013