Norwegian Sky Room Upgrade

jesskuhmarie

I'm looking at upgrading our room for our Norwegian Sky cruise that leaves a week from today. I've never cruised before and my travel agent is not very helpful (will probably just do all of this myself next time) so I'm unsure if I should upgrade now, wait it out to see if there are more price drops, or just stay where I'm at.

We currently have room 6313 - from what I understand this is a forward room in a quiet area and one of the bigger inside rooms which sounds like about the best inside room I can get. For $20 I can upgrade to an ocean view guarantee but was told I could get an obstructed view so I'm not sure if it is really worth it to possibly end up with no view and on a worse floor/maybe a loud area. We also have the option to upgrade to a balcony guarantee for $260. Sounds like a pretty good deal - we originally paid about 750 and the balcony guarantee since the prices have dropped comes out to about $1,000. I'm leaning toward going with the upgrade to the balcony. We are on a budget so that may cut into a bit of our spending money for the trip but I feel like a balcony might be worth it. It sounds like a good deal but having never cruised before I just wanted to get others opinions on the pricing given it is a week before the cruise. Is this about as low as it will get or is there a chance the prices will drop even more this last week?

Edited by jesskuhmarie

Also, now looking on the website it looks like I could end up with an obstructed view balcony also? Is it still a normal balcony where you can see the ocean just might have a big bar going in front of it or something?

Also, I'm guessing the answer to this questions is no, but would any of the promos be available as well, for example, would I be able to get the UBP even though I originally booked as an inside room?

Hello new cruiser

Can't go wrong with balcony. There is no way that a balcony can be obstructed. And even it was you are still outside your own place looking at the gorgeous ocean. Can't go wrong with that. I started with a oceanview for my May 29th cruise with my grown children (graduated from college) and upgraded it to a Penthouse Suite, kids don't know about it, they think we have a tiny window. Graduation Surprise

Not sure of your group size, but I found the inside on the Sky to be comfortable. I was solo, but even for two it would have been adequate. I was in 1020 and almost always used the stairs, but had easy access to elevators being mid ship.

My point is if you're comfortable with what have don't feel pressed to upgrade to the unknown, i.e. guarantee cabin. If you really want a balcony go for it, but don't feel bad if you stick with the inside you have.

I've paid to upgrade to a balcony on our next cruise, but there are 3 of us for the week and wouldn't enjoy spending my vacation cramped in a Getaway inside for a week. None of us have ever had a balcony cabin before.

Good luck

My daughter and I will also be on there with you next week. We started out in an ocean view cabin and just upgraded to a balcony last week. With the ocean view or balcony you get the promo options, which will be well worth it, whichever promo you chose.

One week!! Happy cruising!

My daughter and I will also be on there with you next week. We started out in an ocean view cabin and just upgraded to a balcony last week. With the ocean view or balcony you get the promo options, which will be well worth it, whichever promo you chose.

One week!! Happy cruising!

Thanks! I was typing a message asking about the promos because I totally didn't realize you got those too or I would have jumped on it this morning but my travel agent just called. I just went for it though even though it ended up being $100 more ($360 extra) I'm so angry at our travel agent, I e-mailed him back a couple of questions this morning and he never answered, I swear he only answers when I ask to spend more money. E-mailed him again this afternoon saying I wanted to proceed and he called me back immediately but the price has increased $100 since this morning (which I had already noticed by stalking the NCL site). But I'm getting a $75 on board credit and the UBP so it was worth it although I would have been much happier with the price this morning.

This is our first balcony cabin! Soooo very excited. I booked it and was going to try surprising my daughter(22) with it, but I don't keep a secret well, lol! She was already geeked about the UBP. I didn't want her to have to worry about what her bar tab would be at the end of the week.

This is our first balcony cabin! Soooo very excited. I booked it and was going to try surprising my daughter(22) with it, but I don't keep a secret well, lol! She was already geeked about the UBP. I didn't want her to have to worry about what her bar tab would be at the end of the week.

Yea I'm pretty excited about the UBP too! It wouldn't have been worth it for us to buy it since we don't drink a lot(like $556!!!) but we would have easily spent $150-$200 on alcohol so it works out pretty well where we're really not paying that much more for the balcony.

Yea I'm pretty excited about the UBP too! It wouldn't have been worth it for us to buy it since we don't drink a lot(like $556!!!) but we would have easily spent $150-$200 on alcohol so it works out pretty well where we're really not paying that much more for the balcony.

I'm not a big drinker either, but I did it for my daughter....