Is this true on Gem? from the reviews...need confirmation thanks

MICHLEV1974

I read this in the reviews section and thought this was odd....

Before 5pm they start removing all the pool lounge chairs. They also start removing the cushions on all the lounge chairs on the sundeck. This place did it 3 times. Once on the pool deck, once on the sundeck and one in Bliss lounge.

Also, can someone confirm the price of this:

go get a tour of the spa and buy their package to use the place with the pool, sauna, steam room, and hot tub because it was super relaxing.

And just when you thought this was free....is this true also?

there was bowling... but at a charge of $9 or so a game

Before 5pm they start removing all the pool lounge chairs. They also start removing the cushions on all the lounge chairs on the sundeck. This place did it 3 times. Once on the pool deck, once on the sundeck and one in Bliss lounge.

go get a tour of the spa and buy their package to use the place with the pool, sauna, steam room, and hot tub because it was super relaxing.

The bowling is true, not sure what the spa passes cost and the only time I saw them removing the loungers was when the pool was closed.

Yes, all cruise lines that I have been on start to clear the loungers in the early evening. They won't ask you to move if you are still out there relaxing.

Last I recall the spa pass was approx $120 a week but that may have gone up since I last checked and yes it is heavenly.

Sorry you thought the bowling was free? It's not.

Yes, Bowling isn't free (true on other lines, when we're on RCI with bowling option) - ditto for the Breakaway.

If it's free, you would need reservations as it's only 2 lanes on one side of the GEM's Bliss Lounge and on the BA. We pass by that area of the ship daily, sometimes several, and never saw anyone bowling on the BA - possibly closed for certain hours.

It is what it is ... Feestyle crusing is the quasi-motto, unofficially, these days :D (and, of course, the buzz on this slow Monday morning is the cutback #cough #cough "adjustments" in perks for some of the C.A.S. players that kicked in this month ... heard about it already last month as many knew it was coming from their own sources)

send from my Google Nexus 5/7 MD via Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288
corrected - 4 lanes on the GEM, see below

There are 4 bowling lanes on the Gem, 2 one each side of Bliss. They did cost $9 per game as of a couple of weeks ago. Occassionally they would run 2 for 1 specials. Hours and specials were listed in the Daily. Like most of the specialty restaurants, the bowling was very underutilized. I agree they need to charge something to keep the crowds down, but when venues are empty, the fee is obviously way too high.

This is my first time with NCL, but my 9th cruise. There are differences between the cruise lines so I don't want to tell my group the wrong info..thanks so much for the info above.

Also...does anyone know about the murder mystery for $20? worth it?

And...I may be mistaken, but can someone confirm the Asian restaurant is not additional $$?

Michlev...I am sure the Orchid Garden is now free...

Also, can you tell me how, when, where you make reservations for murder mystery

lunch...I have heard it is $20...but not sure how to secure a seat.

This is my first time with NCL, but my 9th cruise. There are differences between the cruise lines so I don't want to tell my group the wrong info..thanks so much for the info above.

Also...does anyone know about the murder mystery for $20? worth it?

And...I may be mistaken, but can someone confirm the Asian restaurant is not additional $$?

Friends did it and thought the lunch was just okay but enjoyed the mystery part.

Asian restaurant is free.

Michlev...I am sure the Orchid Garden is now free...

Also, can you tell me how, when, where you make reservations for murder mystery

lunch...I have heard it is $20...but not sure how to secure a seat.

You can make reservations on board at the restaurant reservation desk.

Thank you so much to all for posting! Much appreciated.

How about the shops onboard? Are we talking duty free booze buying frenzy? or are we talking...you have time to get your cheap flavoured vodka all week long....

I have been on those 4 or 5 nighters and man o man...the booze flies off the shelf in that small liquor shop....

I can not confirm any of this but I don't think bowling was ever free. In fact I am 99% sure of this. As for the spa package, the price varies depending on the length of the cruise. Some think it is worth every penny, for others it is too expensive. We purchased it once, didn't think it was worth it but our daughter wouldn't cruise without the spa package.

Thank you so much to all for posting! Much appreciated.

How about the shops onboard? Are we talking duty free booze buying frenzy? or are we talking...you have time to get your cheap flavoured vodka all week long....

I have been on those 4 or 5 nighters and man o man...the booze flies off the shelf in that small liquor shop....

You'll have time all week to buy your booze. They do run specials and have tastings which can make it busy but we found the shops to be a pretty good size. They will of course hold your booze purchase for you for pick up at the designated time (the night before debarkation IIRC).

How do you reserve bowling on the Gem and is it $9.00 per game total for everyone in the party?

I don't know about making a reservation but it's $9 per person, per game. Watch for BOGO's in the Freestyle Daily during the afternoon.

Edited by peg013

Yes, Bowling isn't free (true on other lines, when we're on RCI with bowling option) - ditto for the Breakaway.

If it's free, you would need reservations as it's only 2 lanes on one side of the GEM's Bliss Lounge and on the BA. We pass by that area of the ship daily, sometimes several, and never saw anyone bowling on the BA - possibly closed for certain hours.

It is what it is ... Feestyle crusing is the quasi-motto, unofficially, these days :D (and, of course, the buzz on this slow Monday morning is the cutback #cough #cough "adjustments" in perks for some of the C.A.S. players that kicked in this month ... heard about it already last month as many knew it was coming from their own sources)

send from my Google Nexus 5/7 MD via Tapatalk

Don't do the bowling on the Breakaway, its a real ripoff. We tried it on our last cruise on the breakaway in December and it did not work very well at all, pins were constantly resetting wrong and it triple-charged our card and it was a hassle to get it removed. We loved the rest of O'Sheehans and the rest of the games but the bowling was annoying. Also they are not real bowling balls and not full lanes, its like mini-bowling, at $5 a person per game.

I'm pretty sure the bowling alleys and balls used on Gem were regulation size. They frequently had half-price or two-for-one specials. Check the Freestyle Daily.

On our recent Gem cruise, a 10-day, the spa pass was $169. My wife always gets one and absolutely loves the spa. When she goes to the spa, I go to the gym.

I'm pretty sure the bowling alleys and balls used on Gem were regulation size. They frequently had half-price or two-for-one specials. Check the Freestyle Daily.

I am pretty sure also. Also the Gem has a counter for renting the shoes and everything. Much more "real" than the one on the Breakaway.

I never did play because the 2 for 1 offers were always at odd times for us. I am also pretty sure it is $9 per person (not per group) and that shoes are included, but I could be wrong about that. I also never saw anyone actually bowling so I can't imagine reservations are needed, or even taken.

Edited by OceanBlue123

We bowled on the Pearl last week - it was $7 a game for each of us. It was a lot of fun - it's harder than it looks because of the movement of the ship (gentle, albeit still movement). I'd do it again but I'd watch for specials.

Ok, found a few more questions about the Gem:

Is there live music on the pub crawls?? or in any pub onboard?

How's the shopping onboard -- besides the 2 shops, do they have tables set up with special items..you know, the cheap jewelry for $10, the pashminas, the t-shirts??

Ok, found a few more questions about the Gem:

Is there live music ... or in any pub onboard? How's the shopping onboard -- ??

There's usually some live music in the altrium and at least one of the lounge (i.e. forward near LeBistro/Cagney's or specialty dining) - hours vary & we've always seen/heard them around dinner time & afternoon on sea days. Just check the latest F®eeStyle Dailies onboard for time & location, they used to do some solo in the MDR too.

Yes ... plenty of opps to buy those Bell & Rose watch $20 specials - same ones found on eBay for as little as $15 shipped, but you get more choices & variety - one way to expense all those non-refundable OBC. Ditto for t-shirts & 6 for 5 specials @$10 each as holiday stocking stuffers ... :D :eek: