Bringing food off the ship

twokids0204

We are doing an Excursion in Alaska that is 3 12/ hours, running from 11:00 am to 2:30 pm.

There is no lunch provided. My kids are likely to be "stttttttaaaarrrrrrvvvvvvving!!!" (if you also have kids 10 and 12 years old you know what I mean)

I was told we can ask for a "bagged lunch" on the ship.

Has anyone done this, are you allowed to bring food of the ship? What would be included?

Edited by twokids0204

Never tried in Alaska, but it is usually ship's policy that NO food or drink is taken on or off the ship.

The only exception is if it's in an unopened state (small bag of chips, granola bar, etc.).

If no lunch is provided, I'm willing to bet that one of the stops on the tour will have some kind of store where you can buy some food and/or drink.

We are doing an Excursion in Alaska that is 3 12/ hours, running from 11:00 am to 2:30 pm.

There is no lunch provided. My kids are likely to be "stttttttaaaarrrrrrvvvvvvving!!!" (if you also have kids 10 and 12 years old you know what I mean)

I was told we can ask for a "bagged lunch" on the ship.

Has anyone done this, are you allowed to bring food of the ship? What would be included?

The ship does not do bagged lunches for you. Usually only factory sealed foods such as granola bars can be brought ashore. The small cereal boxes from the ship could be brought ashore or sealed snack packages from ship shop.

We always bring sealed snacks in our luggage so we'll have them for port days.

Edited by NMLady

Can't tell you what the NCL policy is on the lunches. Some lines will gladly pack you a picnic lunch in any port, others will never do it. You just have to ask on board.

Suggest getting the kids food right before going on the excursion, and take a few snack (other than fresh fruit) along. You are going to be too busy to do anything other than grab something like that anyway.

If you are going on a boat excursion there is often a snack bar on board too.

NO, NCL will NOT pack you any lunches, and it will be posted, no prepared food is allowed off the ship. NONE of the ships in Alaska will "pack lunches" for taking off the ship.

From your tram parking lot drop off, there is a little cafe across the street. Purchase your food there. What tour are you going on? IF to Mendenhall- do NOT bring any food there.

Pearl or Jewel?

Scratch that... doesn't matter.

Your tour begins at 11 AM. Both ships arrive Skagway @ 7 AM - plenty of time to get up early enough for a full breakfast on the ship before you head to your tour. Alternatively, you could disembark the ship and go hunting (obtain food at local retailer) prior to your Shorex. You could do both of these. The tours leave from just alongside the ship at dock, but town is a 5 minute walk north down the pier.

Edited by triptolemus

You can take prepackaged food off the ship. I take a couple of the cereal boxes from the breakfast buffet for food during the excursions. You can also bring on board prepackaged cereal bars and take those on the excursions.

You can not take fresh meat, fruit, nuts, fish, vegetables, etc off the ship because the ship is registered in a foreign country. When you get off the ship you are leaving the flag country and entering the US and vice versa when getting on the ship from the port. In order to bring fresh food into the US you would need permits, possible licenses, and be subject to inspection to prevent infected/contaminated/diseased/infested goods from entering the US.