Trip insurance

kshearon

My apologies if this has been posted before. I didn't see anything when I scrolled through a few pages.

We have always done the carnival trip protection, however I am interested in looking at other options. The wife and I are in pretty decent health, so I don't worry as much about the medical coverage as I do the possibility of a need for an unplanned immediate need to return home. My father isn't in terrible health, but he is the most frail of my parents. We are booked for a journeys cruise, and I'd like to find coverage to get us home ASAP in the unfortunate (and hopefully unlikely) event he becomes seriously ill or passes away.

Can anyone shed some insight as to good companies to purchase insurance from for this situation? I did a brief google search, and I'm more confused and frustrated than I was before.

Thanks!

We use Travel Guard. Had to use them twice. Once to find clinics in Morocco and recently to get DD home from overseas.

Look on the Cruise/Travel Insurance board under Cruise Discussion Topics.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you happen to have a credit card that offers trip cancellation or interruption coverage?

I have the Sapphire Reserve, and it offers me free coverage in case of, but not limited to, the following:

Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you

or a Traveling Companion

It is my understanding that your father being the reason for the need for trip interruption/cancellation insurance, it is considered a pre existing condition and coverage may /will not be extended. Read the fine print, and Be sure to call around check with ANY insurance company about this scenario as it is different from State, to State, or Province to Province.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is my understanding that your father being the reason for the need for trip interruption/cancellation insurance, it is considered a pre existing condition and coverage may /will not be extended. Read the fine print, and Be sure to call around check with ANY insurance company about this scenario as it is different from State, to State, or Province to Province.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are over stating the pre-existing limitations. He is alive, there for he is a pre-existing limitation.

If something is the same before and after the policy goes into effect, that is pre-existing. If that thing changes after the policy date, then it is new. Ie....if he ends up in the hospital, that is new. Also many plans cover more pre-existing than others. They all use simple formulas. The less you pay, the less is covered. So long as you are giving up things you won't need, then paying less is a good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

I used insuremytrip ( noted above) and spoke to a most helpful agent. He found the most relevant policies based on my needs and emailed me them to compare. No sales push.

Of course, I can't promise all phone reps are as good but it can't hurt to call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have used travelguard insurance for the last several cruises, but did not realize that in order for pre-existing conditions to be covered, we had 15 days to pay for policy. If you wait until final payment, pre-existing conditions will not be covered. Since DH has heart condition, I made sure I paid our insurance within the 15 day window. We are going on NCL pearl I November and just booked cruise for next year as well. I paid the insurance charge at the time of booking for both cruises. Better to be safe than sorry. Make sure you read the terms completely before buying g the insurance.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Forums mobile app

We have always used the recommended insurance from our TA.

Only used it once over the many years and that was for a land vacation to Disney World when hurricane Charlie attacked.

Along with our TA we provided all incurred expenses and lost bookings.

Within 3 weeks we were well compensated and more.......yup, they included $ for hardship.

In essence the policy after reimbursement paid for itself.

Hopefully will never use it for injuries.

Safe travels.

[quote name=kshearon;53158771. We are booked for a journeys cruise' date=' and I'd like to find coverage to get us home ASAP in the unfortunate (and hopefully unlikely) event he becomes seriously ill or passes away.

![/quote]

Getting you home ASAP is not the job of the travel insurance company. It's not like something happens, you call the insurance company, and they make travel arrangement.

Something happens, you notify the ship that you have to depart early, they make arrangements for Customs and Immigrations, YOU find and purchase airline tickets and then you travel home.

THEN,, you file for reimbursement from the insurance company.

You can contact them during this emergency and they may be able to provide assistance to you and your family, but they don't pay for anything until you file a claim.

I confused about all the talk about pre-existing conditions. Isn't the OP saying they would have to interrupt their travel due to the death of an immediate family member? Said member is NOT on the trip?

Are you saying if my immediate family member has been fighting a disease for a number of year and succumbs to that disease while I am on an insured vacation my trip interruption portion of my insurance is not valid because the non-traveling family member had a pre-existing condition? >confused<

...Are you saying if my immediate family member has been fighting a disease for a number of year and succumbs to that disease while I am on an insured vacation my trip interruption portion of my insurance is not valid because the non-traveling family member had a pre-existing condition? >confused<

Depends on which policy you purchase, but yes, some policies include non-traveling family members in the PEC exclusion...some don't. In the case of death, that is not pre-existing and is usually a covered reason. But being hospitalized for a known condition, it can be denied. It's why everyone needs to read the fine print of their policies.