Recomendations for Bermuda cruise with a 1 year old?

akcruiser23

Hello - we are considering a 7 night Bermuda cruise from NY/NJ, and will be traveling with a 1 year old. Looking at the Norwegian Breakaway and Celebrity Summit. My understand is that Celebrity tends to cater to an older crowd while Norwegian would be a bit more family oriented - any thoughts or suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

We took our boys to Bermuda on NCL when they were toddlers and it was great - very family oriented. Burmuda was a wonderful destination for children. Very clean and safe. My suggestion would be to find room in your suitcase for a baby life jacket and some sand toys so you can enjoy the fantastic beaches. Enjoy your vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

We have sailed NCL many times since our youngest was 2 (she's 14 now). They have always had an absolute blast! The Breakaway does have things for kids that young, but only with an adult present. I forgot what the group is called.. like guppies or something like that. They aren't structured activities. But, there's a room where kids younger than 3 can get together and play with toys and games and such. It'll be listed in the Freestyle Daily each day.

We just returned from Bermuda on the Breakaway on Sunday. We had a fantastic time! We did utilize the Guppies room on Deck 16 a few times. We also did one of the Guppies sessions in Splash Academy once. A 1 year old may appreciate it more than a 9 month old. I think they had activities on sea days.

In Bermuda itself:

1) I highly recommend a umbrella stroller that can recline(this is useful on the ship as well). we bought the Summer Infant 3Dlite. Great stroller! You will have to fold it up on the buses, but not on the ferries.

2) If you have a baby carrier, bring it. Fort Hamilton has a lot of stairs. If you do Crystal and/or Fantasy Caves, use it there too. We just left our stroller at the top of each cave and grabbed it when we were done.

3) Bring a inflatable pool/tub. Our little girl loved her duck tub. She was a hit with the staff. We were in the Haven so it was a little more wide open, but I filled the tub in the shower and then carried it to where we could use it. When I was done I dumped it out in the shower.

We cruised to Bermuda last summer with our 18 month old on the Summit. We had a fantastic time and the crew on the Summit were catered to our son and we never had a bad experience about having a little one with us. We also ate breakfast and lunch a lot in the dining room which we felt was easier with our son ( not having to carry food from the buffet, have a toddler in tow, running back and forth from the table, etc.) This year we are doing the Caribbean on RCCL due to him being older and needing more to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Just seeing this thread as I am looking for advice for cruising with our 2.5yo for the first time.

We've been on both the Breakaway and Summit. I would say Breakaway is your best bet. I think the flexible dining is just easier with a 1yo. They had a Sponge Bob splash park just for kids which was nice. Summit didn't have much for kids that I remember and you're tied to the traditional dining times. What I also liked about the Breakaway is that since it is geared towards younger crowds the entertainment was fun. We enjoyed the piano bar a lot and comedy shows. So if you take turns putting the baby to bed and going out there is more to choose from. Also, regardless of what you choose I'd recommend a balcony room so that you can sit out there while baby naps or sleeps.

We're doing Royal Caribbean, leaving Saturday. Fingers crossed for a decent trip.