Manhattan--Best route from Lincoln Tunnel to Cruiseport--10th or 12th?

parasailor

Our last trip to the cruiseport through the Lincoln Tunnel and 12th Avenue went great--until turning from northbound to southbound on 12th took forever.

Is going up 10th Avenue and making a left on 55th and left on 12th usually better or is it all happenstance and hope you have an app which helps you pick?

If coming up 12th, can you drop the passengers and luggage off across from the terminal (similar to where you get picked up at disembarkation) or do the police keep you moving?

Thanks

It depends on a variety of factor - including but not limited to # of ships docked that morning, MARSEC level and other law enforcement security measures in place, etc. as that impact of traffic flow in the area, as well as local/neighborhood or citywide activities taking place on the day of (i.e. tomorrow's parade, NYC Marathon, street fairs nearby)

Google Map/Navigation or equivalent is your best friend - as they are real-time traffic & alert integrated ... data flow actually coming in part from Waze, a great & free App that I run on ours. It should be quite accurate before you enter the Lincoln Tunnel into NY ... although, traffic signals are timed mainly to keep vehicles moving on 12th Avenue - and, we've seen port security done "enhanced" but quick screening for all vehicles approaching the dropoff & parking ramps, slowly down everyone.

If you are dropping off someone quickly, northbound side of 12th Avenue should be just fine, easier just past W. 48th Street ahead of the designated Taxi stand - find a curbside to pull into. Or, make a right onto the W. 48th Street, there are places to pull off without blocking traffic (i.e. fire hydrants) NYPD are the strictest, including Traffic Division, along 12th Avenue - especially if it is a weekday ... they are typically less aggressive with enforcement & chasing drivers & vehicles to move along - especially when it's an obvious quick dropoff.

We've done it both ways. For some reason I rely on my gut instincts rather than a smartphone app. I doubt it makes that much difference most of the time. We use 12th Ave. more often than 10th because I prefer the way the traffic flows on 12th. 10th always seems to have more lanes closed for utility construction than 10th. Others may disagree!!

Just took 10th for the first time, it was fine, granted it was 9:30 am on a Saturday. I live 10 miles directly west of the tunnel, google maps is about 50/50 between the tunnel and the bridge being the fastest route.

Thanks. If you are directly west of the tunnel, I am surprised Google would think the bridge was 50/50 with the tunnel.

There is usually more traffic taking the tunnel. If the tunnel is faster, it's usually only by a few minutes.

Our last trip to the cruiseport through the Lincoln Tunnel and 12th Avenue went great--until turning from northbound to southbound on 12th took forever.

Is going up 10th Avenue and making a left on 55th and left on 12th usually better or is it all happenstance and hope you have an app which helps you pick?

If coming up 12th, can you drop the passengers and luggage off across from the terminal (similar to where you get picked up at disembarkation) or do the police keep you moving?

Thanks

The first time I sailed from NYC, I had the same experience as you. Took forever to turn left from 12th Avenue to the cruise port. In fact, it took so long that we exited the vehicle and walked to the pier. The time of day (after 1 pm) we were driving on 12th was a factor.

The next time, got into the city before 11 am, took 10th up to the cross street and had no delay or issue driving to and being dropped off at the cruise port. If I sail out if NYC again, I will always use 10th Avenue and be sure to be in the city before noon.