Brooklyn terminal to LGA on a Sunday

calliecat

American Airlines has changed our departure time again. We are now scheduled to fly out at 1130 am. This is the 3rd time change and if it keeps up, we'll be leaving before the ship docks! I've read that there is a lot of construction around LaGuardia. Is it possible on a Sunday to do a walk off and get to the airport in time to make an 1130 flight? I have a couple more months before our cruise and am wondering if I need to call AA and get a later flight.

I also posted this on the Princess Cruise website. Thanks.

What's the "track" records of the Princess ship docking early/on-time for a prompt disembark ... for self walk-off ??

Sunday morning - traffic to/from BCT and LGA should be relatively light in the morning hours. There's basically just one route - I-278 or Brooklyn Queens Expwy - there's long term construction, bridge & roadway over Newton Creek - that's been the source of bottleneck & some of the worst traffic jams, even at midnight due to overnight (and, weekend) lane closures. Trip time is 30 minutes when optimal conditions are met, but can stretch to 90 minutes - accident & bad weather combined; and, the Red Hook terminal area is in an urban flash flooding zone, prone to be under the tidal water with a major Nor-Easter storm.

Allow 75-90 minutes (LGA airport authorities recommended to do luggage/check-in and clear TSA) - need to be at the terminal by 10:00 to 10:15 plus trip time, I would allow at least 1 hour - thus, you will need to be in your car service by 9 AM to 9:15 AM to play it safe. My understanding is that New England/Canada cruises in the Fall are easier vs. a T/A with lots of non-US passport holders onboard.

Since AA changed & rebook your flights automatically, you should consider calling them & request a change to an afternoon flight (non-stop going home or via a gateway hub/city for a connection to get home ?) at no charge. If the disembarkation process is smooth and you ended up at LGA early, just relax & get comfortable, go to the airline club lounge if you have access, or else, make use of the food courts (most of which are land-side before the checkpoints)

There hasn't been any reported major congestions or tieups inside LGA due to the constructions & resulting delays lately - the highway connections to LGA is the tricky one. Experienced & good local car service drivers can cut thru the Brooklyn Navy Yard area via Flushing Ave & Kent Ave to bypass some of the bad traffic on the elevated highway, thru Greenpoint to Queens and get back on the major roads again - and, get you from Red Hook to LGA in about one hour if things are bad. First Sunday in November is NYC's famous Marathon - all bets are off with major closures & detours, but assumed you aren't ...

Also, is flying out from JFK an option if they would rebook you at no charge ? - as AA has tons of flights - it's an easier "run" from Red Hook's pier ?

If you walk off and do so at the earliest time possible -- like 6:45 -- you are not going to have a problem at all. Unless the ship is delayed (doesn't happen a lot), you're going to be just fine.

I wouldn't book a service as it's hard to tell them what time you will be off. It will be a bit more expensive but if you just grab a cab right off the ship (or Uber if right there) then that is your fastest option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums