How to avoid gaining weight?

alj1208

The pounds I gained on my last two cruises were gone 1 week after I arrived back home. Water weight?

I went through a stressful point in my life and was not only overeating I was eating empty calories. I got fat.

In the last 12 months I have taken control of my food and beverage intake. I don't call it dieting, I call it the way I eat. So when I cruise I stick to the way I normally eat. I drink a bit more, however I am probably more active and have no stress. So if you and hubby are on an eating program just make it a habit.

It's been 12 months and I reached my goal weight about six months ago. I continue to shed pounds not a lot mind you, but I keep to my strategy. Proteins carbs and fats. I Avoid empty calories and yes don't give me a potato chip I eat the whole bag.

You are on a cruise enjoy yourselves, but don't diet eat properly always instead. Then you can try that cheesecake or that cookie or the gelato and those wonderful potato chips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha ha! I like the eat (scoff) half diet.

I honestly think it's easier to maintain a weight when on a cruise than on land, it's much easier when somebody else can cook you lovely healthy food! It's a great opportunity to try new foods too. Also the things I tend to snack on at home (biscuits crisps) etc aren't really around on a cruise ship.

Youlll end up doing way more exercise than you realise too with little walks and climbing the stairs!

I've never put on weight on a cruise and I've talked about why I believe that is here; http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/10/10/you-dont-have-to-put-on-weight/

Hope that helps! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The pounds I gained on my last two cruises were gone 1 week after I arrived back home. Water weight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here! Gained three pounds and all gone within a week with normal eating and lots of water... I do think there's a LOT more salt intake on a cruise!

I've only just done my first cruise and I lost weight without intending to. I pretty much stuck to 3 meals a day, walked a fair amount on-ship and all 3 excursions I did were active ones. I wasn't going out of my way to be healthy either, but I found myself having fruit salad for breakfast on port days.

I limited my snacking as much as possible, just the odd cookie to tide me over to dinner the odd time.

Hi: My husband and I have been dieting and making progress. We are concerned that we'll "fall off the wagon" during our upcoming cruise and gain weight (with all that good food and the cocktails!). We've cruised before, but weight wasn't as much of a concern the last time (We were both in better shape.). What strategies do you use to avoid taking home more than good memories from your cruise?

Choose foods wisely, very few desserts, always use the stairs, walk around promenade deck, choose excursions with lots of walking.

I definitely struggle with my weight, but I have never gained weight on a cruise, I think because I tend to be very active. I tend to take the stairs as much as I can manage, go to the gym, walk a lot, etc. Also, there is so much food that one can make good, healthy choices and not feel deprived. We love the salmon served for breakfast, and I usually have that (without the bagel) with perhaps an egg and some veggies. Very often we skip lunch or just have something light. For dinner, we pretty much eat what we want, but generally I am not tempted by the desserts on Royal Caribbean (our cruise line of choice). I like a glass or two of wine at dinner, but that is about it for alcohol, and my other drink choices usually are calorie free. We also cruise at least twice a year, and I have gotten over the feeling that I have to eat my money's worth. Our next cruise is in September on the Oasis and I am trying to lose a few pounds for that, but mostly so I will go on the cruise feeling good about myself. Good luck on your cruise!

I guess I'm the only one who gains a ton of weight on cruises! One 11 day cruise (and 2 days before and after) I gained 10lbs! Lol! I almost couldn't fit into my last formal dress:)

I still gain weight on a cruise as eating and drinking sweet drinks are a big part of my cruise enjoyment. But I definitely limit it more and hit the gym most days.

My advice is don't go crazy but you're on holiday! Live it up a little! Just maybe not 10lbs worth:)

My biggest tip, and what helped me on my cruise, is listen to your body. If you're full or content, stop eating and don't stuff yourself!

If you can't make it to the gym, try to run a few laps around the track.

Use the stairs! Especially if you only need to go up a few levels.

My husband and I only had one alcoholic drink all week. (Though this was more because of the $$$ haha)

Drink lots of water! If you drink coffee and/or tea, keep it black.

Just remember to enjoy yourself! If you eat a few extra desserts during the week, enjoy them and eat some extra fruits and veggies when you get home! :)

We tend to take longer cruises (over a month) and have wrestled with the weight issue through more then 1000 days of cruising. Bottom line is if you eat like a pig you are gonna gain weight. And if you insist on drinking "fu fu" drinks (the ones with cute umbrellas) you will gain weight (drinks like Pina Coladas are akin to drinking mild shakes). Another of our basic rules is to minimize or totally eliminate elevators. Use the steps and walk, walk walk. DW and I love food, but have learned to eat just about everything...in moderation. As another poster said, it is OK to leave food on your plate.

Hank

Guess we are BAD.

But Don't gain on cruises.

We use the elevators and make no effort to walk any more than we absolutely have to.

We eat whatever we wish.

Our thing is to QUIT eating when we begin to fill full.

Yes, it's OK to leave food on your plate. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Use the gym every morning even if you just walk on treadmill.

If you order a sandwich, take off top part of bun or bread.

Eat two meals skip one.

Stay away from frozen drinks, too much sugar.

There is a scale in the gym. Go weigh yourself when you first get on and fo it each day so you can know if yr gaining or not.

Just remember the one week you go off the wagon will be weeks worth or work to get it off again.

You are kidding yourself if you think a few minutes in the gym will offset ANY significant increase in calorie intake-- and if you double your calorie intake on a cruise -

(which is not at all unlikely if you go from one drink per day at home to four or more on a cruise, and eat full breakfasts instead of a bowl of Cheerios and sweet desserts instead of a bit of fruit) -

spending all your non-eating hours in the gym will still not prevent weight gain.

I think this has probably been said already in several different ways. Best to not over eat. Instead, eat sensibly and exercise. I typically lose a few pounds on a cruise because of the extra exercise that I can't get at home.

Just returned from 5 days cruise. Didn't eat side dishes, almost no desserts. Hit gym three times 70 minutes each. Swam a lot, walked and danced a lot. Gained 7 lbs. 3-4 are probably from salt (water) and will be gone soon. The rest....

Someone once told me you put on an avg of 7lb on a cruise. My first cruise experience is coming up and I have been following slimming world as I am getting married in 5 wks and on Connie in 6 weeks. So I plan to eat/drink what I want but also eat "speed" food with my meals, like fruit and veg and keep hydrated with water, It does really help. But we'll see. I just want to enjoy myself as you should too.

Hi: My husband and I have been dieting and making progress. We are concerned that we'll "fall off the wagon" during our upcoming cruise and gain weight (with all that good food and the cocktails!). We've cruised before, but weight wasn't as much of a concern the last time (We were both in better shape.). What strategies do you use to avoid taking home more than good memories from your cruise?

HAHAHA! Please don't call me Debbie Downer, but if you plan to diet on a cruise, FORGET IT! But that being said, it is possible with all the fruit and salad bars. GOOD LUCK