Going solo

le4ne

Hi everyone,

Just wondered what advice solo travellers had for someone new to cruising?

Most people posting seem to be part of a couple or group, so I wondered if there were many solo adventurers out there?

Thanks,

Leane

Sent from a mobile device... yep, I could be anywhere right now!

My #1 tip is to request a large table for dinner, and don't be afraid to strike up conversations everywhere you go on the ship. I've met some wonderful people over the years just by saying "hi"!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My #1 tip is to request a large table for dinner, and don't be afraid to strike up conversations everywhere you go on the ship. I've met some wonderful people over the years just by saying "hi"!

I'll agree with this that's what I did was great

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app

Many cruise lines have some kind of a solo get together.

Have you joined your roll call? Great way to get to know people in advance.

I agree about a large table for dinner. The cruise lines will often put solos together.

Enjoy being able to do what you want or nothing at all!

I'm solo and taking my first ever cruise this September (Holland America, 14 days, Seattle-->Alaska-->Seattle). I've done quite a lot of solo travel over the years, but never a cruise until now. I've gotten a lot of good advice from the veterans here as well as friends of mine who cruise. Finding your Roll Call is a good way to connect.

I've joined the roll-call, I've requested to sit at a larger table, and I'm travelling to the port by arranged coach so I'll potentially be meeting lots of people.

I'm quite introverted so whilst dinner at a large table might be nice, I may need to lay down in my room or find a quiet corner of a bar to recover afterwards lol

I'm mostly kidding... however I might look around CC and see if anyone's posted an introverts guide to taking a cruise lol.

I've travelled solo before but as with ArtsyCraftsy, I've not been on a cruise before. I've therefore been skulking about CC finding advice.

My cruise is in 9 days time, I'll be on the Arcadia cruising the Norwegian Fjords. So Artsy... I'll feedback on solo cruising upon my return!

Thanks all.

I've joined the roll-call, I've requested to sit at a larger table, and I'm travelling to the port by arranged coach so I'll potentially be meeting lots of people.

I'm quite introverted so whilst dinner at a large table might be nice, I may need to lay down in my room or find a quiet corner of a bar to recover afterwards lol

I'm mostly kidding... however I might look around CC and see if anyone's posted an introverts guide to taking a cruise lol.

I've travelled solo before but as with ArtsyCraftsy, I've not been on a cruise before. I've therefore been skulking about CC finding advice.

My cruise is in 9 days time, I'll be on the Arcadia cruising the Norwegian Fjords. So Artsy... I'll feedback on solo cruising upon my return!

Thanks all.

I, too, am very introverted -- which is why I think cruise travel may work for me. From what I understand, there are plenty of places on most ships (besides one's cabin) to escape and relax. I've scoped out Holland America's ms Amsterdam, and it looks very promising. Lots of lovely nooks and crannies where I can squirrel up with a book or some needlework. Or find a spot to watch the scenery.

It's not that I'm averse to meeting new people -- on the contrary, I really do enjoy it. But crowds with the associated chaos and noise just totally wear me out. So the ability to meet folks in more intimate settings (dinner table) seems like it might work.

I look forward to your report when you return from the Norwegian fjords. Have a great time!

Lana (in Bellingham, WA)

I, too, am very introverted -- which is why I think cruise travel may work for me. From what I understand, there are plenty of places on most ships (besides one's cabin) to escape and relax. I've scoped out Holland America's ms Amsterdam, and it looks very promising. Lots of lovely nooks and crannies where I can squirrel up with a book or some needlework. Or find a spot to watch the scenery.

It's not that I'm averse to meeting new people -- on the contrary, I really do enjoy it. But crowds with the associated chaos and noise just totally wear me out. So the ability to meet folks in more intimate settings (dinner table) seems like it might work.

I look forward to your report when you return from the Norwegian fjords. Have a great time!

Lana (in Bellingham, WA)

The library seems a quiet place people just sitting and reading

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app

It's really no different than being on vacation in a hotel somewhere...except that cruisers are generally more "friendly" and willing to strike up a conversation than in a hotel. No worries...introvert or not, you'll have a good time that suits YOU!