Radiance Southbound Pre-Cruise Tour Review - June 2017

Happy to help. Fyi, I haven't figured out how to make these pictures bigger. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Erika

Easiest way to make the pictures larger is to use the Forums smartphone app.

Otherwise you need to upload the photos to a photo sharing site, such as FlickR, and put links to the photos in your CC posts.

Thank yo for all he awesome review.

Mr Ski wants to know Where were the eggs were dropping to from deck 10?

Is it possible for you to scan the cruisetour info sheets/options and then post them as a PDF rather than a "photo"? Thanks

The eggs were dropped from deck 10 to the Centrum floor. Some actually made it safe and sound. Some not exactly.

I asked hubby and he said he would start making the PDFs.. He's usually in charge of all those. Hopefully I can have them for you in a day or so.

Erika

Easiest way to make the pictures larger is to use the Forums smartphone app.

Otherwise you need to upload the photos to a photo sharing site, such as FlickR, and put links to the photos in your CC posts.

As most of our photos are on my laptop (and a thumbdrive) it's not so easy to do the app for loading. But I can try a few.

Thanx

Friday June 16 - Disembarkation day- Vancouver

We had originally planned on getting off as late as possible and catching a cab to our hotel. Then we were going to drop off the luggage and do the hop on/off tour bus. BUT, as luck would have it, I noticed after we got our luggage tags that there was an excursion that included luggage handling, dropping it off at a downtown hotel and the hop on and off tour. We jumped on that. We put our luggage out the last night with the new tags we got. Then we met Friday morning in the colony club. Glad we got there a little early. As it turned out, we had to check in and fill out some paperwork and more luggage tags. All the info was used to get our luggage to the correct hotel. When they were ready, we were walked to exit the ship. Then we were directed to get our luggage (which was lined up by luggage tag number, versus a luggage carousel). Then the RCI rep walked us over to the Tour people. They then checked our luggage and gave us our tour tickets. They then directed us to exit the building and where to find the bus. Somewhere between getting off the ship and leaving the building we went ‘through’ customs. Basically, an officer saw our customs form asked one question (did you spend more than the allowance) and we said no and the agent said welcome. They didn’t even want to see our passports. That was a first. One item that was odd was the Canadian custom form states that the allowable amount in ‘gifts’ to bring into Canada is $60 (Canadian$) per person. Really odd. But we said no as we really didn’t buy all that much, but we also figured nothing we bought was a gift to be left in Canada.

Erika

Once we got on the bus (it was a blue bus, versus another company that uses a red one) with an open top and coach seats. The tour was narrated between stops so we got to learn about the areas we were riding around. We decided to get out at the Stanly park to go to the Aquarium. We bought ‘express’ tickets at the horse carriage ride stand which was at the drop off point. The tickets cost a few more dollars than the map from the tour said. The map also said the aquarium opened at 9:30, but as it turned out it doesn’t open till 10am so we had to wait a few minutes, but as we already had tickets, we were only second in line to get in. It was a nice aquarium, but like most, there were MANY kids there. Guess you can’t help that, LOL.

The first look when we got off the bus in Stanly Park.

35513585595_63786bc50c_q.jpg

The horse drawn carriages. Not like the handsome cabs in NY Central Park

35474230256_d631a1d096_q.jpg

In front of the aquarium.

35474232076_2655f69936_q.jpg

After the aquarium, we went back down to catch the bus. As it turned out, the bus was full so we had to wait for the next bus, which luckily was only a few minutes behind the first one. They normally run about 20 minutes apart. Once we got going we decided to get off to catch the ferry to go across to Granville Island. The tour ticket covered the cost for a one way ferry ride. You can pick the bus back up on the other side of the island, we decided when we were ready to continue on to take the ferry back so we could see the whole tour. The ferry costs $3.50pp each way. Granville Island consists of a couple buildings that have vendors selling all sorts of food. Fresh vegetables, fruit, flowers, meat, cheese baked goods, etc…. They also have craft vendors as well as vendors that sell prepared foods. We had THE best pizza from one vendor. Do try the Canadian (all meat, it was delicious). They have tables outside and there were musicians performing. As we were leaving the food building, we turned a corner and almost bumped into our CD from the ship. I’m always amazed at what a small world it is. LOL We then walked through the streets and went into a number of craft and other miscellaneous shops.

A fun piece of art along the way.

35474239616_0cf55db9c2_q.jpg

Erika

After we took the ferry back to where we had last seen the bus, we waited about 5 minutes and the next one showed up. One thing we noticed was all the buses were not the same. This bus had one row that would seat 2 and the other only one person. As we rode, we stopped probably about 2 blocks from where we walked by at Granville island. But as it turned out, we were glad we went back. There was a LONG line of folks waiting to get on. And only about ½ could get on our bus. The rest had to wait.

We rode around a bit more and then when we got to Granville street, we hopped off at our hotel, BW Plus Chateau Granville as it would have been check in time and we figured we could finally drop off our backpacks. Our luggage wasn’t at the hotel yet, but the paper said it would be there between 3&6 and it was just after 3. We got to our room and thought was so nice, we were sorry we weren’t staying more than one night. We then went back down and caught the next bus to do more touring. We eventually got off in Gastown and did a little shopping and caught the 2nd to last bus back.

This clock 'steam whistles' and everyone stops and takes a picture of it it, including us. LOL

35127224770_c3dd69a335_q.jpg

Traffic was pretty bad and it seemed like it was going to take forever to circle the city again so we hopped off when we were about 6 blocks from our hotel and just walked back. We checked at the front desk and they said our luggage was delivered. And they said something fell out and didn’t know if it came from our luggage. It was a small plastic bag with some misc coins (to many for my travel wallet and I threw in an outside pocket of my suitcase). Kudos for their honesty. I would never have known it was missing and they could have easily have kept it. We went up to the room and the luggage was in our room. We then went out and grabbed dinner and called it a night as we had to leave at 3AM the next morning.

Erika

Saturday, January 18th – We woke up and hubby commented on the noise during the night (although I didn’t sleep well, I didn’t hear anything). When I looked out first thing (i.e. 2:30am, ish), the block above the hotel was closed and people were walking and shouting in the street. I thought maybe Canada won a hockey game and they were just still celebrating. When we mentioned it at check out, they said that was just Friday night on Granville street. If we were to stay there again, I would ask for a room that faces away from Granville.

We then grabbed a cab to the airport and it cost $30 Canadian. We then went to the kiosk to check our luggage. Alaska Air employees just blew us away with friendliness and helpfulness. Interestingly, we noticed a line of people behind the check in desk. I asked and they said that was the line waiting for luggage check in to open (which opened at 4). As we were international, we had to hand our luggage directly for someone to scan it in on the conveyor belt. Then after we went through security, we were on the way to customs. They had kiosks you scanned yoru passports in and answered some questions. The kiosk printed papers for us. Then we waited in another line waiting for Customs to open. We handed our passport and the paper the kiosk printed. The agent looked it over and said welcome to America.

That sums up the review. I'll be happy to answer any questions (and skiiergirl, hubby's working on the cruise compass' pdfs so I should have them posted tomorrow). I'll post some more photos when I can review which one's I've already posted as not to repeat myself.

Thanx for following.

Erika

I'm hoping these PDF attachments work for everyone as we had to SHRINK them to fit the CC size limitations.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Erika

Radiance Day 1 Micro.pdf

Radiance Day 2 Micro.pdf

Radiance Day 3 Micro.pdf

Radiance Day 4 Micro.pdf

Radiance Day 5 Micro.pdf

Radiance Day 6 Micro.pdf

Radiance Day 7 Micro.pdf

I'm hoping these PDF attachments work for everyone as we had to SHRINK them to fit the CC size limitations.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Erika

These are perfect! Do you have any for the "optional" excursions for the land portion? Did you hear of any excursions that sold out that folks didn't get to do? We always plan everything ahead so this not getting to book until we get there is concerning us since we don't arrive until late evening on the first day.

These are perfect! Do you have any for the "optional" excursions for the land portion? Did you hear of any excursions that sold out that folks didn't get to do? We always plan everything ahead so this not getting to book until we get there is concerning us since we don't arrive until late evening on the first day.

I did post the optional items, but not as a PDF. I'll have to get those created later (I'm at my office now, paperwork at home).

As far as anyone not being able to get what they want, no, I didn't hear anything about that. But chances are, everyone could have attended. With 2 buses worth of folks (70-80~ count), I suspect they would have made it happen. And believe me, they give you more than one chance for upsell. Our tour director asked on a number of days if we were SURE we didn't want to book anything else. Not sure if it was her being nice, getting commission or what. I'm glad in a way and of course, annoyed in another. :confused:

And we're like you, we plan WAY in advance. We had booked everything we wanted for our cruise, except dog sled knowing they HAD to offer one. And they did, 3 of them. But 2 we were told we wouldn't have had time to do. The one we did in Seward was interesting and we were happy with it (even if it was the most expensive one, just by a bit).

Erika

Would still love to see the land excursions offered in PDF form if you have them and it's not too much trouble (from the pretour, not the ports from the boat). Thanks again for all you're sharing!

Would still love to see the land excursions offered in PDF form if you have them and it's not too much trouble (from the pretour, not the ports from the boat). Thanks again for all you're sharing!

We took pictures of that document as our tour director kept the paperwork. I will see if we can turn the jpgs into a PDF when I get home.

Erika

We took pictures of that document as our tour director kept the paperwork. I will see if we can turn the jpgs into a PDF when I get home.

Erika

That would be great. If it's easier or if you have trouble with the PDF's, I'd be happy to email you for the JPG's if you'd prefer.

Also, one opinion question if you don't mind. Did you enjoy how RC handled the pretour? Did you feel rushed? Did you feel you got to do enough/everything you wanted to on land?

We're currently booked to do it through them but are considering a DIY pretour on our own instead. Based on research and on one particular review in the Alaska forum, it seems like if one is comfortable planning a DIY, you could get more bang for your buck and create a more personalized experience.

That would be great. If it's easier or if you have trouble with the PDF's, I'd be happy to email you for the JPG's if you'd prefer.

Also, one opinion question if you don't mind. Did you enjoy how RC handled the pretour? Did you feel rushed? Did you feel you got to do enough/everything you wanted to on land?

We're currently booked to do it through them but are considering a DIY pretour on our own instead. Based on research and on one particular review in the Alaska forum, it seems like if one is comfortable planning a DIY, you could get more bang for your buck and create a more personalized experience.

As far as the jpg to pdf conversion, I 'should' be able to do it, but I am more than happy to email you whatever I have.

In regards to the pre-tour, never having been there, I have to say, I think the pre-tour was actually good.

The pros-

-They handled all the luggage. Basically put it out in the morning and it appeared in your next room that evening (on the days you switched hotels).

-They had the coach bus with a tour guide sharing information so that helped pass the time and of course we didn't have to worry about transportation. This also allowed us to watch the scenery and look for wildlife. We were lucky and got seats near the front of the bus (it pays to be early birds I guess) so that made things even better in my mind.

-They had everything scheduled whereever we went. We just showed up, they gave us our tickets, if applicable and away we went.

-They handled all the hotel rooms. The tour director handed us our room keys. We never had to check in/out or give any credit cards to the hotels. Very easy peasy. (all hotels were decent, although not impressed with our building at Denali Village)

-Their tours (minus going to the North Pole) turned out to be much better than we could have hoped for.

-There was a camaraderie amongst everyone on the bus. Plus that many extra eyes scanning the scenery who might spot something we would have missed. And everyone is now sharing their pictures so that's an added bonus.

Cons -

- We were on their time schedule so there were some times a little more time somewhere would have been nice.

- We were on their time schedule so in the case of the North Pole, skipping it would have been nice.

Just as an fyi, I priced hotel rooms and honestly, our pre-cruise tour costs seemed to basically cover that for the most part. So, considering all the luggage handling and transportation and information, I would say cost wise, we probably came out ahead.

In the end, for a first time tour, I am glad we did it this way. I think we would have missed out on alot had we done it on our own. If we were to do it again, then we might chose to do it on our own. But I don't know.

Hope that helps.

Erika

Thanks for the lengthy response, it was exactly what I was hoping for. You mentioned some things I hadn't considered like being able to relax and look out the window instead of driving a rental car from city to city.

We booked the RC pretour, like you, b/c we have never been there and it's definitely more in my comfort zone to let RC handle the transportation (amongst the other details you mentioned). The only reason we began considering a DIY pretour was b/c of that CC review I mentioned above. It is so detailed (and the poster has been kind enough to answer my questions) that we felt like we could almost follow his exact trip and he did seem to get more value for about the same price along with the flexibility a DIY provides.

If you're going to try to post those PDF's I'll just wait for them before bothering you with an e-mail. Thanks again!

If you're going to try to post those PDF's I'll just wait for them before bothering you with an e-mail. Thanks again!

You're not a bother. I've learned so much from others, I feel it's only right to pay it forward. If you want to email me for more specifics, I'm fine with that.

Erika