Dog on ship

On my cruise last October on the Anthem, there was a cruiser with small breed in the Diamond Lounge. I actually spoke with the owner regarding her dog. I was told she paid a regular fare (????) to bring her dog. The service dog issue never came up even though she was in a wheelchair I also saw her walking around onboard. She informed me there is a special section on the ship for the dogs to handle their business. I was shocked to see a dog on board and even more shocked to see the dog in the Diamond Lounge.

I have seen both good and horrible examples of service and therapy types of dogs onboard. I think most of us would not be bothered if these simple rules were enforced.

1. animals are not to be fed food intended for human consumption in any public areas

2. animals must remain on the floor in public areas, especially in food service areas.

3. animals must not be transported in strollers or other carriages

4. animals must wear a vest or collar that designates their use as a therapy dog. Do other clothing is allowed

5. Owners must be responsible for any cleanup for accidents.

6. The ship will provide a comfort station for service animals and the owners are expected to assure the dog's health and safety needs are met during the entire course of the cruise.

I think this would eliminate the foo foo fakes.

I'm 100% in favor of true service dogs.

I'd like to add to your list. 7. Written documentation of current vaccinations and rabies shots. 8. Proof of insurance in case of injury to others. #8 would cover bites, allergic reactions etc., unless the cruise line accepts responsibility for these problems.

Will cruise lines designate certain cabins for dogs? Hotels that allow pets do this to prevent allergic reactions.

It appears dogs on ships are becoming more prevalent. Cruise lines need to set parameters now and not wait for a major problem to arise.

I'm 100% in favor of true service dogs.

I'd like to add to your list. 7. Written documentation of current vaccinations and rabies shots. 8. Proof of insurance in case of injury to others. #8 would cover bites, allergic reactions etc., unless the cruise line accepts responsibility for these problems.

Will cruise lines designate certain cabins for dogs? Hotels that allow pets do this to prevent allergic reactions.

It appears dogs on ships are becoming more prevalent. Cruise lines need to set parameters now and not wait for a major problem to arise.

What is the big deal if they wear an outfit? How does that prevent them from doing their job.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

The way the current law is if "YOU" say its a service dog it's a Service Dog. Period.

That's why is it so often abused.

There are "working" dogs (police, bomb, drug, etc.) These are not Service dogs.

There are "support" dogs (Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. ... A doctor's letter does not turn an animal into a service animal. Americans With Disabilities cites that emotional support dogs or animals do not have the training to do specific tasks in assisting a person with disability or impairment, unlike service animals. Hence, the pets may not be allowed to accompany their owner in public places ie. restaurants, stores, hotels.) These are not service dogs.

There are "service" dogs and people don't know that the only dogs covered by the ADA are "service" dogs.

But no certification other than the owners word is needed to make it a "service" dog. (A public entity may ask if the animal is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. A public entity shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal.)

It's a very poorly written law.

Documentation is not required under the ADA because that puts an undue burden on the disabled. Documentation can be very expensive and otherwise difficult to get, and Congress can't require doctors to write notes free of charge.

Public spaces accepting emotional support animals when they are not required to do so by law is the real issue. It's rare someone claims they have a service animal instead, and have fake answers to the legal questions at the ready, because they don't have to.

The way the current law is if "YOU" say its a service dog it's a Service Dog. Period.

That's why is it so often abused......

Time to change this law to stop people from abusing the procedure for true service animals on airlines, cruise ships, etc and make cruise lines great again.

Dogs on ships can be a problem, just like they can be a problem when that 'dog' is not really a service/therapy dog with special training. I work in an environment where people regularly come in with their dogs. It is immediately apparent (no special vest or tag on their collar needed) that they are a specially trained dog, because they walk very close to their master. When their master stops walking, so does the dog; if the master stops for more than a short period of time, the dog rests on the floor. It is amazing. Never once in our business has the owner of a service dog ever put the dog up on our counters or other public displays.....ah but those people whose dogs are not really service dogs, but pets, don't display such discipline. The owners don't display discipline either putting their dogs on displays and counters that they do not belong on.

I am afraid of dogs; I have had issues with dogs who are out of control; but never once has a real service dog been a problem. I know that dogs can sense when someone is uncomfortable around them -- but service dogs have been trained to focus on their owners needs and not the 'vibes' that a fearful person around them has.

Dogs who are pets, I wish would not be allowed on ships. I have seen them, it is easy to identify them.....and it is just as easy for me to avoid them. I shouldn't have to change where I want to walk just because of a dog and their owner that I want to avoid.....I also understand the dilemma a cruise line has..... I also wonder, how many people after a bad experience with a dog on board, choose NEVER to cruise on that line again.

At my job, I have TOLD, not asked, customers to take their dog off the counter (where I clearly tell the customer the dog does not belong). My boss wishes I would not do it --- he is afraid of the customer not coming back. My answer is simple -- if I say it to them nicely, there should be no problem.....he also has a choice, he can choose me as his employee or the customer, who comes to us, because they WANT our service and product. The customer comes back and if the customer wants someone else to take care of them -- that is just fine with me. But my boss, is not willing to do without me.

And then there are those of us with dog allergies that can end in an Asthma attack, depending on the type of dog. Whose needs should get preference?

My sentiment exactly. I have severe asthma, and the dog/cat allergy is my worst of my allergens. I don't think that the way the laws are set up, and how easy it is to get a fake certificate, we can blame the cruise lines. We need to write to congressman and others to get the law reworded on this. There are very real service animals, with legitimate certificates showing this..... My fear now is, what if the dog had been in my cabin a prior cruise, and I really had a bad attack from the allergens left in the room. How do we know where the dogs have been? I bring my own nebulizer machine with me on vacations, but I don't think it is fair to me when I am so very careful to avoid my allergens.

Maybe there should be certain areas/cabins that are delegated for the dogs. Just like smoking areas. Again, if it is a true service animal it is necessary that they are allowed everywhere...

There is a very easy test that could and should be performed before the dog is allowed on board.

Take it's vest off and put it away, a properly trained service dog will turn back into a dog. Take the vest out and put it on the dog and the service dog stops being a dog and goes back to work. There is no reason to discuss the persons disability at all.

As for some of the pictures posted, it is highly doubtful that the bull dog is a service dog. It's at the full length of it's leash and not paying any attention to its handler. This dog isn't even properly leash trained let alone trained to be a service animal. The German Sheppard on the balcony is off duty, as there is no vest, the dog should be acting like a dog so there is no way to really tell if it is a service animal or not. The lady with two dogs in a stroller, doubtful either is a service animal, and there is no way both are as one animal ONLY is used per person. If you are blind and deaf your service animal will aid you in both disabilities you won't have one for each.

I didn't forget to mention "emotional support" dogs, they shouldn't be allowed, they are pets. Period.

Yes, but what about <insert what ever real or imagined disability here>. If it is a real condition, get a properly trained service animal. They are very expensive and they are NOT pets.

My sentiment exactly. I have severe asthma, and the dog/cat allergy is my worst of my allergens. I don't think that the way the laws are set up, and how easy it is to get a fake certificate, we can blame the cruise lines. We need to write to congressman and others to get the law reworded on this. There are very real service animals, with legitimate certificates showing this..... My fear now is, what if the dog had been in my cabin a prior cruise, and I really had a bad attack from the allergens left in the room. How do we know where the dogs have been? I bring my own nebulizer machine with me on vacations, but I don't think it is fair to me when I am so very careful to avoid my allergens.

Maybe there should be certain areas/cabins that are delegated for the dogs. Just like smoking areas. Again, if it is a true service animal it is necessary that they are allowed everywhere...

As much as I would like to believe our Congressmen and Senators would care to reword this.....I don't believe they would pay it any attention at all. If they can't make money on it, or the companies that put money into their campaign coffers --- it won't interest them.

There is a very easy test that could and should be performed before the dog is allowed on board.

Take it's vest off and put it away, a properly trained service dog will turn back into a dog. Take the vest out and put it on the dog and the service dog stops being a dog and goes back to work. There is no reason to discuss the persons disability at all.

As for some of the pictures posted, it is highly doubtful that the bull dog is a service dog. It's at the full length of it's leash and not paying any attention to its handler. This dog isn't even properly leash trained let alone trained to be a service animal. The German Sheppard on the balcony is off duty, as there is no vest, the dog should be acting like a dog so there is no way to really tell if it is a service animal or not. The lady with two dogs in a stroller, doubtful either is a service animal, and there is no way both are as one animal ONLY is used per person. If you are blind and deaf your service animal will aid you in both disabilities you won't have one for each.

I didn't forget to mention "emotional support" dogs, they shouldn't be allowed, they are pets. Period.

Yes, but what about <insert what ever real or imagined disability here>. If it is a real condition, get a properly trained service animal. They are very expensive and they are NOT pets.

The statement that I have highlighted in red of yours, I would need more proof from agencies that do the training as to whether it is accurate. To me, a true service dog who can aide their master with a health issue, is NEVER not performing their job of vigilance -- or the life of their master would be at risk at that time. They are always a dog, and they are always "at work" they are never 'off the clock' so to speak.

As much as I would like to believe our Congressmen and Senators would care to reword this.....I don't believe they would pay it any attention at all. If they can't make money on it, or the companies that put money into their campaign coffers --- it won't interest them.

You nailed it.

Dogs on ships can be a problem, just like they can be a problem when that 'dog' is not really a service/therapy dog with special training. I work in an environment where people regularly come in with their dogs. It is immediately apparent (no special vest or tag on their collar needed) that they are a specially trained dog, because they walk very close to their master. When their master stops walking, so does the dog; if the master stops for more than a short period of time, the dog rests on the floor. It is amazing. Never once in our business has the owner of a service dog ever put the dog up on our counters or other public displays.....ah but those people whose dogs are not really service dogs, but pets, don't display such discipline. The owners don't display discipline either putting their dogs on displays and counters that they do not belong on.

I am afraid of dogs; I have had issues with dogs who are out of control; but never once has a real service dog been a problem. I know that dogs can sense when someone is uncomfortable around them -- but service dogs have been trained to focus on their owners needs and not the 'vibes' that a fearful person around them has.

Dogs who are pets, I wish would not be allowed on ships. I have seen them, it is easy to identify them.....and it is just as easy for me to avoid them. I shouldn't have to change where I want to walk just because of a dog and their owner that I want to avoid.....I also understand the dilemma a cruise line has..... I also wonder, how many people after a bad experience with a dog on board, choose NEVER to cruise on that line again.

At my job, I have TOLD, not asked, customers to take their dog off the counter (where I clearly tell the customer the dog does not belong). My boss wishes I would not do it --- he is afraid of the customer not coming back. My answer is simple -- if I say it to them nicely, there should be no problem.....he also has a choice, he can choose me as his employee or the customer, who comes to us, because they WANT our service and product. The customer comes back and if the customer wants someone else to take care of them -- that is just fine with me. But my boss, is not willing to do without me.

I like your principles and it is good your boss backs you.

I like dogs but when i am dressed i don't like dogs jumping up on me with their front paws, something a service animal would never do.

I agree totally there should be designated cabins which are for dogs and their owners.

There are disabled cabins and these would be the logical answer.

One of my neighbours is registered blind but her guide dog rarely has a coat on but it is totally obedient.