Needing help from Fiumicino Airport to Civitavecchia on same day of Cruise

Has anyone flown into Fiumicino Airport and gotten on the cruise ship in Civitavecchia the same day? I am planning on going on the October 6th, 2018 cruise and want to know if I arrive at the airport by 10:00-11:00 am would be sufficient to make it to boarding by 3 or 4PM. We have never done any international travel just local ports like Miami and Port Canaveral. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Yes I did it however my flight arrived early morning. I met up with someone on my roll call who had a flight arriving close to mine.

You can arrange a private vehicle, take the train, share a car with others on your roll call or take the Royal Caribbean shuttle.

I wouldn't risk taking the train getting there as it is a bit of a faff. I have done it the other way, at the end of a cruise when I had plenty of time. The cruise port is quite a way from the airport, 45 - 60 mins drive (at least, depending on traffic). But if you have a transfer booked or get Royals transfer you should be ok, as long as your flight is on time. However Rome is a wonderful city and it is a shame to travel all that way and not stay a few days.

We have done it too, but as Europeans travelling on a Schengen-space flight, so no passport control and immigration. If you are coming from the US processing time on arrival will be longer for sure.

In our case it helped my stress levels that the next port was Naples the very next day, so easy to get to and with minimum fall-out if things had gone pear-shaped. However, we were very tired,so the whole of the first day was ruined. That is also something to consider if you are arriving on an overnight trans-Atlantic flight.

We also used Bob's limos and ended up with a private transfer despite paying only for shared. Very good service that I have no hesitation in recommending. We used them for the return trip to the airport too.

Has anyone flown into Fiumicino Airport and gotten on the cruise ship in Civitavecchia the same day? I am planning on going on the October 6th, 2018 cruise and want to know if I arrive at the airport by 10:00-11:00 am would be sufficient to make it to boarding by 3 or 4PM. We have never done any international travel just local ports like Miami and Port Canaveral. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Most cruise lines will offer a transfer from the airport to the ship or you could get a taxi.

When we sailed on Navigator a few years ago from Rome there were coaches laid n and it was well organised.

I wouldn't risk taking the train getting there as it is a bit of a faff. I have done it the other way, at the end of a cruise when I had plenty of time. The cruise port is quite a way from the airport, 45 - 60 mins drive (at least, depending on traffic). But if you have a transfer booked or get Royals transfer you should be ok, as long as your flight is on time. However Rome is a wonderful city and it is a shame to travel all that way and not stay a few days.

This is great advice because if you sail from Rome you will not have the opportunity otherwise to see what is the main attraction in the Mediterranean.

We just cruised out of Rome earlier this month. Our friends landed on the same day the cruise started and they dropped their bags off with the Celebrity team at the airport. Royal Caribbean also has their team stationed at the airport, you can just drop your bags off with them and it reaches your stateroom directly. We did this in 2011. The cost is over $100 per person.

We took a private cab (details in my review below) and it took us under an hour from Rome city to Civitavecchia cruise port. We were also thinking of the train, but with 2 large bags, the car was the way to go. It cost us 99 Euros for a private taxi (Mercedes sedan) to take 2 of us from our Rome airport to the cruise port.

I wouldn't risk taking the train getting there as it is a bit of a faff. ...

I agree, because there is no direct train route. One has to transfer at Trastevere or Termini, and luggage transfer is not the easiest.

Edited by clarea

I agree, because there is no direct train route. One has to transfer at Trastevere or Termini, and kluggage transfer is not the easiest.

On our last cruise a few weeks ago people who toured independently to Rome were taking up to two and a half hours to get back on the train so i would take the transfer or a taxi especially with luggage.

Oh, yes. We plan on staying in Tome for several days when the cruise is finished but just want d to save on hotel fees prior to the cruise. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used Bobs limos €75, nice new Mercedes. It was meant to be a shared shuttle but we were the only ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also used Bob's Limos last month from Civi to Rome at a cost of 75 euros for two. Would highly recommend them.

We flew in from the UK and got the train, not so bad for us as we didn't have lots of luggage, if I recall it was the train from Airport to San Pietro where we changed for the Civitavecchia train, we did have lots of time though as our flight landed at 9am.

Done it a few times same day. Flight usually gets in about 11. Bags are slow in Rome so build that in. Take a private car or cab from outside. Fairly easy, about an hour to port. Or book a transfer with the cruise line but they charge highly for it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have used Romecabs.com in the past and they are excellent. If you are flying in from the US there is no way I would risk a same day arrival. Too many things can go wrong and your options become very limited. I would spend the extra money for a simple hotel near the airport and get a good night's sleep before heading to the ship the next morning.

That sounds like a bad idea to me. Fly "down" the night before from wherever you are in Europe. You really should not do a US flight and go straight to the cruise. We re flying out tomorrow night to Venice, and traveling for about 10 days before our cruise out of Civitavechhia. You will be really sad if you miss Rome. It's magical.