Diamond Plus Upsell Fairy vs Complimentary Upgrade

I am Diamond + and have set my upgrade preferences to "no upgrade". We always book a Grand Suite and the only cabin we're interested in a complimentary upgrade to is an Owner's Suite since we don't care for the lofts because we prefer everything on one flloor. We have B2B cruises booked in Sept on Anthem and there are approx. 18 GS & above cabins left. Has anyone ever received an upsell call with "no upgrade" under their preferences. I'd be interested in an upsell for an OS (no longer available), but won't change my preferences and risk being moved to a loft.

I didn't think they made complimentary upgrade phone calls anymore. In the past prior to "upgrade preferences", I've received both calls and automatic upgrades.

I have to admit that we've not receive an upgrade call since we opted to be called first. I really believe they give priority to the automatic upgrades because it's less hassle for them.

When I spoke with C&A D+ today, I was told there is no option to receive a call for a complimentary upgrade if I set my preferences to no upgrade.

I was told exactly this when I received my first D+ upsell 3 yrs ago on Legend.

I have to admit that we've not receive an upgrade call since we opted to be called first. I really believe they give priority to the automatic upgrades because it's less hassle for them.

Absolutely! Much more efficient to call those who have set "prefer an automatic upgrade" and get 20 YES answers right away rather than make the same 20 calls to maybe get one person to say yes :)

I was told exactly this when I received my first D+ upsell 3 yrs ago on Legend.

Absolutely! Much more efficient to call those who have set "prefer an automatic upgrade" and get 20 YES answers right away rather than make the same 20 calls to maybe get one person to say yes :)

Even more efficient to just upgrade the paxs with no call.....that's why I have a "no upgrade" preference.

Do really like Royal's opinion of the term "upgrade".

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I am Diamond + and have set my upgrade preferences to "no upgrade". We always book a Grand Suite and the only cabin we're interested in a complimentary upgrade to is an Owner's Suite since we don't care for the lofts because we prefer everything on one flloor. We have B2B cruises booked in Sept on Anthem and there are approx. 18 GS & above cabins left. Has anyone ever received an upsell call with "no upgrade" under their preferences. I'd be interested in an upsell for an OS (no longer available), but won't change my preferences and risk being moved to a loft.

Yes! This past cruise on Navigator we had a corner aft balcony I didn't want to lose, so I set my preferences to No Upgrade. However, a couple weeks before sailing they called to offer me an upsell to a junior suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If we book an accessible cabin, would they upgrade to an accessible in a higher category (like ocean view to balcony)? I set my preference to no upgrade because I was afraid we would lose the accessible cabin which we need with a mobility scooter.

Yes! This past cruise on Navigator we had a corner aft balcony I didn't want to lose, so I set my preferences to No Upgrade. However, a couple weeks before sailing they called to offer me an upsell to a junior suite.

Did you take it?.

Interesting question. Over the past few years they have changed the options you can set in your profile. One of them use to be CALL BEFORE UPGRADING ME. Is that still there? I think I saw it was gone, but that would have been a good choice in your case, or for me once I get past Majesty I have the coveted corner aft on Jewel next year. I could see them pulling a trick thinking another D class balcony in the midship could be considered an upgrade in some mines. I would only give up that room for at least a JS.

Thanks! Good to know! I'll keep my fingers crossed. Did you book directly through RCCL? I book with a big box chain.

Interesting question. Over the past few years they have changed the options you can set in your profile. One of them use to be CALL BEFORE UPGRADING ME. Is that still there? ...

That option is not selectable via the web page, but can be set by calling C&A. Note however that since I asked for that option to be set a few years ago, we've never been called for an upgrade.

Ah so it does happen. I'd be willing to bet this was one of those rare instances where they weren't upselling/upgrading the entire ship, but calling you specifically for your desirable corner aft cabin that someone else (ie. Pinnacle) really wanted for a b2b for example and you just happened to be "in the way" so to speak with your preference set to no upgrade.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else if they got called from an average balcony even though their preferences set to no upgrade/

I actually assumed if you set your request to "no upgrade" that meant you would never be called...Wish their were a few more options...like "category upgrade" offered...this would make things easier. I'm don't trust RCI to have the same understanding of an upgrade within the same category as I do.

That option is not selectable via the web page, but can be set by calling C&A. Note however that since I asked for that option to be set a few years ago, we've never been called for an upgrade.

I think occasionally Royal restores those settings from a back up file. When I made my last reservation they had an old email address and phone number, I updated them to what it was for most of the past 10 years. Sometimes things just get changed somehow. Every cruise with my wife and beds together, but one time I checked and it was showing separate, and no she didn't request that.

I'm don't trust RCI to have the same understanding of an upgrade within the same category as I do.[/b]

From what I have read here that is wise. I've read reports of people being moved from aft balcony to mid ship in the same class and having that called an upgrade.

On the "Automatic Upgrade" is that only if its a "free" upgrade? I don't mind upsell calls, but if I put my setting to "Auto" will they just bill for the difference?

No, they won't do an automatic upsell. They will call for that. Only the free upgrade would happen without a call.

I just wanted to say thanks for this post, I am Diamond Plus and had no idea there was even a place for that on the site-mine is all updated now and we just booked a cruise for 07-29, we are in a junky guarantee balcony on the front of the ship on the 12th floor so I'd love an upgrade of any kind :)

I just wanted to say thanks for this post, I am Diamond Plus and had no idea there was even a place for that on the site-mine is all updated now and we just booked a cruise for 07-29, we are in a junky guarantee balcony on the front of the ship on the 12th floor so I'd love an upgrade of any kind :)

I assume you know you can move to any other cabin within the same category, if available.

And if it is a D2 there is only 1 left deck 13 13204 more mid ship so call fast. If it's a D5 there are several to pick from. Good luck

Good luck I hope you get a super cabin.

And if it is a D2 there is only 1 left deck 13 13204 more mid ship so call fast. If it's a D5 there are several to pick from. Good luck

If it's none of those, you could ask to be put back into the GTY pool and if granted, hope for a better assignment.