Why do I keep reading to stay on the boat at Freeport and Nassau

dliteu

This was cabbage beach in Nassau. ac210a86d1aaded8e392f4c04cb9e46d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did they ever install restrooms at cabbage beach ? :o . Blue shirt , bluish green beach ;p . Tell me that man enjoyed the ocean :D

Freeport - tour that goes to Garden Of The Groves and Lucaya is a great tour; we've done it several times. Conch fritters and Kalik beer just inside the entrance in Lucaya is wonderful.

Nassau - take a cab to Junkanoo Beach area, enjoy the local color and eat EVERYTHING at Two Brothers. Cab fare very reasonable and govt controlled.

You've already paid a lot of money to be there, take that last step and enjoy the locale.

We never stay on the ship, but Nassau is not our favorite. We took our daughter to Atlantis once which was pretty cool, but in my opinion not worth the crazy money it cost. Once my husband and I just walked around port and the locals were very aggressive with peddling their stuff. I know that's not unique to Nassau, but it annoyed me a little extra that day. So we picked up some souvenirs, walked around a bit and just got back on the ship and enjoyed having it to ourselves.

In my opinion they are simply sub par compared to other destinations. Lots of people don't do group excursions and like to get out an explore on the fly. Those options are limited at both ports, you are stuck in a tourist trap area with an unlimited supply of pushy vendors. After the first couple of trips I no longer have an interest in either port.

I keep seeing this time and time again in these threads. Please tell me why people keep posting this. Aren't these Caribbean islands with stunning water. Who or why would you take a cruise and not get off the ship at these ports. Please help me understand this thinking. Actually am hoping people will post why you SHOULD get off the boat. Really want to hear the Pros

Because internet forums turn into adults playing the telephone game. Once person says Freeport is an industrial port, the next person assumes that means there is nothing to do at Freeport because the port is industrial and so it goes. And for those who have been there many times, if repetition is a bad thing, why in the heck are you even cruising to that port....or even cruising at all?

Most cruise ports are terrible if you just want to get off the ship and walk around (besides private island experiences). Nassau is easily one of my favorites because there is so much to do. I also visit somewhat regularly by plane! Just there last week and will be back next month (if not sooner).

It's like anywhere else, you need to plan what you want to do. The only people that don't like it are the ones who don't want to spend any money and just want to walk around the port. I'd stay on the ship in that case, too, at almost any port.

Book an excursion, or figure out a game plan for Nassau. It's an outstanding place with so much to do.

... and the locals were very aggressive with peddling their stuff. I know that's not unique to Nassau...

It's certainly not. In Mexico we ran into the same thing. Not just at the port but at the places we visited as well. Our guide was really good about running them off but you do have to be firm with them and just keep walking.

I think I've been accosted by vendors on St. Maarten at Phillipsburgh Beach as much as some vendors in Nassau and MoBay, yet St. Maarten is never downplayed while Nassau and MoBay get blasted.

I actually enjoy talking with some of the locals, just not the ones offering me weed, a "date" or whatever. Those I can easily brush off with a friendly rejoinder, but the legitimate vendors have a lot of info to offer on where to go and what to do. I enjoy eating at local restaurants where few tourists go, and I avoid the chains like Margaritavilles, Senor Frog's, etc.

Maybe being a Noo Yawker has given me more exposure to different people and diverse customs than for someone living elsewhere.

I think I've been accosted by vendors on St. Maarten at Phillipsburgh Beach as much as some vendors in Nassau and MoBay, yet St. Maarten is never downplayed while Nassau and MoBay get blasted.

I actually enjoy talking with some of the locals, just not the ones offering me weed, a "date" or whatever. Those I can easily brush off with a friendly rejoinder, but the legitimate vendors have a lot of info to offer on where to go and what to do. I enjoy eating at local restaurants where few tourists go, and I avoid the chains like Margaritavilles, Senor Frog's, etc.

Maybe being a Noo Yawker has given me more exposure to different people and diverse customs than for someone living elsewhere.

The locals in Nassau are service focused. Last cab I was in the driver was bragging about how much friendlier the Bahamians are than Jamaicans. It seems to be part of the culture there, and the Bahamians 100% recognize that their lives depend on tourism. You'll get the aggressive/rude bad apples like anywhere, but overall I've found the Bahamians to be extraordinarily welcoming and service oriented.

I keep seeing this time and time again in these threads. Please tell me why people keep posting this. Aren't these Caribbean islands with stunning water. Who or why would you take a cruise and not get off the ship at these ports. Please help me understand this thinking. Actually am hoping people will post why you SHOULD get off the boat. Really want to hear the Pros

Having cruised 15 times now I personally like having an island where I've been there and done that and now have an island where I will have a chance to explore and enjoy a nearly EMPTY ship. Usually when this happens the island is a duplicate for us but the ship is not. I love exploring the ship and enjoying areas that are so packed on sea days that I don't even enjoy walking through them. To each his own. I would love it for you to get off the ship and explore the island. Please go ahead and explore :D;p:cool:.

I vaguely remember stopping at Freeport on one of our earliest cruises and there was a small straw market there and that was it, not sure about any excursions. We've not been there since, so I would probably do some research and see what excursions were offered if we were to ever stop there again.

Nassau has been a stop on several of our cruises and we have gotten off twice, for excursions and shopping, etc. The other times we have chosen to stay on the ship and enjoy a MUCH less crowded ship.

The last time we stopped at Belize we didn't get off the ship either, as we've been there a couple times and have done what we wanted to do there so we didn't care about taking a 45-minute tender boat ride just to walk around and shop. So, again, we enjoyed a MUCH less crowded ship, in fact the port days where we stay on the ship are the only times we are able to enjoy the Serenity area as they are so crowded every other day. We enjoy walking around the ship and exploring all they have to offer. Most times, FOR US, the actual destination is the ship, rather than the ports. Ports are just extra.

Everyone has their own opinion on this, and there is NO right or wrong to either one.

Most cruise ports are terrible if you just want to get off the ship and walk around (besides private island experiences). Nassau is easily one of my favorites because there is so much to do. I also visit somewhat regularly by plane! Just there last week and will be back next month (if not sooner).

It's like anywhere else, you need to plan what you want to do. The only people that don't like it are the ones who don't want to spend any money and just want to walk around the port. I'd stay on the ship in that case, too, at almost any port.

Book an excursion, or figure out a game plan for Nassau. It's an outstanding place with so much to do.

Probably less than 10% of cruisers have heard of Cable Beach, but IMO, it's the loveliest beach on Nassau. Maybe a 20 minute cab or bus ride.

I think part of the reason some people don't like Nassau is on many cruises the hours in port are not easy to find something good to do. All of my stops there have been around 7am to 2pm or 2pm to 7pm. Many independent tours and places are open from 9 to 5. You have very little time to enjoy anything. Even with the Carnival excursions time is limited and way too expensive for what you get. A cruise to Nassau when in port from somewhere around 8am to 5 or 6pm would open up many more options.

It isn't only Carnival that has weird hours in Nassau, I have seen it on other lines too. I think it is this way so they can have many ships stop there. Cruise lines like to have an extra port listed and this one must have cheap fees. One time when we missed it we were told we would get $1.99 OBC which was a refund of the fees for Nassau.

If you read up on the Bahamas, you will find plenty to do that suits you. Many of us have been there so many times, it's a great chance to use the ship we've PAID to use without the crowds, so that's why we stay on the ship...or maybe go ashore for a bit, but return in short order.

And, BTW, the Bahamas are NOT "Caribbean" islands...they are in the Atlantic Ocean! Yes, they have some pretty water...similar to Miami and the Keys.

Thanks

My kids love Atlantis but for a family of 4 it is a $500 day at least

You should be able to get lower prices than that with some shopping around. Check out the Ports of Call boards for more info; day passes are often offered for less than the cruise line excursion price.

For example, booking a room at the Comfort Suites Paradise Island gets you free access to Atlantis, including Aquaventure, for the day (and even a room to freshen up in, if you have time after your visit to Atlantis). The hotel is right down the hill from the Atlantis Coral Towers entrance; an easy walk.

This has been done by cruise ship passengers for years and the hotel expects it. The price for the room, even adding on $40/pp for the extra two people, should be much less than $500.

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should be able to get lower prices than that with some shopping around. Check out the Ports of Call boards for more info; day passes are often offered for less than the cruise line excursion price.

For example, booking a room at the Comfort Suites Paradise Island gets you free access to Atlantis, including Aquaventure, for the day (and even a room to freshen up in, if you have time after your visit to Atlantis). The hotel is right down the hill from the Atlantis Coral Towers entrance; an easy walk.

This has been done by cruise ship passengers for years and the hotel expects it. The price for the room, even adding on $40/pp for the extra two people, should be much less than $500.

Thank you! For years we did the Comfort In, they have wised up and raised the prices the last few years and the price I quoted included cab, food, etc

Kids love it but its a big day

I enjoyed Nassau. The vendors are extremely pushy, but a firm no gets them to stop. We went to the public beach on paradise island, it was only like $4 for the cab ride. The beach was clean and the water was wonderful. I have read that Nassau is not the safest place, so that might make people want to stay on the ship. I have not been to Freeport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly, From a Crime Standpoint Just Read the US State Dept Website and I quote:CRIME: The criminal threat level for New Providence Island (includes Nassau and Paradise Island) is rated as critical by the Department of State. Crime in Grand Bahama has increased this past year. Criminal activity on the outlying family islands does occur, but to a much lesser degree than on New Providence or Grand Bahama.

Armed robbery and sexual assault are major criminal threats facing U.S. citizens in New Providence. The U.S. Embassy has received multiple reports indicating tourists have been robbed at gunpoint or knifepoint in tourist locations in the downtown areas of Nassau; several of these incidents occurred during daylight hours. The U.S. Embassy has received reports of sexual assaults in tourist areas as well. The Bahamas has one of the highest incidences of sexual assault in the Caribbean, according to 2012 United Nations report.

Remember if Cruise Ships would stop going there, The Government of the Bahamas would start cracking down on this stuff.

Mpdog42

Exactly, From a Crime Standpoint Just Read the US State Dept Website and I quote:CRIME: The criminal threat level for New Providence Island (includes Nassau and Paradise Island) is rated as critical by the Department of State. Crime in Grand Bahama has increased this past year. Criminal activity on the outlying family islands does occur, but to a much lesser degree than on New Providence or Grand Bahama.

Armed robbery and sexual assault are major criminal threats facing U.S. citizens in New Providence. The U.S. Embassy has received multiple reports indicating tourists have been robbed at gunpoint or knife point in tourist locations in the downtown areas of Nassau; several of these incidents occurred during daylight hours. The U.S. Embassy has received reports of sexual assaults in tourist areas as well. The Bahamas has one of the highest incidences of sexual assault in the Caribbean, according to 2012 United Nations report.

Remember if Cruise Ships would stop going there, The Government of the Bahamas would start cracking down on this stuff

Gonna be a tough call , money all the way around.

Thank you! For years we did the Comfort In, they have wised up and raised the prices the last few years and the price I quoted included cab, food, etc

Kids love it but its a big day

No kiddin'. There are cheaper places to eat there (nothing's truly "cheap," but cheapER :) ) but they're few and far between. There's Marina Pizzeria, and the Quizno's and the new Burger Shack in Marina Village (took the place of Johnny Rocket's; good riddance)...and that's basically it.