Pocket knife question

Herfnerd

Haven't seen anything new on a search within the last 4-5 years but we will be sailing HAL for the first time this coming September and I see they prohibit anything with a blade longer than 2.5" long and 1/2" wide. All our sailings have been on Carnival where they limit it to 4" and under and no width restriction - interesting but not what I'm asking about.

I'm just curious if anyone can tell me if there would be an issue with me getting off and back on the ship with the Swiss Army knife I carry daily. We will be on the Eurodam - Alaska RT out of Seattle. I always pack it in checked luggage and the scissors, tweezers, etc are indispensable to me and my wife

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does the knife blade (or blades) on the knife you carry daily and find indispensable meet the HAL criteria of being up to 2 1/2" long and1/2" wide? If so, you should be fine. Larger knives, especially dive knives are held by security.

I just purchased a small Swiss Army knife, small blade, tweezers and scissors that meet the new rules so I can still have the conveniences I'm used to. I don't expect to have any problems getting on and off the ship with it. My old favorite knife with the screwdriver did not meet the rules. But my multi-tool does, so I can still pack that (in checked airline luggage), it has the little pliers which I have used for luggage repairs and other fixes. m--

Haven't seen anything new on a search within the last 4-5 years but we will be sailing HAL for the first time this coming September and I see they prohibit anything with a blade longer than 2.5" long and 1/2" wide. All our sailings have been on Carnival where they limit it to 4" and under and no width restriction - interesting but not what I'm asking about.

I'm just curious if anyone can tell me if there would be an issue with me getting off and back on the ship with the Swiss Army knife I carry daily. We will be on the Eurodam - Alaska RT out of Seattle. I always pack it in checked luggage and the scissors, tweezers, etc are indispensable to me and my wife

TIA

HAL used to enforce/temporarily confiscate knives having blades with 4" or longer however, a year and a half ago, lowered that to knives having blades with 2 1/2" or longer. If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I would say that Carnival is now also enforcing that rule

If any of the tentacles on your awesome Swiss Army knife are 2 1/2" or smaller, you should have no issues with either shore-side and/or ship security, and will get to keep that bad boy. Enjoy that cruise!

Since you probably won't have a need for a knife on the cruise(they now provide them free of charge). Why don't you just take store bought scissors, tweezers etc that is so indespensible and then you will have nothing to worry about

TIA

You can never tell w knives. I always carry one of those small Swiss Army Knives. The total length of the knife w the blade open is maybe a bit more than 3 inches. I have never had a problem except one time. Can't remember which port or which line but they took it from me and I got it back at the end of the cruise. Maybe the security person just had a bad morning that day but regardless of the rules, who is going to argue w security.

DON

Carnival still has the 4" blade policy, at least as of today, according to their website. That's why I don't recommend getting in a knife fight with a Carnival passenger. That extra inch and a half might not seem like much, but in close quarters combat...

The standard Victorinox Swiss Army Knife only has a 60 mm blade (~2.45") so it shouldn't be a problem. Even the ones with a ridiculous number of tools, like the Swiss Champ, have the same length long blade.

If you have a longer Swiss Army Knife (the 130mm ones) , you could have close to a 4" blade. There are plenty (most really) Swiss Army knives that would meet the requirements.

Since you probably won't have a need for a knife on the cruise(they now provide them free of charge). Why don't you just take store bought scissors, tweezers etc that is so indespensible and then you will have nothing to worry about

Because I don't want to be walking around in port with a pocketful of scissors, tweezers, nail file, etc

• Like 1

You should be good if you are within the limits, but keep in mind that some port security staff may confiscate anyways.

I had my little pruners (for cutting flowers) confiscated as we were boarding despite the fact they were much smaller than the scissor rule.

I had to ask for security and they were returned with apologies. It was port security that took them, not HAL staff. So, just a heads up in case.

From what I can tell, its one of those - "It depends."

Recently someone (Crew News) had an extension cord confiscated by port security - that would be independent of the cruise line & contrary to the rules of the cruise line, meanwhile he packed a similar one & it made it through.

So I would pack it in your checked bag, not your carry on.

(I'm glad that you are not asking about the pen knife that your grandpa gave you - I'd advise you leave that at home.)

Funny thing - they sell Ulu knifes onboard the Alaska ships and they could be very dangerous weapons IMO.

One time we bought one on an Alaska cruise and the next day we were boarding another HAL ship to continue our trip (sort of a back to back). Security saw the Ulu knife and wanted to keep it (until after the cruise I assume), until I showed them the HAL logo and receipt on it!

Right hand versus left hand thinking.

Funny thing - they sell Ulu knifes onboard the Alaska ships and they could be very dangerous weapons IMO.

One time we bought one on an Alaska cruise and the next day we were boarding another HAL ship to continue our trip (sort of a back to back). Security saw the Ulu knife and wanted to keep it (until after the cruise I assume), until I showed them the HAL logo and receipt on it!

Right hand versus left hand thinking.

That's one of the items we plan on purchasing at one of our port stops - an ulu. I expect to have it held to the end of our cruise, though

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bob has worn a kilt on several HAL cruises and usually brings a 'rubber' sgian-dubh with a real handle. He always packs it on the top of a checked bag. On last winter's cruise he packed the real razor sharp knife in error which was in his sporran along with the rubber one.

Never once has it been picked up!! First time he expected to have his bag held; though I suppose rubber wouldn't how in Xray -- so things are missed in error or indifference.

Ruth

They make a Swiss Army knife that is bladeless. In 1999 a classmate of my daughter's wrote the company and suggested it because he couldn't carry his bladed SAK at school.

The company sent him a letter with the first one they made.

They make a Swiss Army knife that is bladeless. In 1999 a classmate of my daughter's wrote the company and suggested it because he couldn't carry his bladed SAK at school.

The company sent him a letter with the first one they made.

Wouldn't that be a bladeless multi - tool? Although I kinda like the term "Swiss Army Handle." ;)

To the OP:

I also travel everywhere with my trusty Swiss Army Knife. I've had it since I went to work as a camp counselor waaaaaaaay back in 1973. It has the blade, scissors, tweezers, toothpick, corkscrew, bottle/can opener, awl. The closest model to it now is the Climber. I am so attached to that knife that I bought a second one to keep at my old vacation house because I flew with just a daypack and couldn't carry the knife onboard!

I just pulled it out of my bag and grabbed the newer one also and measured the largest blade for you: It is 2 1/4" to the hilt, 2 1/2" to where it attaches to the holder. It is 1/2" wide.

I take that knife everywhere because: I never know when I'm going to hit a market and buy some sausage, meat, cheese, tomatoes, bread for a quick lunch on the road. I never know when I'm going to have to cut off some moleskin (the scissors do this well) when I'm walking around and develop a blister. I never know when I'm going to encounter a bottle without a screw-of bottletop. I never know when I'm going to encounter an "easy open/tear" package that doesn't tear for me (getting more frequent as I get older!) I never know when I'm going to get a splinter. And, I never know when I'm going to encounter a bottle of wine...

• Like 1

I take that knife everywhere because: I never know when I'm going to hit a market and buy some sausage, meat, cheese, tomatoes, bread for a quick lunch on the road. I never know when I'm going to have to cut off some moleskin (the scissors do this well) when I'm walking around and develop a blister. I never know when I'm going to encounter a bottle without a screw-of bottletop. I never know when I'm going to encounter an "easy open/tear" package that doesn't tear for me (getting more frequent as I get older!) I never know when I'm going to get a splinter. And, I never know when I'm going to encounter a bottle of wine...

Definitely plus one (when on vacation).

This is a useful thread for me. I have always taken my Swiss Army knife with me in my checked luggage and always have a use for it in the room; particularly to tighten loose allen screws. I knew that I couldn't take it ashore and never tried. Just measured the large blade and it is 2.5". However, I always carry a small Gerber knife in my pocket and feel naked walking around foreign ports without one. Just measured my small pocket knife and the blade is just under 2.25 inches. So I should be able to carry it on and off the ship.

Incidentally, I read last year that TSA was going to relax security and allow you to carry a small pocket knife on board a plane. Whatever happened to that?

I always carry my swiss army knife. The sharpened part of the blade is 1.25 inches the overall length of the closed knife is 2.25 inches. It has the scissors and tweezers and such. I put it in my checked luggage and when the luggage arrives, it goes in my front pocket. I carry it when I go on shore and when going through security to reboard I place it in the bins that go through the x-ray machine. Did not have any problem last year on the Veendam out of Tampa. I plan on taking it on my Maasdam cruise out of Auckland NZ next January.

To be honest, my EDC knife is a Kershaw 3650 or a Spyderco Delica but they are left home on vacations for the more accepted Swiss Army Camper.

In looking at HAL's list of prohibited items, they limited the blade to 2.5" in length and 1/2" at its widest point most likely to keep knives brought on board to something like the Swiss Army.....

Since I too feel nekkid without some sort of knife, I had to ask

USN59-79

I read last year that TSA was going to relax security and allow you to carry a small pocket knife on board a plane. Whatever happened to that?

The TSA did relax this standard; however, they did it without consulting the airline unions and the pilots and flight attendants were not the least bit happy with this decision. Not unreasonable IMO given the damage a person armed with a box cutter was able to inflict. TSA quickly backed away from the issue and the regulations stand as before.

I always carry my swiss army knife. The sharpened part of the blade is 1.25 inches the overall length of the closed knife is 2.25 inches. It has the scissors and tweezers and such. I put it in my checked luggage and when the luggage arrives, it goes in my front pocket. I carry it when I go on shore and when going through security to reboard I place it in the bins that go through the x-ray machine. Did not have any problem last year on the Veendam out of Tampa. I plan on taking it on my Maasdam cruise out of Auckland NZ next January.

very interesting. My husband has had his small knife taken from him when he had it in his pocket returning from an excursion. He does have it in his check luggage but does not take it out of our cabin. They did return the knife at the end of the voyage as we departed the ship.