Frogs Balls -- Red Frog Pub

FTLCruiseGal

Does anyone have the recipe for the frogs balls served in Red Frog pub? I know that they are pigeon peas, but I am wondering if they are fried or baked. Also wondering what the seasoning is. Became addicted and must have them! Thanks.

I don't have the exact recipe but I'll ask on Sunday when I board the Magic.

If I remember they soak the pigeon peas in a jerk seasoning broth, drain them then put a light egg white batter on them and deep fry. I think they would be good soaked in crab boil with a little extra hot pepper sauce then battered with a tempura before frying.

I don't have the exact recipe but I'll ask on Sunday when I board the Magic.

If I remember they soak the pigeon peas in a jerk seasoning broth, drain them then put a light egg white batter on them and deep fry. I think they would be good soaked in crab boil with a little extra hot pepper sauce then battered with a tempura before frying.

That would be awesome if you would ask. I am going to try the recipe you gave me to see if it works.

Okay, so this is the third different explanation of these I have seen.

First, someone posted that they were garbanzo beans. Then someone said no, they are black beans. Now, this says pigeon peas. I'm so confused!:confused:

Hoping to sample them on my next cruise, whatever they are! :)

Okay, so this is the third different explanation of these I have seen.

First, someone posted that they were garbanzo beans. Then someone said no, they are black beans. Now, this says pigeon peas. I'm so confused!:confused:

Hoping to sample them on my next cruise, whatever they are! :)

This is the first I've heard of them, but they sound delicious, and I can't wait to try them either!

And pigeon peas are???? Made from pigeons? I'm not interested in getting bird flu.

There was a link higher up on thread, and it's an easy google.

I thought I knew pretty much about legumes, but this was a new one.

Edited by crzndeb

Google and Wikipedia will explain what pigeon peas are. Garbanzo beans are too big, so I know they are pigeon peas. There is actually a very popular dish made in the Dominican Republic that is made with pigeon peas. I can't wait to try making my own!

• 10 months later...

Pigeon peas have a richer, smoky flavor. FTLCruiseGal mentioned a Dominican dish, we make a coconut rice / pigeon pea dish that's delicious, really a meal in itself. Wish we had tried the Frog's Balls in the RF Pub. :)

There is no charge for them. They used to be brought to you as soon as you sat in the Red Frog Pub. I don't know what caused the change, but now you have to ask for them.

I have found a recipe on-line for deep fried black eyed peas; am going to substitute with pigeon peas to see if it turns out the same. Looks like it may.