Astronomy cruise

bobbisailsolo

We were on a Coastal cruise that had people with an Astronomy group, maybe 25 people or so. They were from English speaking countries and I often spoke with a few of them. We, of course, couldn't attend their lectures but from what I gathered their lectures were very basic astronomy and they saw the same Northern Lights we saw... so it wouldn't have been worth it me but maybe to others... I didn't see telescopes set up, I guess it doesn't work well on the ship? Although they did have some nice camera set-ups. I'm sure the lectures were interesting but it's a personal choice if it's worth it to you. I'd check TripAdvisor for reviews. Happy planning. m--

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone done this? My Mar2 cruise has gone down in price, and wondering if I should book the astronomy portion as well. Are the lectures worth $500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I assume it's the Hurtigruten UK organised Astronomy Voyage that you're being offered, I know there are other organised by other national Offices (eg German). I've been on these in the past on MS Midnatsol.

It is not only the lectures that are included but also a specially organised excursion in Tromso with a visit to the Nordnorsk Vitensenter with a bespoke (I think) "show" at their Planetarium.

I would say the lectures are of interest to anyone with an interest in the Aurora and/or generally in astronomy. The "lecturers" also host meetings on the (large open) aft deck each evening and point out/discuss aurora and other celestial sights visible. From memory there were about 8 lectures.

There tends to be quite a social aspect as well, with the Astronomy "group" eating together. There can be up to about 90 in a group but sometimes much less.

Hope this is helpful.

Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

PS Cable car in Tromso (in my view one of best options when visiting Tromso) is currently being renovated and not reopening until Fen/Mar: http://www.fjellheisen.no/en/

• 1 year later...
Hi,

I assume it's the Hurtigruten UK organised Astronomy Voyage that you're being offered, I know there are other organised by other national Offices (eg German). I've been on these in the past on MS Midnatsol.

It is not only the lectures that are included but also a specially organised excursion in Tromso with a visit to the Nordnorsk Vitensenter with a bespoke (I think) "show" at their Planetarium.

I would say the lectures are of interest to anyone with an interest in the Aurora and/or generally in astronomy. The "lecturers" also host meetings on the (large open) aft deck each evening and point out/discuss aurora and other celestial sights visible. From memory there were about 8 lectures.

There tends to be quite a social aspect as well, with the Astronomy "group" eating together. There can be up to about 90 in a group but sometimes much less.

Hope this is helpful.

Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

PS Cable car in Tromso (in my view one of best options when visiting Tromso) is currently being renovated and not reopening until Fen/Mar: http://www.fjellheisen.no/en/

Thanks very much for this information.

We will probably be taking our first Hurtigruten cruise next year (March, 2018), and it will be on the Trollfjord with the Astronomy package.

It's always difficult to predict with things like this whether it will be worthwhile. However, in this case, this area is the key reason we are heading out this way.

And yes, we'll be keeping our fingers crossed that there are some lights that are a bit more than a vague glow far off. It should be a great adventure, no matter what.

I'm trying to read through a bunch of old Hurtigruten threads to learn more about "the good, the bad, and the ugly", etc., in advance.