Waitlisted/Guarantee Cabin Any Experience

PatriciaF

We are waitlisted for a V2 cabin. The Viking reservation agent said as we are past (and recent) Viking river cruise passengers we had a good chance for an upgrade.

Does anyone have any experience on this? Last time I tried the guarantee game--I got the cabin I paid for (mini-suite on Princess)--

I am dreaming that I will get a DV cabin or higher? That I will know what cabin before we leave for the cruise?

I am curious as to how you get on a waitlist. Did you purchase one class of cabin and then call and ask specifically about the possibility of upgrades? I've never seen a guarantee cabin offered by Viking Ocean, not on travel agent sites or theirs.

I am curious as to how you get on a waitlist. Did you purchase one class of cabin and then call and ask specifically about the possibility of upgrades? I've never seen a guarantee cabin offered by Viking Ocean, not on travel agent sites or theirs.

I called Viking to book a great deal I got in an email. I was told there were no cabins to assign but would be assigned before sailing.

I called Viking to book a great deal I got in an email. I was told there were no cabins to assign but would be assigned before sailing.

Call me crazy but if there are no cabins to assign what happens if none open up?? When is this cruise??

Call me crazy but if there are no cabins to assign what happens if none open up?? When is this cruise??

There may be cabins the cruise line holds back and you can't see them.

Most cruise lines will have move over offers to free up cabins.

If there are not enough takers then the cruise line sweetens the deal.

Usually for some one to give up that cruise and take another cruise at a different time with extra OBC and a refund of the original cruise payment etc.

Nobody gets bumped unless they want to.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Also remember that some cruises could be part of a longer cruise. I didnt notice which cruise this was but we have the same GTY room when we booked the Romantic Med cruise, which is half of the Grand Med cruise.

Also remember that some cruises could be part of a longer cruise. I didnt notice which cruise this was but we have the same GTY room when we booked the Romantic Med cruise, which is half of the Grand Med cruise.

Wishing both of us great upgrades.

We are on the Empires of the Mediterranean.

I'm in the same boat here (see what i did there? ha!). We booked a "guaranteed" cabin. Since we are totally okay with the lowest stateroom category, better than okay really, it was more of a bonus to have the chance for an upgrade. But if we just get the room we paid for, it'll still be amazing :) I'm sailing the Romantic Mediterranean in Jan.

Good luck and let us know if you actually got that upgrade or not!

Thanks--the big sale that got us on this cruise (along with friends that I sent it to) ends 7/21--so perhaps a week after that--but it does say that we may not know until we get to the pier.

We too are okay with the V2 cabin that we paid for--we looked at the prices for the V6--and felt that the amenities were not worth another $400 or so each.

I believe that the 'Guarantee' is somewhat new to Viking Ocean, but I know that other cruise lines do it by essentially overbooking the lowest class of cabin to attract people to the cruise knowing that some will have to be placed in higher level cabins. It is a way of offering discounts for the higher levels without having to advertise as such. Right now I think you would have to ask for it directly with Viking or get your TA to do it for you. We recently did that for an 'Empires' cruise on the Sea only a month and a half before departure in mid-July. Our travel document arrived about a week ago, still showing "GTY", but the next day I went to MYVIKINGJOURNEY and found that we had been assigned a DV4 cabin. Note that one disadvantage is that you cannot start booking your excursions, dining, etc. until your cabin has been assigned. Based on our experience, that is is small price to pay for the fare savings.

We had the same thing happen. The cruise we're booked on had nothing available in our category. Because we were good customers of Viking we were told that we would be assigned a cabin. Whether we get an upgrade or someone else in our category gets the upgrade we don't care. As long as we have a cabin we'll be happy. We're on the November 20 Viking Sea cruise out of Rome ending in Athens.

• 4 months later...

We have a guaranteed cabin for the sea on the February 2018 Caribbean sailing. The Viking representative Tony recommended it. Since I also got the silver spirit back age, I didn't care about the mini bar. We always take a sandals butler vacation this time of year but we've never been to South America. So if I get an upgrade, great, if not ok, I'll see if I like the veranda

• 6 months later...
We are waitlisted for a V2 cabin. The Viking reservation agent said as we are past (and recent) Viking river cruise passengers we had a good chance for an upgrade.

Does anyone have any experience on this? Last time I tried the guarantee game--I got the cabin I paid for (mini-suite on Princess)--

I am dreaming that I will get a DV cabin or higher? That I will know what cabin before we leave for the cruise?

Did you get your upgrade?? I haven't heard of anyone given one by Viking. Im hoping to get one on the Homeland cruise 7/15! I've been told that all the verandas have sold so I could get a penthouse--wow! Should I not get my hopes up??

I'm in the same boat here (see what i did there? ha!). We booked a "guaranteed" cabin. Since we are totally okay with the lowest stateroom category, better than okay really, it was more of a bonus to have the chance for an upgrade. But if we just get the room we paid for, it'll still be amazing :) I'm sailing the Romantic Mediterranean in Jan.

Good luck and let us know if you actually got that upgrade or not!

Did you get an upgrade? We also have a guaranteed cabin with hopes for an upgrade!

We had the same thing happen. The cruise we're booked on had nothing available in our category. Because we were good customers of Viking we were told that we would be assigned a cabin. Whether we get an upgrade or someone else in our category gets the upgrade we don't care. As long as we have a cabin we'll be happy. We're on the November 20 Viking Sea cruise out of Rome ending in Athens.

Did you receive an upgrade? I havent heard of anyone who received one. We have a guaranteed cabin and are hoping to see what a higher up cabin offers. We were told that the Viking Penthouse is a good possibility since the verandas have sold out. If we get one and love it, we may have to take the plunge on our next cruise and move up!! :cool:

Did you receive an upgrade? I havent heard of anyone who received one. We have a guaranteed cabin and are hoping to see what a higher up cabin offers. We were told that the Viking Penthouse is a good possibility since the verandas have sold out. If we get one and love it, we may have to take the plunge on our next cruise and move up!! :cool:

We booked a guarantee V2 on our cruise and we got a Penthouse balcony on the 6th floor. The extra room an storage was great,the bottle of champagne was nice too

You can only GTY rooms which are V1, V2 and DV6 which are located on Deck 3. We did the GTY V1 this year on the Viking Sea and were lucky to get a DV4 room. We booked the Viking Star for next year and took a V2 GTY room and hope we are lucky again (this will be our 4th and will again be for a special occasion) since there were no V1 rooms left.

Now that I've read this thread, I'm getting excited about our V1 GTY on the Sky next summer. We'll be happy with whatever we get. Being that we've only enjoyed a balcony cabin a couple of times, just having a balcony is a perk. But now I'll dream about the possibility of getting that upgrade! It is a special anniversary cruise for us, so that would be extra special.

It seems like everyone who has reported back got some sort of upgrade. Are there people who have gotten just what they were guaranteed?

Yes, we went from a V1 to a DV5. Friend's we were sailing with had an assigned V2 and were upgraded to a DV5 also. We were both past Viking River cruisers. We did not know our cabin assignment until we got to the pier.

I am in New Zealand and I have never seen a guaranteed cabin advertised. We have too book through the Australian office. I have only seen wait listed cabins, and I enquired about these but the answer was that there was not a list????