Handicap scooters on ship

I found two phone numbers on line to rent a scooter and have it delivered to the ship. We are going on the Harmony of the Seas shortly and feel it maybe to much walking for me. My question is what do people do with the scooters when not using them at night?

I found two phone numbers on line to rent a scooter and have it delivered to the ship. We are going on the Harmony of the Seas shortly and feel it maybe to much walking for me. My question is what do people do with the scooters when not using them at night?

They should be stored in your stateroom.

How and where would they fit ?

They fit fine in an accessible stateroom. People have reported being able to put certain models in non-accessible staterooms if they are narrow enough to get through the stateroom door.

We rented one for my mother in law last year, it was delivered to and picked up from our stateroom. It was a very easy transaction. On a side note, I have use a scooter on occasion due to worsening M.S. and I had a ball driving it around the room (Royal suite).

My husband needs a scooter and we always have to book an accessible room.

But I have heard there are small lightweight scooters that can be taken apart to get into the cabin. The ship will not let you leave the scooter overnight in the hall.

While some scooters will fit through a non-accessible door if you take the armrests off, be advised that with most non-accessible cabins, once in the cabin it is impossible to turn the scooter around, and also it becomes very difficult to maneuver around the scooter. This last is a serious safety concern, just as much as parking the scooter in the passageway (which is forbidden by SOLAS), since if there is an emergency in the middle of the night, you might not be able to fight your way around the scooter.

they MUST be stored inside the stateroom. they may not be left in any public area or hallway.

most staterooms cannot fit one inside at all, or if they do fit( sometimes by removing the arms of the scooter) you are left with zero room in the cabin to move about. if you will have a scooter you will need to book a HA cabin.

I'm currently on Liberty and the room a couple of doors down leave their scooter out in the hallway. When I get close to it, I know my room is right ahead!

After knee surgery a year ago, I rented a scooter and too was told to keep it in the stateroom. We were in a JS so there was room.

I'm currently on Liberty and the room a couple of doors down leave their scooter out in the hallway. When I get close to it, I know my room is right ahead!

After knee surgery a year ago, I rented a scooter and too was told to keep it in the stateroom. We were in a JS so there was room.

They shouldn't be leaving it in the hall. Another reason blocks hall person with walker or another scooter can't get by.

While some scooters will fit through a non-accessible door if you take the armrests off, be advised that with most non-accessible cabins, once in the cabin it is impossible to turn the scooter around, and also it becomes very difficult to maneuver around the scooter. This last is a serious safety concern, just as much as parking the scooter in the passageway (which is forbidden by SOLAS), since if there is an emergency in the middle of the night, you might not be able to fight your way around the scooter.

Would you please tell me where to find the SOLAS regulation which forbids parking scooters in passageways. I have searched SOLAS regulations on Google and I was not able to find this information. I would like to print it and take it with me on future cruises. I too have an issue with blocking passageways as I feel it is a threat to my safety. Have been on cruises where it looked like a parking lot on our deck.

I totally understand the need for the scooters as I use one when shopping but there needs to be a way to safely park them on ships without blocking the hallways.

Thanks for all of your informative posts. I enjoy reading them and have learned a lot from your valuable trove on information. Keep up the good work.

My wife cannot walk very far without resting. I bought her a Solax Transformer. It is a great travel scooter. It folds up with the push of a button to the size of a medium sized suitcase. No problem in any size cabin. We can also take it on the plane and put it in the bottom of one of the closets on there. We have taken it on 4 cruises now and she loves it! We even took it to New York City before our Anthem cruise and it was great for our sightseeing.

You also might want to ask your questions on the Disabled Travelers thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Edited by staggr

Uggggg, so many replies, from People who never use them. Amazing.

Here is what I know from using scooters on and off for my wife. Scooters come in many sizes and most people who use a scooter will not use the scooter 100% of the time. They are mostly as a helping tool for long walks, etc.

Scooters are not permitted in the hallway plus you can't charge them in the hallway. Some rentals, they allow them, but it is very uncommon to see it permitted. It's just common sense that they would be in the way.

Some scooters are designed and can fit in a cabin. They do get in the way, but for a disabled person, that is not full time, this is a minor problem. I trip over it, just like I trip over the coffee table. A person on a scooter does not need to drive in the room. Scooters are not wheelchairs and are used as an aid and not as a necessity.

Many scooters can be easily disassembled. Mine needs to be "cut in half" with two bolts, and I have to manhandle it for my wife. But we only use it in Port! On the ship, she walks with two canes.

Our old one, fit in the doorway just fine.

If you can't put it in the room, they will store it for you and deliver it if you need it for ports. It depends on the ship how this is handled. I would rather not do it, but it is available.

JS and handicap rooms have doors big enough.

My recommendation is to buy a $800 scooter and use it when needed in life and make sure you have the dimensions. Do not buy from a medical supply place, because prices are jacked up. Buy from regular stores, and you can find it on line often.

Would you please tell me where to find the SOLAS regulation which forbids parking scooters in passageways. I have searched SOLAS regulations on Google and I was not able to find this information. I would like to print it and take it with me on future cruises. I too have an issue with blocking passageways as I feel it is a threat to my safety. Have been on cruises where it looked like a parking lot on our deck.

I totally understand the need for the scooters as I use one when shopping but there needs to be a way to safely park them on ships without blocking the hallways.

Thanks for all of your informative posts. I enjoy reading them and have learned a lot from your valuable trove on information. Keep up the good work.

SOLAS Part I, Chapter II-2, Part D, Regulation 13, 1.2 states:

"escape routes shall be maintained in a safe condition, clear of obstacles" (bolding mine). By definition the passageways on the ship are escape routes.

Further definitions of escape route requirements are found in the International Fire Safety Systems Code.

Can you make out with one of the rolling walkers that have a seat built in and fold up flat?

If you can get by with a rollator, also take a look at this one. My husband has this one and loves it, especially when cruising. He can zip around the ship very efficiently and the larger wheels make for easy access on shore when encountering cobblestones or rough terraine. It comes in 3 heights, folds in half in three seconds and is super lightweight.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Nitro-Rollator-Walker/dp/B00CAYLSUK?th=1

"escape routes shall be maintained in a safe condition, clear of obstacles" (bolding mine). By definition the passageways on the ship are escape routes.

Further definitions of escape route requirements are found in the International Fire Safety Systems Code.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Happy Sails to You.

There is a current thread Oasis review where apparently there were many scooters in hallways. I believe it was 11/27 sailing. Where we had the issue was on Enchantment in 2012 when we were traveling with a 90 year old friend who had just had surgery and had mobility issues but did not need wheelchair or scooter, just unobstructed hallways.

If you can get by with a rollator, also take a look at this one. My husband has this one and loves it, especially when cruising. He can zip around the ship very efficiently and the larger wheels make for easy access on shore when encountering cobblestones or rough terraine. It comes in 3 heights, folds in half in three seconds and is super lightweight.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Nitro-Rollator-Walker/dp/B00CAYLSUK?th=1

Rollators are awesome. We have 2, one with very large wheels and one with large wheels. I plan to take one to Bay Hill Golf Tournament in March for use getting around golf course.

We did not book a handicap cabin because I m not that bad. Just can't walk long distance. We have a Central Park Balcony cabin

I've seen people on Oasis and Allure leave them in the hallways, not ideal, but I have seen it done.

Important information for anyone renting a mobility scooter from either http://www.CareVacations.com or http://www.SpecialNeedsatseas.com

The rental company has the sole decision as to what type of scooter is needed. If the individual requires a standard or bariatric scooter due to weight capacity than an Accessible Cabin is required as a standard or bariatric scooter will not fit through the door of a non-accessible cruise cabin. Criteria for cost and type of scooter required is as follows:

• Height and weight of end user
  • Embarkation Port
  • Disembarkation Port
  • Number of rental days
  • If insurance for loss or damage is purchased
  • Type of scooter required to accommodate the weight of the end user

Embarkation Day: The rental scooter will be deliver to the cabin on embarkation day and must be left in the cabin on disembarkation day. If you use the cruise lines wheelchair assistance on embarkation day note that you will be dropped off in a public area and not taken directly to your cabin . Once cabins are available to passengers someone from your party will have to go to the cabin to get the scooter if you're unable to make the walk. The scooter rental contract states that the scooter will not be delivered until 2:00 PM . However it's important to note that rental equipment delivered to the ship is not given priority loading by the cruise line as ships supplies take precedent. Therefore the scooter might not appear in the cabin until closer to the sailing time though it was deliver to the port by 2:00 PM.

Disembarkation Day: The rental scooter must be left in the cabin on disembarkation day. The cruise line will not provide wheelchair assistance/pickup from the cabin. The night before a location for wheelchair assistance for disembarkation will be published in the daily cruise newsletter. You can ride the scooter to that location but than someone from your group must than take the scooter back to cabin for pickup from the rental company.

Other important info

• If you have not booked an accessible cabin than depending on the type of scooter required due to weight capacity it may not fit through the stateroom door. All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS (Safety of Life at Seas) regulations, it cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area. Ignoring these regulations can and does impede the safety of others whether disabled or abled bodied moving about the hallways not to mention impedes the safety of all on board the ship in the event of an actual emergency. Even if the cabin attendant tells you it's Ok it's NOT ! I for one will contact the ships security to have the scooter removed if one is observed left in the hallway.

• After you obtained the scooter you should go to the dining room to check the location of your assigned table if traditional dining has been chosen. Reason you need to check that there is a good path to drive the scooter to the table. Once at the table you can transfer to a chair and the wait staff will than park the scooter in area that will not hinder others in the dining room. If there's an issue than go to the Matre'D and request a change in table location.

• Scooter keys are not unique as car keys. Scooter keys are universal and a scooter can easily be mistaken. Therefore I suggest you bring an extra luggage tag for the scooter to identify your rental scooter.

• The most common scooters rented by SpecialNeedsatSeas and or CareVacations are the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler or the Pride Go Go Sport which both have a very low under clearance of 1.5". Therefore it's not unusual that the scooter will get hung up on the gangway joints. Under no circumstance should you allow the ship personnel to force push the scooter over the joints which is their first reactive response. The scooter needs to be placed in freewheel mode and than rolled over the joints. If you aren't able to walk down/up the gangway than a person from the ship's crew must guide the scooter up/down the ramp while another pushes the scooter up/down the ramp while. If you're able to walk up/down the ramp it's recommended that you do so while the scooter is than freewheeled pulled up/down the ramp. If the scooter isn't placed in freewheel and the crew force pushes the scooter over the gangway joints the scooter can be permanently damaged and since it's a rental you will be responsible for the repair costs or possibly the complete replacement cost.

• If there are any tendered ports you will only be permitted onto the tender if the tender has roll-on capabilities. Also note regardless of whether it's a docked or tendered port the Captain has the discretion to not allow wheelchairs and scooters from exiting the ship as safety of the passengers is always the utmost concern.

• The scooter does not stop a dime. It has a rolling stop. The slower the speed prior to stopping the shorter the roll. The faster the speed the longer the roll. Therefore you need to always be aware of this so as not to run into other passengers and or objects.

• you may encounter thresholds going to and coming from an outside deck that the scooter can get hung up on which makes it difficult to clear. You at times will have to scout out other routes that have a better leveled doorway threshold.

• Elevators will also be an issue with scooters as able-bodied passengers will just jump in front of you to get into the elevator first no matter that you were there first. It's not just kids. I have found that adults are often worse than the lids on-board. At peak times you're best to take the elevator that's further from your destination as it will be less congested.

• Get on the first elevator that has open space for the scooter regardless if it's going the opposite direction of what you want. What goes up must come down and vice versa.

• Arrive at the muster drill early to avoid all the crowds getting onto elevators.

• It's recommended that you remain at the muster drill location for at least 15 minutes if not more after it's ended to avoid the congestion at the elevator. It will be impossible to get onto an elevator until the crowds have cleared.

• Expect that there will be obstacles such as room service carts as well as inconsiderate passengers that have intentionally left their wheelchairs, scooters , other mobility equipment as well as baby strollers in the hallway of where you cabin is located. For any mobility equipment left in the hallway which blocks you passage don't think twice about calling the ships security to have it removed immediately . As far as the room service cart there's usually a cabin steward nearby so just yell out for assistance and it will be repositioned so you can pass .

• If you don't intend to go on excursions than suggest you wait to get off the ship until the masses have gone. Reason being that security and gangway personnel generally have to shut down the process to make certain you get off safely with scooter. Other passengers waiting in line get restless particularly if they're on a time restriction to meet up with an excursion.

For the record I am a person that has to use a mobility scooter when cruising.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thank you for posting the SOLAS regulation. Like others, we've seen scooters stored in the hallway on many cruises. If it's a violation...and hazard....I'm curious why it's allowed?