Another pre cruise hotel question

emskuz1129

Traveling to NO for the first time ! [emoji846] I've read through almost all the forums regarding hotels pre-cruise, But none really fit my description. I need a precruise hotel for two nights (fri and sat)for next January...it's got to be kid friendly/safe/Clean, i'd like it close to the French quarter or at least on the streetcar route. Some other bonuses would be included breakfast, parking while on our cruise and shuttle to the cruise port but those three things aren't a necessity. Financially I'd like to stick under 160 a night....is there a hotel that fits this description??? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My suggestion would be:

Hampton Inn on Carondelet Street

LaQuinta Inn on Camp Street

Marriott Courtyard on St. Charles Avenue

I've stayed in all three and they are clean, comfortable, and convenient to the French Quarter. I'm not sure any will meet your price point for the period in question, but they would be my choices.

Actually my first choice would be the International House Hotel, but it won;t include breakfast and would almost certainly bust your budget.

Thank you! My other question was what your thoughts were on the Garden District? Is it easy to take the streetcar to the French quarter?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I grew up in New Orleans, so my answer is from a local resident perspective, not a tourist. I love the Garden District/Uptown, but find it not at all convenient to the French Quarter. I find it difficult to get from one area to the other, even using the Streetcar. I always ask visitors what they want to see, and if they want to spend more time in the Quarter, then i makes more sense to stay closer. If you want to see other areas of the City, it makes more sense to stay outside the French Quarter.

The hotels I suggested in my first post are outside the French Quarter, but only a few blocks away. They're in the CBD section of the City and are handy to the French Quarter and the Uptown Streetcar line -- in fact the hotels on Carondelet Street and St. Charles Avenue are ON the Streetcar line.

I would recommend not staying in the Garden District if what you want to do is all Downtown or in the French Quarter, but that's just my local perspective. Sometimes the money saved by staying further away is lost in time and transport to the areas you really want to be in.

I am currently booked at the Monteleone pre cruise and also. post cruise although I also have reservations at the Royal Sonesta post cruise and would like your opinion which hotel should we stay at post cruise and why? Thank you.

Location from the port it's much or a muchness as to which one you stay. The Royal Sonesta is on Bourbon Street, which can get a bit loud and raucous at night. But it's a lovely hotel and the soundproofing in the rooms is very good.

It's really a toss up between those two hotels to me.

LOL yes it sure is a toss up.....lol......The pre cruise we definitely are staying at the Monteleone as its a busy Saturday night on Bourbon, but the post cruise is Sunday don't think it be as bad than Friday and Saturday evenings, I guess I just keep both reservations for now in hopes of reading other reviews. thank you

Ellieanne, we are booked at the Holiday Inn New Orleans Superdome. Is that close to the French Quarter? I read reviews that indicate it is a good location but I would love your opinion. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My own personal opinion is the Holiday Inn Superdome in an area of the CBD more focused on business & governments than hotels in other areas of the CBD, so there will be fewer people around in the dark. That's the only reason I'd hesitate recommending that hotel for tourists who are thinking of spending time in the Quarter in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...
I am currently booked at the Monteleone pre cruise and also. post cruise although I also have reservations at the Royal Sonesta post cruise and would like your opinion which hotel should we stay at post cruise and why? Thank you.

Have stayed at both. Noise was not a problem at the Royal Sonesta and my wife is a light sleeper. We prefer the Monteleone still very convenient to Bourbon and to us just a much cooler hotel more ambience especially with the carousel bar. Also, service seemed a little better at the Monteleone, We now only stay at the Monteleone.

• 1 month later...

Your Room Information: 1 KING PREMIUM STUDIO CTYD

Rooms: 1Guests: 2 Adults, 2 ChildrenCheck In: Jul 07 4:00 PMCheck Out: Jul 09 11:00 AM Your Plan Information: SENIOR RATE

Rate per night : 122.55 USD Total for Stay per Room Rate: 245.10 USDTaxes: 40.60 USDTotal: 285.70 USD Total for Stay : 285.70 USDJust booked the brand new Homewood Suites on Rampart, .06 miles to French Quarter