Braemar 10th April with Disabled Mum - Advice please

Marley-Bop

Hi

Me and my sister booked Braemar, Norwegian Fjords, 10th April as a bucket list cruise for our elderly Mum. Due to delays/lack of hospital beds, she has only recently had a total knee replacement (should have been done in November) and is really struggling with walking so we asked about bringing a lightweight wheelchair on-board. We didn't realise that there was only a certain amount of wheelchairs/scooters allowed on each cruise and unfortunately these spaces were already full so she will have to reply on a walking frame which I honestly cant see that working out very well. They have allowed us to take the portable wheelchair on-board which will be kept in a storage area for use onshore only.

Can anyone advise if we will be able to use the portable wheelchair to get her on-board and then do they take it away from us and if there are any tips that might help with travelling with an elderly/disabled family member?

Many thanks

Angie

Questions like that would need to be posed to Fred Olsen and I suggest you do try to get an answer in writing for safeguard.

Are you sure you really want to go ahead with the cruise under those circumstances? If you view is that you "cant see that working out very well", and given that the seas could be rough making it difficult for anyone to walk upright, I think I would be thinking of postponing the cruise to a later date. If she sustains an injury, that could give her mobility issues for a long time to come. At best her (and your) enjoyment of the cruise will be affected - sounds like you are somewhat worried already.

Has she, or you, spoken to her doctor to ask for his/her opinion? If they do not advise going, then her medical insurance will not pay up if needed and there can be some very high medical bills on board ships - if air evacuation is needed that would cost many thousands of pounds.

A letter from Fred saying they cannot allow a wheelchair for on board use may well help you claim on your insurance - may even be worth asking Fred if they will allow a delayed date for the cruise under the circumstances (though it would not normally be allowed - they always have restricted the number of wheelchairs on board and presumably have that well documented in their T&C's).

Hope all goes well for you and your mum, whatever you decide.

Edited by tring

Thanks for replying Tring

Her doctor has said that she is fit enough for travel and hopes that the upcoming cruise will give her the incentive to work hard on her physio in the next two weeks. We have also advised her insurance company of all of her known medical conditions and are paying a high premium but its worth it for peace of mind.

She does also have early stages of vascular dementia and needs motivation for everyday things that's why going on this bucket list cruise is important not only for her but for me and my sister as well.

I hope that we can use the wheelchair or get assistance for boarding and thankfully the cruise is not port intensive so slowly with a walking frame we can get her up on an open deck, wrap her up warm and she can take in the beautiful sights of Norway.

Angie

I am sure you will be able to get wheelchair assistance for boarding. They always have this at embarkation terminals for all cruise lines, I suspect provided by the terminal authorities. Just look for the disabled line. No personal experience, but if you turn up with her in her own wheelchair, I expect they will wheel her on in it and then take it away to store until the first port of call. You will obviously have to establish how to get hold of it there.

Sorry I was sounding somewhat negative regards your cruise, but glad you are well covered.

On a more positive note I found the following on Fred's website which may be of use to you:-

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/before-you-cruise/Travel-information/Disability-and-Reduced-Mobility/Disability-and-Reduced-Mobility

Hope you enjoy the cruise and the weather is good. We have often done very well in Norway, during the spring.

As someone who has also recently had a knee replacement I can sympathise with your problem. Obviously your mother has additional health problems which I do not which must make it difficult for you. I have been having physio twice a week after an intensive programme of physio when I left hospital. If there is any way you can encourage your mother to do what the physio advises it will make the recovery quicker. I am sure Fred Olsen will allow your mother to board in her wheelchair and as you say much of the scenery will be visible from the ship without her even going ashore. When we went to the Fjords a few years ago we were up early, wrapped up warm with hot drink, watching the amazing scenery pass by. It is truly beautiful and I'm sure your mother will enjoy herself. Good Luck.

As someone who has also recently had a knee replacement I can sympathise with your problem. Obviously your mother has additional health problems which I do not which must make it difficult for you. I have been having physio twice a week after an intensive programme of physio when I left hospital. If there is any way you can encourage your mother to do what the physio advises it will make the recovery quicker. I am sure Fred Olsen will allow your mother to board in her wheelchair and as you say much of the scenery will be visible from the ship without her even going ashore. When we went to the Fjords a few years ago we were up early, wrapped up warm with hot drink, watching the amazing scenery pass by. It is truly beautiful and I'm sure your mother will enjoy herself. Good Luck.

Thank you so much, if we can get over the hurdles of actually getting her onboard, im sure she will be ok and love every minute of it.

Angie

As far as I know Fred gives priority check in and boarding to disabled passengers, so worth getting to the port at a good time, though there could still be a wait. For one recent cruise I remember sitting near the disabled passengers at the terminal and they were boarded before the suite passengers and Gold Oceans, if I remember correctly. The port staff were bringing wheelchairs and using them to board people who needed them, but were not sitting in their own wheelchair. I see you cruise goes from Southampton, so they will have a well practised system and, of course, the boarding gangway with a slope, rather than steps. In case you have not done a Fred cruise before, he does not start boarding until after 2pm and the first meal on board is afternoon tea rather than lunch.

Other ports may be more of a problem, but as you say she will gain a lot even if she does not get off at the ports and you and your sister could go off at different times to leave someone with mum.

• 3 weeks later...

Last time we sailed from Southampton with Fred we were allowed to use our own wheelchair to get on board but it was then immediately taken off us and stored till we needed it in port. Each person with their own wheelchair was given a coloured tag, one colour for those who could keep their wheelchair on board and a different colour for those with wheelchairs that were to be stored. Wheelchair users were allowed on first.