Wellington Cable Car - prepurchase ticket?

I saw on the Wellington cable car web site that the ticket can be pre-purchased online.

What would be the advantage of pre-purchasing? Would it put us in a different (faster?) line to enter, ahead of those arriving before us who are needing to purchase a ticket? :confused:

The advantage would be very minimal. It's true that the Cable Car is often very busy on cruise ship days, so the best tip is to make it the last thing you do in your day. Peak time is usually 0930-1130 if it's a 2000pax plus ship, and then it quietens in the afternoon. I use the Cable Car to go home most days, and I haven't seen a separate queuing system in operation. The journey itself only takes 5-7 minutes, so consider heading onto Zealandia, visiting Carter Observatory and walking through the Botanic Gardens while you're up there.

The advantage would be very minimal. It's true that the Cable Car is often very busy on cruise ship days, so the best tip is to make it the last thing you do in your day. Peak time is usually 0930-1130 if it's a 2000pax plus ship, and then it quietens in the afternoon. I use the Cable Car to go home most days, and I haven't seen a separate queuing system in operation. The journey itself only takes 5-7 minutes, so consider heading onto Zealandia, visiting Carter Observatory and walking through the Botanic Gardens while you're up there.

Sound advice from a local. :D

We pretty much did exactly as kiwijo has suggested on our recent cruise to the region. Here is a link to my blog with a few photos of our day there.

Celebrity Solstice Postcard #9 – Wellington, New Zealand

We pretty much did exactly as kiwijo has suggested on our recent cruise to the region. Here is a link to my blog with a few photos of our day there.

Thanks Wasnbrough, for your blog, I'll be following it to find some ideas for our November cruise, appreciate it. :)

Thank you for sharing your blog. We are looking forward to cruising Australia & New Zealand on the Solstice in November.