Grandmas family trip

nanwel

Travelling March break 2018

1 Couple + 4 kids - 2 - 13, boys, 1 - 11 girl, 1- 8 boy

1 Grandma

1 single adult

8 total

Ok, help - what is the best suggestion for rooms, the 2 - 14 year old boys would like to be alone, but not sure that will work - they could be in an inside room across from our 2 Balcony rooms? Looked at suites, they seem to be very pricey and not really workable for the group we make.

I would likewise book the teen boys on an inside across the couple' stateroom. Just check with your cruise line their policy on how far from the parents/guardian can minors have their own cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which cruise line/ship? I would rather have separate cabins, instead of a suite. Give everyone a bit of "alone" space. I love my family, but not enough to share everything with them for a week!

You have enough adults to book whatever you want...you can "rearrange" the room occupants once you've boarded. It's done all the time, and no one cares...they expect it!

Travelling March break 2018

1 Couple + 4 kids - 2 - 13, boys, 1 - 11 girl, 1- 8 boy

1 Grandma

1 single adult

8 total

Ok, help - what is the best suggestion for rooms, the 2 - 14 year old boys would like to be alone, but not sure that will work - they could be in an inside room across from our 2 Balcony rooms? Looked at suites, they seem to be very pricey and not really workable for the group we make.

Balcony for parents

Inside across hall for older boys (perhaps with little brother)

Connecting balcony for Grandma and daughter (or with little brother if he isn't mature enough to be with big brothers) - does the single adult go here?

We do a balcony and put our sons in an inside across the hall. My youngest was 8, staying with his 14 yo brother when we started this arrangement; they are now 13 and 19. Zero issues - but I know my kid and he is a rule follower and when he goes to bed for the night - he puts himself there and basically tells everyone else to pack sand because he is tired and wake him for breakfast!:')

We have done this on both Princess and Carnival. It is easy to go to guest services and have extra keys made to access the kids room, and for them to access yours if you like. You do have to call directly to the cruise line if you want to book up front in this configuration - you might save a little money depending on where you actually book the 3rd and 4th by putting them in the inside - then on the ship just do the key thing....

Thanks all, still looking into this, did not plan to spend over $25,000 and so far that is what is will cost because 2 of the boys are now 13 (11 - 12 is kid still).Charge will be for 6 adults and 2 kids - ouch! (before I even look at airfair for us all).

It is a blended family so thus the same age kids.

Extra adult is my single daughter.

I will probably keep looking for a bit.

Have been on most lines before, so know the drill regarding cruising, but just did not plan for that kind of budget for this one.

Lot of $ for a week - maybe end up at Disney instead.

Thanks all, still looking into this, did not plan to spend over $25,000 and so far that is what is will cost because 2 of the boys are now 13 (11 - 12 is kid still).Charge will be for 6 adults and 2 kids - ouch! (before I even look at airfair for us all).

It is a blended family so thus the same age kids.

Extra adult is my single daughter.

I will probably keep looking for a bit.

Have been on most lines before, so know the drill regarding cruising, but just did not plan for that kind of budget for this one.

Lot of $ for a week - maybe end up at Disney instead.

Cruise lines don't have separate fares for adults and kids. The first two in the room are at one rate and additional passengers in the same room are at a different, lower rate. So, if you're only putting two in each cabin, they're all pretty much full fare. Some ships make family rooms that have some extra space and sleep 4-8, but they can also be at a premium.

$25,000 for 8 people???? Are you booking multiple suites or multiple single-person rooms?

If 2018 is too expensive, you might look at 2019 instead.

We're taking a family cruise on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas in March 2019. Three aft balconies for a total of 7 people = $7500; 3 kids in an inside room down the hall = $2400. On average, about $1k pp. I priced a two-bedroom grand suite (aft balcony), and it would have been $8500 for 7 people (and could have fit 8, if we chose - 4 kids in one bedroom, married couple in the other bedroom, grandma and adult daughter in the living room).

Would you consider a different ship that is less expensive? A different home port?

Split families, so do not have them in 2019.Daugher is teacher so must go march break.

Called the cruise RC cruise (I am gold with them) an 5 of us have sailed them before.

I can get 2 balc rooms, but that will be a snug trip with all of us. No guarantee they will let us open the balc to share. inside room for 2-3 of the kids doable if we book an an adult in the room ( will change once on board) boys do not want anyone with them.

Have a hold on 3 rooms - hoping a better rate if a sale comes up

Split families, so do not have them in 2019.Daugher is teacher so must go march break.

Called the cruise RC cruise (I am gold with them) an 5 of us have sailed them before.

I can get 2 balc rooms, but that will be a snug trip with all of us. No guarantee they will let us open the balc to share. inside room for 2-3 of the kids doable if we book an an adult in the room ( will change once on board) boys do not want anyone with them.

Have a hold on 3 rooms - hoping a better rate if a sale comes up

I'm confused, cruise lines don't charge more for adults than children. We usually spend close to $8000 for our family of 7, with 2 balcony cabins, but I think we will split into 3 the next time, with 1 or 2 insides. I don't expect our costs to jump up to $25,000 though!

And in my family, if anyone gets the luxury of only 2 in the cabin, it will be DH and I, not our 14 years olds (twins).

I think I'd book a balcony for myself and DH, inside for adult child/grandma, and an inside for the 4 kids (preferably connecting to grandmas cabin).

Grandma is paying, so I get the balcony!!!:p

Daughter is willing to pay some to also get a balcony.

If we use 3 rooms, it seems simple, but charge for 6 adults, 2 kids. or

2 rooms, 4 in each room will be crowded.

Logistics changed with new additional family members.

I would look at some other lines. Carnival for example. Even if you paid $1000 per person for a balcony (which is high on there rates) for a week, that is only $8000, say $9500 if you are including port fees and taxes. And the kids certainly don't need a balcony!

I have found in those high peak times, like spring break, Carnival's rates beat the pants off everyone. And as long as you are selecting a newer ship - Sunshine, Magic, Breeze, Dream or newer, there is plenty to entertain everyone.

Though Princess just tied Carnival with the sip and sail in December 2018...the rate was $800 total more expensive originally but the promo value wiped that off the table.:D