Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer Catamaran Excursion Right off the Ship?

KristyMisty14

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has done the excursion right off the boat at the Tracy Arm Fjord, the ones that you leave right from ship at like 7am and then they deposit you into Juneau? Just looking for reviews.... I know it's a bit more expensive that taking one of the companies that is recommended in a lot of these pots, however I am considering it due to then being able to do other things for the afternoon in Juneau.

Thanks in advance for any info =) Kristy

We’ve taken the small boat excursion numerous times and I highly recommend that you take the small boat excursion off the ship, you won’t be disappointed. The small boat excursion will get you a lot closer to the glacier.We've seen bears, goats and whales on our way back into Juneau.

Oh that's awesome, we are going in August and I wasn't sure how far the ship could get up.... I have done Glacier Bay and Hubbard on other cruises before but my spouse has never been to Alaska and I don't want him to not have that "ahhhh" moment with not seeing the Glacier really well if the ship can't get up

We did it the one time we were at Sawyer, and it is not to be missed. Well worth the money. Certainly better than taking the same tour out from Juneau.

Thanks that's awesome, I didn't know if taking a chance staying on the ship and hoping there would be good views would be enough or if I would be disappointed lol

Thanks that's awesome, I didn't know if taking a chance staying on the ship and hoping there would be good views would be enough or if I would be disappointed lol

Book the excursion! You will not regret it! You will always get closer with the small boat and the views will be superior. This is considered one of the top rated excursions in Alaska. You will not find a negative review and most say this is the favorite excursion they did.

I'm so pleased to read such positive comments about this trip. We're taking our first cruise to Alaska next month, we've booked this trip I am really looking forward to it and very much hoping for at least one ahhhh... moment.

Book the excursion! You will not regret it! You will always get closer with the small boat and the views will be superior. This is considered one of the top rated excursions in Alaska. You will not find a negative review and most say this is the favorite excursion they did.

Fantastic thanks so much for the info!

The cruise ships slows down just outside of Tracy Arm.... you are asked to get off the cruise ship in open water...... the cruise ship then leaves without you for Juneau 50 miles away.

The tiny excursion boat will head 30 miles North into Tracy Arm in search of Sawyer. Does a U turn and then heads 80 miles to Juneau in search of the mothership.

If Tracy Arm is ice filled.... Endicott is substituted....

[YOUTUBE]-0x8dcnk1TM[/YOUTUBE]

The cruise ships slows down just outside of Tracy Arm.... you are asked to get off the cruise ship in open water...... the cruise ship then leaves without you for Juneau 50 miles away.

The tiny excursion boat will head 30 miles North into Tracy Arm in search of Sawyer. Does a U turn and then heads 80 miles to Juneau in search of the mothership.

-0x8dcnk1TM

Fantastic! I love that you can get this and not miss time in Juneau. The Mothership!! So good lol

Well that’s kind of right. Every time we’ve done the small boat tour from a Princess ship we got on the Allen Marine tour boat up in Tracy Arm near Sawyer Island and continued up to Sawyer Glacier, the cruise ship turned around at Sawyer Island. As you depart the cruise ship security will scan your cruise card as you get off the ship and on to the Allen marine tour boat. When you get back to Juneau you will get back on the cruise ship and security will scan your cruise card as you get back onto the ship. We have only done the small boat tours from the Princess ships. I don’t see much sense in doing the small boat tour if the ship doesn’t get up into Tracy Arm. If the ship goes into Endicott Arm the ship will get close enough to see the Dawes glacier.

If the ship goes into Endicott Arm the ship will get close enough to see the Dawes glacier.

I have done a small boat trip with AdventureBound to Dawes Glacier/Endicott Arm and also on a Princess ship (not small boat).

I can tell you the small boat experience with AdventureBound was far superior. I can't compare the ship's excursion but I would book it again. We got into Fords Terror and really, really close to Dawes glacier! Far closer and better than when on the ship (they didn't offer a small boat then). Definitely worth it.

Well that’s kind of right. Every time we’ve done the small boat tour from a Princess ship we got on the Allen Marine tour boat up in Tracy Arm near Sawyer Island and continued up to Sawyer Glacier, the cruise ship turned around at Sawyer Island. As you depart the cruise ship security will scan your cruise card as you get off the ship and on to the Allen marine tour boat. When you get back to Juneau you will get back on the cruise ship and security will scan your cruise card as you get back onto the ship. We have only done the small boat tours from the Princess ships. I don’t see much sense in doing the small boat tour if the ship doesn’t get up into Tracy Arm. If the ship goes into Endicott Arm the ship will get close enough to see the Dawes glacier.

That's great info, thanks! I wanted to make sure it was worth it to do this and get up close and personal with the glaciers there if the ship it self doesn't (like the other areas Hubbard and Glacier Bay) didn't want to come home feeling disappointed.

We went and had a wonderful experience! There are actually two glaciers (north and south Sawyer). Totally different eco systems. We also got up very close to icy falls and felt the spray off the falls. We had a great naturalist on board and learned a lot. Eat before you go and take a snack with you. They have a snackbar but it is pricey and they sell out of the good stuff early. Our boat pulled up right next to the tender dock on the ship and we entered back onto the ship before further exploring Juneau.

We went and had a wonderful experience! There are actually two glaciers (north and south Sawyer). Totally different eco systems. We also got up very close to icy falls and felt the spray off the falls. We had a great naturalist on board and learned a lot. Eat before you go and take a snack with you. They have a snackbar but it is pricey and they sell out of the good stuff early. Our boat pulled up right next to the tender dock on the ship and we entered back onto the ship before further exploring Juneau.

When did you go?

We did this today off of the Celebrity Solstice. The Tracy Arm had too much ice for the ship to go thru so we visited the Endicott Arm.

The catamaran pick us up right off the ship and we were able to get a closer look at the Dawes Glacier which was amazing.

I highly recommend this.

We did this today off of the Celebrity Solstice. The Tracy Arm had too much ice for the ship to go thru so we visited the Endicott Arm.

The catamaran pick us up right off the ship and we were able to get a closer look at the Dawes Glacier which was amazing.

I highly recommend this.

Where did they drop you off at after the excursion? How was the embarkation and debarkation on the catamaran?