Advice please for Juneau excursions? Too many to choose.

mechaiah

Hi everyone - we are booked on HAL Eurodam to Alaska on 6/24/17 and can't wait! I am a bit overwhelmed about excursion choices in Juneau and am wondering if there are recommendations you might have. Can you tell me which ones you've done and whether you would recommend it? I think I need to narrow it down to glaciers vs whale watching vs wildlife (eagles, bears, etc.) because I'm not sure there's one excursion that does it all. I think glaciers are the top of my list but it might be that I get my fill of them on the Glacier Bay day and I should do whale watching (or something else) while in Juneau.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!

I think taking a helicopter and landing on a glacier is the most awesome experience from Juneau; but we love whale watching too. If you are going to Icy Strait Point, you could do whale watching there and glacier landing from Juneau. The Alaska ports have way too many wonderful and enjoyable things to do in just one cruise. Catch up on the missed excursions on your next Alaska cruise. If possible, do a land tour to Denali also, truly an amazing place.

Thank you! When you've done the helicopter excursion, did you spend time walking on the glacier? Or did you just fly over?

We landed on it and walked around. That is the best part. You can see photos from our landing in our review at LINK. Here is one of them.

ALAS_0401.JPG

If your ship is in port long (7:00 am to at least 7:00 pm), Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound is a great option. We saw whales, wildlife and both North and South Sawyer Glacier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I second and third this. Even if your ship gets in at 8, they will work with you!

fyi.... there are whale watch and Mendenhall combo excursions. I strongly recommending combining the two to maximize your valuable Juneau port time as they are both West of Juneau.

Alaska is the best port IMO. So much to do!

I'm pretty sure you meant Juneau. 🙂

I'm on back-to-back cruises right now on Radiance of the Seas. My Juneau tours were Adventure Bound to Tracy Arm (fabulous), and the Taku Lodge Flight and Feast - also wonderful. Since this morning was sunny, I also took the Mt. Roberts Tram up the mountain and hiked.

I'm doing my whale watching in Icy Strait Point, as there aren't as many tour options there as in Juneau.

I have done the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watching combo, and it was great. This year we're doing our whale watching at Icy Strait and panning for gold in Juneau.

Where in Juneau did you go to go panning for gold?

We're doing the HAL excursion for gold panning & salmon bake. If we're lucky there is a good chance we'll see whales cruising to & from the different ports, & in Glacier Bay we'll get a view of the glacier.

Allan

I'm pretty sure you meant Juneau. ��

I'm on back-to-back cruises right now on Radiance of the Seas. My Juneau tours were Adventure Bound to Tracy Arm (fabulous), and the Taku Lodge Flight and Feast - also wonderful. Since this morning was sunny, I also took the Mt. Roberts Tram up the mountain and hiked.

I'm doing my whale watching in Icy Strait Point, as there aren't as many tour options there as in Juneau.

Yes!!!!! Thanks for the correction!

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time!

Thank you! When you've done the helicopter excursion, did you spend time walking on the glacier? Or did you just fly over?

We landed on the glacier for about 20 minutes. GREAT experience and one you will never forget. A bit expensive however.

Also - we loved the whale watching excursion (Allen Marine via Holland America).

Have also taken the local bus (blue) to the Mendenhaul glacier - great deal, alot less than the ship's excursion.

Hi everyone - we are booked on HAL Eurodam to Alaska on 6/24/17 and can't wait! I am a bit overwhelmed about excursion choices in Juneau and am wondering if there are recommendations you might have. Can you tell me which ones you've done and whether you would recommend it? I think I need to narrow it down to glaciers vs whale watching vs wildlife (eagles, bears, etc.) because I'm not sure there's one excursion that does it all. I think glaciers are the top of my list but it might be that I get my fill of them on the Glacier Bay day and I should do whale watching (or something else) while in Juneau.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!

You can do anything you want. It all depends on how much extra money you want to spend. Lots of money, many options. Little money take the blue bus to Mendenhall Glacier and walk to Nugget Falls. What do you really want. That once in a lifetime "Wow" factor or just cheap thrills.

You just can't do it all in one cruise let alone 30 cruises. My priority on my cruise last week was seeing my first Puffin. I got it, but I had to pay extra for the tour. Well worth the money.:D

It was a private excursion with Coastal Helicopter, http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/. We have friends that will be doing the same excursion next month.

We finally decided on the 'Taku Glacier adventure by air, water and ice'. We booked it through the ship but looks like it's operated by Coastal. Now to read up on how to not get motion sickness, wish it was simply mind over matter :o

We finally decided on the 'Taku Glacier adventure by air, water and ice'. We booked it through the ship but looks like it's operated by Coastal. Now to read up on how to not get motion sickness, wish it was simply mind over matter :o

We always take ginger pills on vacations/cruises. They do a wonderful job of preventing motion sickness for us. And there are no side affects.

I also think this is one of the best excursions. Plus whale watching.

We are leaving for an Alaska cruise next week, our 3rd. We are going with friends who are going for the first time. I recommended this helicopter glacier landing and whale watching to them. I am so glad they are taking the helicopter, since it is certainly one of the most unique experiences one can do there.

We Are on the Holland America cruise set to sail on June 25th 2017. We have been informed our 'wait list' tours have been removed. Our original plan was:

Juneau- glacier sea kayaking

Sitka- Sea Otter and Wildlife quest

Ketchikan- Magnificent Misty Fjords by Floatplane

Figured this would give us the land, sea, air experience. So now I'm starting from scratch with researching outside tours. Was looking for any recommendations for outside tour companies and/or other excursions at these ports. Figured I'd ask the experts.

We Are on the Holland America cruise set to sail on June 25th 2017. We have been informed our 'wait list' tours have been removed. Our original plan was:

Juneau- glacier sea kayaking

Sitka- Sea Otter and Wildlife quest

Ketchikan- Magnificent Misty Fjords by Floatplane

Figured this would give us the land, sea, air experience. So now I'm starting from scratch with researching outside tours. Was looking for any recommendations for outside tour companies and/or other excursions at these ports. Figured I'd ask the experts.

There are lots of good suggestions for Juneau on this thread. Do some research here and on Trip Advisor for the ports and you will find lots of options. That being said, here are my recommendations and what we have done in these ports:

Juneau - If you are in port from approximately 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, I highly recommend the Tracy Arm Fjord trip with Adventure Bound. If you don't have enough time, book a whale watching excursion, see Mendenhall Glacier, ride Mt. Roberts tram and do some hiking at the top.

Sitka - We caught a shuttle to Fortress of the Bear. It was pouring rain, but the viewing area has a covered section. We had planned on stopping at the Raptor Center and walking back to town on the trail that leads to totem poles, then along the sea wall, but just took the shuttle back to town since it was raining. We did walk around town to see the Bishop's House, St.Michael's Cathedral, etc. Just realize that you will either be docked a couple of miles out of the main town and take a shuttle to town or have to tender at this port.

Ketchikan - We took a kayaking trip with Southeast Kayaks and enjoyed it. We also walked to Creek Street and did some shopping in town. There are options to see Totem Poles here that many enjoy. One of the more popular excursions on our stop here was the Deadliest Catch Crab Fishing tour. I believe you can book directly with the company and most ships offer this as well.

Juneau - If you are in port from approximately 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, I highly recommend the Tracy Arm Fjord trip with Adventure Bound. If you don't have enough time, book a whale watching excursion, see Mendenhall Glacier, ride Mt. Roberts tram and do some hiking at the top.

You can do this if you arrive at 8 am.