Cutbacks...Anymore? Additions?

skiingj

I've been a loyal cruiser with Carnival for 14 years and have around 14 cruises with them but the last couple years with all the cutbacks I've found myself trying other lines.

Last year we sailed the Vista in Europe and were disappointed. We've also sailed Allure and just of the Harmony. Although we are Platinum I find Royal has a better product overall. I just don't find Platinum giving me anything near what Royal gives its past guests and question if its really worth the few perks that you get with Platinum.

I've loved our Carnival cruises but all the cutbacks have forced me to reconsider lines. I also enjoy HAL but as many know that is a whole different experience and they still don't have walker races on lido. LOL

Anyone else turned off by the cutbacks? Anything new to Carnival that would bring me back? Thanks for you input!

IMHO I feel that every line has its downside. I could find something wrong with every one if I was asked, but I won't complain because a cruise is what you make it. I stick with Carnival because of the value, but I have sailed other lines and will continue to do so.

I like my Platinum perks, but we have a cruise booked on RCI in January. I've been reading their boards and people say the same thing about cutbacks on Royal. Funny enough, the Royal ship we are going on has a LOWER customer satisfaction number than the Carnival we are doing in 2 weeks. All lines are cutting back. You just have to decide what cutbacks you can live with. I like the low price. I cruise often. The majority of cutbacks don't bother me at all, especially when I remember how much we paid for our honeymoon 25 years ago. $700 per person for inside room 4 day to Bahamas. In May. I will take my cutbacks and cruise often!

The majority of cutbacks don't bother me at all, especially when I remember how much we paid for our honeymoon 25 years ago. $700 per person for inside room 4 day to Bahamas. In May. I will take my cutbacks and cruise often!

Wow! I've only been cruising 14 years but that is expensive. Thanks for the feedback. The last two years I've price compared Breeze vs Allure, Vista vs Harmony and Horizon vs Symphony and they all came out pretty equal around the dates we booked.

I've heard about cutbacks with other lines just disappointed with Carnival as we've sailed her the most. I wish they would put more into there loyalty program...

Still love cruising and look forward to my next one on HAL then Carnival. Its great there are so many choices.

I guess I'm the oddball here. I'd rather pay more and get a better higher end product and cruise less often. Rather than pay less and go more often. I like it to be special and feel pampered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess I'm the oddball here. I'd rather pay more and get a better higher end product and cruise less often. Rather than pay less and go more often. I like it to be special and feel pampered.

.....ok, I will bite, what makes feel pampered special?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some of the biggest whiners are on Celebrity. It seems that all they write about is cutbacks. Plus they cost more and is a "modern luxury" brand. Another time, we sailed on Holland and were upgraded to a Neptune Suite. Part of the perks was access to a lovely lounge area. A lady had a fit because she had to ask for a piece of bread for her toast. People even whine about Disney and I think DCL is a great experience.

You had me at you "were disappointed with your Vista cruise" . We were on the Vista this month and sure there were somethings done that I would have done differently but all in all it's a great ship, with all types of entertainment for everyone, excellent food, at a reasonable price. Seems like you would be one tough cookie to satisfy.

Good luck in your search for superiority.............See ya Felicia!

I've been a loyal cruiser with Carnival for 14 years and have around 14 cruises with them but the last couple years with all the cutbacks I've found myself trying other lines.

Last year we sailed the Vista in Europe and were disappointed. We've also sailed Allure and just of the Harmony. Although we are Platinum I find Royal has a better product overall. I just don't find Platinum giving me anything near what Royal gives its past guests and question if its really worth the few perks that you get with Platinum.

I've loved our Carnival cruises but all the cutbacks have forced me to reconsider lines. I also enjoy HAL but as many know that is a whole different experience and they still don't have walker races on lido. LOL

Anyone else turned off by the cutbacks? Anything new to Carnival that would bring me back? Thanks for you input!

Cutbacks and a big quality decline makes people go elsewhere.

I agree with you Moongal. Quality over quantity. And to me, cheap vacations just feel, well, cheap.

Cheap works for me. If I had gone on the pricier lines, I would have probably cut my cruises in half. Give me ocean breezes, sandy beaches and that gosh loving sound of the sea slapping on the sides of the ship and life is good.

.....ok, I will bite, what makes feel pampered special?

Well I really love having the steward come twice a day. I really loved interacting with them. I know I can still request twice a day service, and I probably will, but there will be a little piece of me that feels guilty about it (adding to a poor overworked stewards load) hence my enjoyment of it will not be the same. On my first cruise my steward seemed to have time enough to chat with me. The last one I never even saw him but first day.

I loved the tablecloths in the MDR. I don't use tablecloths at home and most places we go out to eat on land don't use them, so to me it felt "fine dining" even though in reality I know it was but an illusion.

I haven't been cruising that long but the midnight feast sounds like it would have been nice. I would have liked a chocolate on my pillow even if it was a nasty chocolate. It would have felt special.

Would have liked a lobster tail on a shorter cruise.

I do remember on my first cruise it didn't matter which deck I was sitting out on, some one would come by to take a drink order. On my last cruise, had to go to get drink myself and wait in long line. Nothing that is a deal breaker and yes I am aware I have two perfectly good legs to go walk to get myself a drink but when the drink servers came by it just felt decadent and luxurious to just sit there and be waited upon.

I'm the mom, and now also a grandmother (still have 2 teens at home though) and have spent the better part of 30 years waiting on people, cooking, cleaning etc. It is sooo nice to be waited on and that is why I am willing to pay more to get that experience.

Most Land vacations that I have ever taken weren't really that much fun if truth be told. When you factor in making sure all the kids had their things, ensuring that so n so's medicine was in the right bag, all the laundry afterwards, dealing with the inevitable kid who would always come down with something on a trip etc. The very reason I caught the cruising bug was that it seemed so luxurious!! Someone to come in and tidy the cabin 2x a day?!!! What heaven!! Anyway for myself I would definitely pay more have the luxurious feel.

If Vista in Europe didn't please you, I think you should consider staying away from Carnival, at least for a while.

WHat does Europe have to do with it, I ask because I sailed Vista both in Europe and the Caribbean?

Well I really love having the steward come twice a day. I really loved interacting with them. I know I can still request twice a day service, and I probably will, but there will be a little piece of me that feels guilty about it (adding to a poor overworked stewards load) hence my enjoyment of it will not be the same. On my first cruise my steward seemed to have time enough to chat with me. The last one I never even saw him but first day.

I loved the tablecloths in the MDR. I don't use tablecloths at home and most places we go out to eat on land don't use them, so to me it felt "fine dining" even though in reality I know it was but an illusion.

I haven't been cruising that long but the midnight feast sounds like it would have been nice. I would have liked a chocolate on my pillow even if it was a nasty chocolate. It would have felt special.

Would have liked a lobster tail on a shorter cruise.

I do remember on my first cruise it didn't matter which deck I was sitting out on, some one would come by to take a drink order. On my last cruise, had to go to get drink myself and wait in long line. Nothing that is a deal breaker and yes I am aware I have two perfectly good legs to go walk to get myself a drink but when the drink servers came by it just felt decadent and luxurious to just sit there and be waited upon.

I'm the mom, and now also a grandmother (still have 2 teens at home though) and have spent the better part of 30 years waiting on people, cooking, cleaning etc. It is sooo nice to be waited on and that is why I am willing to pay more to get that experience.

Most Land vacations that I have ever taken weren't really that much fun if truth be told. When you factor in making sure all the kids had their things, ensuring that so n so's medicine was in the right bag, all the laundry afterwards, dealing with the inevitable kid who would always come down with something on a trip etc. The very reason I caught the cruising bug was that it seemed so luxurious!! Someone to come in and tidy the cabin 2x a day?!!! What heaven!! Anyway for myself I would definitely pay more have the luxurious feel.

Nice post and well thought out, thanks for the reply. While I understand and agree with many of your thoughts, I guess I would say that interpretation, yours, or mine, or anyone as a Carnival cruiser is simply just that. I have never had reservations about cabin servicing and in fact only been asked once. We were asked morning, evening or both and we replied (actually my wife did) morning (I would have said both) and we ended up getting what I interpreted as the same service (morning cleaning and evening refresh, towels and turn down). Point is I think your view of it making you feel guilty, especially when it seems to mean a lot is more on you than the cruise line (my advice,not asked for but...would be if it's important, ask for it).

Of course Carnival has had cutbacks ALL cruise lines have. If you doubt that, run over to NCL or Royal threads and see much of the same as here. I think Carnival provides a very good product at a good price that we think it the best that fits for us, your opinion may vary. At any rate, thanks for taking the time to reply to my question, your initial post left me not understanding what you meant and you def answered that. Happy cruising.

Well I really love having the steward come twice a day. I really loved interacting with them.

The very reason I caught the cruising bug was that it seemed so luxurious!! Someone to come in and tidy the cabin 2x a day?!!! What heaven!! Anyway for myself I would definitely pay more have the luxurious feel.

Sounds like one of the premuim likes like Crystal, Oceania or Regent are what you are looking for. They have the best guest-to-staff ratio and their service is truly 5 star.

You want luxury and pampering? You'll certainly get it. You will also be able to develop personal relationships with those who cook and clean for you that seem an important part of the cruise experience to you.

While some mass market cruise lines do a better job of guest attentiveness, none do it better than the ones specifically designed for that very purpose.

Try it and you'll see. Let us know your thoughts afterwards.

I appreciate Moongals comments. There are folks out there that feel differently. There have been thread where women did not want the stewards coming in the cabin at all. They wanted to keep it clean themselves, etc. Tablecloths - some complained that they slipped around. Some prefer to get their drinks themselves from a bartender, get them as strong as they want. Many hated the waste of the midnight buffets and pillow chocolates. Some will never eat the lobsters; they are not good as Maine lobster. :)

We personally loved old style cruising but things do change. Just need to set our expectations for what lines provide now.

There are MANY lines out there like that. If. You calculated what my 25 year ago honeymoon cost in today's figures, it is closer to $2000 now. It was 4 days. It was very pampered. Can you find a 4 day interior on a premium line for $2000? Try that and you will find the perks Carnival used to have....champagne at welcome, everyone in formal ware. Lots of people bragging about money. Mints on pillow. Welcome back parties. Tableclothes. Mints on pillows. Midnight gala buffets. Snobs telling you about their diamonds. Lobster more often. Smaller ship

Guess what? YOU CANNOT GET PREMIUM PERKS ON A BUDGET CRUISE! Carnival is for family and budget cruisers. As is Royal and NCL. They have a niche in the market and apparently are doing quite well, considering the new ships they keep cranking out.

If you want premium, go elsewhere and PAY FOR IT! But QUIT complaining that you are not special on a 5000 passenger mega ship. No one is.

Nice post and well thought out, thanks for the reply. While I understand and agree with many of your thoughts, I guess I would say that interpretation, yours, or mine, or anyone as a Carnival cruiser is simply just that. I have never had reservations about cabin servicing and in fact only been asked once. We were asked morning, evening or both and we replied (actually my wife did) morning (I would have said both) and we ended up getting what I interpreted as the same service (morning cleaning and evening refresh, towels and turn down). Point is I think your view of it making you feel guilty, especially when it seems to mean a lot is more on you than the cruise line (my advice,not asked for but...would be if it's important, ask for it).

Of course Carnival has had cutbacks ALL cruise lines have. If you doubt that, run over to NCL or Royal threads and see much of the same as here. I think Carnival provides a very good product at a good price that we think it the best that fits for us, your opinion may vary. At any rate, thanks for taking the time to reply to my question, your initial post left me not understanding what you meant and you def answered that. Happy cruising.

My issue with the cabin servicing questionnaire is, why ask guests to do it? Why not just offer the traditional twice a day service without being asked to? The natural response is guilt. What other service industry asks, "We're willing to do something extra for you, but do you really want us to?"

I don't have a huge issue with minor cutbacks. Every line does it. My issue is that Carnival really isn't that cheap anymore. If you take advantage of perks offered by other lines than Carnival may be much more expensive overall.

Hi there

There is no question, if I was on a budget and had to choose between going on two cruises or go on one and be pampered, I would always choose to go on the two cruises. Everyone has their preferences, that is why there are so many choices in cruise lines so that everyone should be able to find a product that would suit their taste.

To the OP's point about Carnival's perks for their frequent cruisers not being as generous as other companies. You are right. That is one reason not to travel based on the perks awarded by the company. They are a small token of appreciation, and in fact there is nothing that they give that you can't purchase.

You have to make your decisions about your spending, on what a company offers in relation to what you are looking for and you would make a comparison with other similar products based on value. Not on perks. After all, you cannot be sure that tomorrow you will be around to enjoy those perks.

hope this helps

have a great cruise everyone

You had me at you "were disappointed with your Vista cruise" . We were on the Vista this month and sure there were somethings done that I would have done differently but all in all it's a great ship, with all types of entertainment for everyone, excellent food, at a reasonable price. Seems like you would be one tough cookie to satisfy.

Good luck in your search for superiority.............See ya Felicia!

I love Carnival. I've been on ~14 cruises with them in 14 years. If I'm a "tough cookie to satisfy" I doubt I would've booked the Fascination in January.

On the Vista my group of six all felt the cutbacks in food and service were noticeable along with a several staff members that were not friendly and appeared worn out. Yes the staff can be a one off and happens on any line.

Overall the Vista was a beautiful ship that shares much of the Breezes venues except for the disco/theater change which I don't like. The Havana area is Brilliant as one would say.

Not at all tough to satisfy just pointing out the disappointments with Carnival cutbacks and a different experience with Royal. Which I know has had there own cutbacks but I feel has a great product and worth sharing.