Captain dinner

marlg

Do you mean the formal or gala dining night where the Captain might be in attendance to greet passengers? Or dinner with the Captain, which would always be formal? What cruise line?

A little clarity would help....

We are going on royal Caribbean cruise in September I meant formal night

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Formal night is only a suggested attire that can be as formal or informal as you want, but typically would be nice clothing. Slacks and a nice polo or shirt to a tuxedo for men is fine - comparable wear for women. Tee shirts, shorts, etc., IMO would be under dressed for dinner on any night in the MDR. On a seven night cruise you will have two formal nights. Enjoy your cruise.

Do you mean the formal or gala dining night where the Captain might be in attendance to greet passengers? Or dinner with the Captain, which would always be formal? What cruise line?

A little clarity would help....

dinner with Captain - always formal? Can't remember ever seeing that in the "cruise rule book."

A more realistic guideline would be something along the lines of "dress for success" or my favorite, "country club casual."

There are multiple starred Michelin restaurants in most cosmopolitan cities where you will find not a single dinner patron in a suit. Of course, they also won't be wearing shorts, wife-beaters, or backwards turned baseball caps with price tags intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

dinner with Captain - always formal? Can't remember ever seeing that in the "cruise rule book."

A more realistic guideline would be something along the lines of "dress for success" or my favorite, "country club casual."

There are multiple starred Michelin restaurants in most cosmopolitan cities where you will find not a single dinner patron in a suit. Of course, they also won't be wearing shorts, wife-beaters, or backwards turned baseball caps with price tags intact.

IMO, proper etiquette. If you are invited to the Captain's table - which is what I meant by dinner with the Captain - the attire should be formal. He will be. Maybe not in a "cruise rule book" but IMO the correct dress.

IMO, proper etiquette. If you are invited to the Captain's table - which is what I meant by dinner with the Captain - the attire should be formal. He will be. Maybe not in a "cruise rule book" but IMO the correct dress.

So are you suggesting that we bring formal wear with us just in case we are invited to the captain's table. If we are not invited to the captain's table, we can just leave it in our suitcase. Not a good plan in my opinion.

DON

So are you suggesting that we bring formal wear with us just in case we are invited to the captain's table. If we are not invited to the captain's table, we can just leave it in our suitcase. Not a good plan in my opinion.

DON

I'm not suggesting anything - nor do I understand where you would draw that conclusion. I am only stating my opinion of what the proper dress would be for that. No plan offered.

To your point I agree - if you don't want to bring formal wear in the first place, it would make very little sense to bring it only for dinner with the Captain on the extremely long odds that you would be invited in the first place. Would not suggest that at all. Besides there are other options - a guy can rent a tux if he wants (seen that done), wear what he has (my opinion of what to wear is just that - my opinion), or decline the invitation.

Sorry, but, when it comes to "dressing up" for dinner out, you are decades behind the times (particularly here on the "left coast").

Again, and with the understanding that I am not suggesting dressing like the slobs that are sometimes described here on CC, what would be proper etiquette for any "served" dinner on a ship is to dress as you would for fine dining in any major metro area. And, that does not translate to "tie and jacket."

As for the Captain's invitation, please be reminded that, beyond getting you from A to B with the utmost concern for the safety of all on board, the Captain's other main job is to run an operation that will convince you to be a repeat customer. If s/he wants to "honor" me with a dinner invitation, s/he is welcome to wear whatever. All I expect or want is an opportunity to share "sea stories."

Sorry, but, when it comes to "dressing up" for dinner out, you are decades behind the times (particularly here on the "left coast").

Again, and with the understanding that I am not suggesting dressing like the slobs that are sometimes described here on CC, what would be proper etiquette for any "served" dinner on a ship is to dress as you would for fine dining in any major metro area. And, that does not translate to "tie and jacket."

As for the Captain's invitation, please be reminded that, beyond getting you from A to B with the utmost concern for the safety of all on board, the Captain's other main job is to run an operation that will convince you to be a repeat customer. If s/he wants to "honor" me with a dinner invitation, s/he is welcome to wear whatever. All I expect or want is an opportunity to share "sea stories."

Well the fact of the matter is I have not brought any formal wear on a cruise in some years, so I am not decades behind anything. But in my experience those in attendance with the Captain at his table for dinner have dressed formally for the occasion. And again, it is just my opinion of what I think would be appropriate. Certainly not worth all the debate - it was just a comment to the OP. But thanks for the guidance......:rolleyes:

On most mass market cruise lines like Royal Caribbean and Carnival you won't see the captain in the dining room, much less be invited to dine with him.

Formal night dress ranges from khakis and a Tommy Bahama style shirt to a random tux here or there.

Jacket and tie is not required on either cruise line.

On most mass market cruise lines like Royal Caribbean and Carnival you won't see the captain in the dining room, much less be invited to dine with him.

Formal night dress ranges from khakis and a Tommy Bahama style shirt to a random tux here or there.

Jacket and tie is not required on either cruise line.

Well you may be right that might be the case these days - and we rarely eat in the MDR anymore so I certainly can't say I've seen it recently. But there was a time where this would happen frequently on RCI - we witnessed it many times in our earlier years of cruising. But a lot has changed over the years....

Well you may be right that might be the case these days - and we rarely eat in the MDR anymore so I certainly can't say I've seen it recently. But there was a time where this would happen frequently on RCI - we witnessed it many times in our earlier years of cruising. But a lot has changed over the years....

First cruise was in 76, most recent was January. We've seen it all.

Thus is usually the 2nd night of the cruise. Nowadays the captain might eat in the main dining room but only with officers, not passengers. The captain and the officers will be usually in the atrium to meet all the passengers and have his picture taken with him (which you have to buy) on this night.

VERY few men wear tuxes now ,some a suit and some just Dockers and a polo shirt. Ladies maybe more formal. We have had tablemates say they have to eat in the buffet this night because they didn't bring formal wear. We talk them into coming to the dining room and are always thanked for telling them to come. This is the night they serve lobster and prime rib. If you want both., just order then both or order 2 or 3 lobsters!

What ship are you going on? The photographers are around to take pictures of you when you are more formally dressed.

You can always see what people are wearing before you go to the dining room. Anytime, freestyle, or what ever they call it for just going to one dining room,starts at 5:30 so just see what men are wearing to the dining room.

We have been cruising for 30+ years. My husband used to wear his tux, then just a suit and when we started cruising, 'informal' meant men did not have to wear a tie with their jacket to dinner! Now he doesn't even wear a jacket and he never feels out of place.

I totally agree with you. In fact, on the occasions we are invited to dine with the captain on both RCI and Celebrity, it was stated to us that a jacket was required.

I can't imagine sitting next to ships officers, dressed in their dress whites, while I'm wearing country club casual. That would be a little rude. Then again, maybe it's that sense of civility that keeps me living on the "right coast." ;)

I totally agree with you. In fact, on the occasions we are invited to dine with the captain on both RCI and Celebrity, it was stated to us that a jacket was required.

I can't imagine sitting next to ships officers, dressed in their dress whites, while I'm wearing country club casual. That would be a little rude. Then again, maybe it's that sense of civility that keeps me living on the "right coast." ;)

Seriously?

It would be somewhat ridiculous for folks who fly to cruises to pack a dinner jacket for a cruise line that proudly bills/markets its passenger dress standard as "country club casual" solely on the off chance that the captain will invite him to dinner (only to have the dress standard instantaneously change).

Of course, such a cruise line will not have photographers hawking pix with the captain and will seldom find folks dressed inappropriately for dinner (i.e., shorts, tees, caps, etc). Thus, there is no need to have " jacket required" at a dinner whose sole purpose(s) relate to post #12 above.

As for "dress dinner whites," and with the understanding that worldwide merchant marines may have all sorts of varying company dress standards, understand that the commonly accepted "civilian" equivalent of US military "dress dinner whites (or blues)" is "tuxedo and black tie." However, it is the dinner milieu/event and organizational culture that sets any dress standard rather than any individual participant(s). So, it could easily be said that any officer who chooses to wear "dress whites" at a dinner on a ship that prides/advertises itself on having no requirement for jackets/ties/etc. and SERVING its passengers OR (somewhat confusing) has contradictory and/or non-existent standards (e.g., "formal" or "smart casual" nights on some mass market lines) may, in fact, be overdressed.

Bottom line on a cruise ship: Who is there to serve who?

Seriously?

It would be somewhat ridiculous for folks who fly to cruises to pack a dinner jacket for a cruise line that proudly bills/markets its passenger dress standard as "country club casual" solely on the off chance that the captain will invite him to dinner (only to have the dress standard instantaneously change).

Of course, such a cruise line will not have photographers hawking pix with the captain and will seldom find folks dressed inappropriately for dinner (i.e., shorts, tees, caps, etc). Thus, there is no need to have " jacket required" at a dinner whose sole purpose(s) relate to post #12 above.

As for "dress dinner whites," and with the understanding that worldwide merchant marines may have all sorts of varying company dress standards, understand that the commonly accepted "civilian" equivalent of US military "dress dinner whites (or blues)" is "tuxedo and black tie." However, it is the dinner milieu/event and organizational culture that sets any dress standard rather than any individual participant(s). So, it could easily be said that any officer who chooses to wear "dress whites" at a dinner on a ship that prides/advertises itself on having no requirement for jackets/ties/etc. and SERVING its passengers OR (somewhat confusing) has contradictory and/or non-existent standards (e.g., "formal" or "smart casual" nights on some mass market lines) may, in fact, be overdressed.

Bottom line on a cruise ship: Who is there to serve who?

Yes. Seriously.

The OP is going on Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean still has formal nights. The OP asked a very simple question...."what's appropriate wear?" RCI requests a dinner jacket when dining with the ships officers on formal night. Therefore, the correct answer is that formal wear is the appropriate wear.

Argue the rest all you want but it does not change the right answer.

Yes. Seriously.

The OP is going on Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean still has formal nights. The OP asked a very simple question...."what's appropriate wear?" RCI requests a dinner jacket when dining with the ships officers on formal night. Therefore, the correct answer is that formal wear is the appropriate wear.

Argue the rest all you want but it does not change the right answer.

Oh yes- forgot - you are talking about Royal Caribbean: so, if there's a "formal" night, why isn't everyone required to wear a tux (or equivalent women's wear)? After all, they do want to sell those photos!

Out of curiosity, what happens to those "invitees" who show but don't wear a jacket? Are they asked to leave? In one post, you said "required." In a later post, you said "requested." That's a vast difference.

BTW, OP cited no particular cruise line. And the responding poster said "always formal" as though it applies to ALL cruise lines.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

BTW, OP cited no particular cruise line. And the responding poster said "always formal" as though it applies to ALL cruise lines.

Umm....

Umm....

Oops! My bad.

Nonetheless, still wondering about "required" vs "requested" and what happens to folks who come dressed quite fashionably but either flew in without the weight of "wear it once" clothing and/or only learned of their invite once onboard?