Looking at switching from Carnival to RCI

My sister and I go on a sisters cruise roughly every 2 years. We started the tradition in 2011 and up to now have only cruised on Carnival. Thinking about trying RCI for our next cruise which is way out there in Spring of 2019. We're planning to cruise out of San Juan and looking at Freedom of the Seas which is scheduled to be sailing out of San Juan at that time. We think the itinerary is great as it is 5 ports we have never been to and the Freedom of the Seas looks to be a very nice ship. We're looking at Junior Suite J4. Does anyone have experience with this cabin category?

Also, wondering if RCI has dedicated vacation planners within their corporation like Carnival does?

Anyway, just wanted to reach out here on the RCI boards to see if any of you have any information regarding experience with RCI you'd like to share. Thanks in advance to your replies.

Junior Suite perks on Freedom:

Bathtub

Walk-in closet

Priority check-in and boarding

Tea kettle and coffee maker

Bathroom amenities

Robes

Extra C&A point per night

Silver Seapass card

RCCL Junior Suites are great. They are very roomy, have lots of storage, have a big deck (with room for a table, two chairs and at least one chaise lounge) and have a HUGE walk-in closet so all of your stuff is out of the way. If you've never upgraded from a regular deck cabin you'll be thrilled with the difference. You do not get the "suite" perks however, if you are wanting those.

Thanks for the info. The junior suites do look amazing and we're definitely leaning toward the upgrade. Last two sailings on Carnival booked premium vista aft wrap corner cabin with an insanely huge balcony and little larger than normal cabin. I've read they used to be called junior suites on Carnival, but no bathtub or walk in closet.

The current promo with RCI looks like a really good deal right now with the 60% off for second guest. What's everyone's experience with how long promos run with RCI and how frequently? Is this something that should be jumped on right away?

... What's everyone's experience with how long promos run with RCI and how frequently? Is this something that should be jumped on right away?

Promos are unpredictable. However, if you are booking under US/Canadian rules, you can take advantage of any price drops until cruise final payment date.

Promos are unpredictable. However, if you are booking under US/Canadian rules, you can take advantage of any price drops until cruise final payment date.

That's really good to know! Thanks! One other question before I pull the trigger. If I book a sailing now with $500 deposit ($250 pp) for say late March 2019, then find another sailing in the near future beyond current booked date, like mid May 2019, but same embarkation port, ship and itinerary, can a change be made without penalty?

That's really good to know! Thanks! One other question before I pull the trigger. If I book a sailing now with $500 deposit ($250 pp) for say late March 2019, then find another sailing in the near future beyond current booked date, like mid May 2019, but same embarkation port, ship and itinerary, can a change be made without penalty?

Yes, according to the rules in force today. However, there may be changes in the deposit rules after July 1. You may have to opt for a higher price to have a refundable deposit and changeable booking.

Welcome, my family also travels every 2 years. We like RCI better as we find it a little less "party" like. A little more refined. You will like it. We went out of San Juan on same trip, and had a blast. You will be tired as 5 stops is a lot. Just hydrate

Welcome, my family also travels every 2 years. We like RCI better as we find it a little less "party" like. A little more refined. You will like it. We went out of San Juan on same trip, and had a blast. You will be tired as 5 stops is a lot. Just hydrate.

Register with the Crown & Anchor Society and start your accumulation of loyalty points. At 80 nights, you become Diamond and get access to the diamond lounge which is a great perk unmatched in this cruising price range. Of course, if you book grand suite and higher, you get access to both the diamond and concierge/suite lounges.

We had 7 cruises with Carnival (2002 to 2016) -- then tried Royal this year. LOVED Royal! No comparison at all with Carnival -- Royal is so much better! In my experience Royal passengers are a cut above Carnival passengers: friendlier, quieter, more polite. We sail to relax & there were a LOT fewer loud speaker announcements on Royal. There were so many places to go on the Royal ship -- and we were NOT on one of the super ships -- including several adults-only spaces and a pool. (There were several pools. Kids have their own pool & water works instead of using the main pool like on Carnival.)

Royal's decor was more tasteful. Our stateroom was better organized (we didn't have to share closet space with the life vests). Showers were all enclosed (no getting tangled in a clammy shower curtain). Our Royal balcony was HUGE. And the room was serviced twice daily without having to request it.

Royal's staff were much more polite & helpful than Carnival's. The food was MUCH better on Royal. (The past 2 years on Carnival, we've eaten mainly bread & salads because of the diminishing quality of the food.) Royal has tablecloths on the tables & the waiters placed napkins on our laps. In the buffet, waiters brought drinks to the tables. And there were PLENTY of tables in the buffet -- more than once on Carnival, we've had to carry our food to our room because there were no empty tables in the buffet.

We'd already booked another Carnival cruise before trying Royal, but we would rather lose our deposit than sail Carnival again.

You will have a blast! I love RCI, and have sailed on Freedom twice. She is a great ship! The southern Caribbean route is very nice. You are lucky! I lost my only sister a few years ago. Enjoy your fabulous vacation!

Thanks for the info. The junior suites do look amazing and we're definitely leaning toward the upgrade. Last two sailings on Carnival booked premium vista aft wrap corner cabin with an insanely huge balcony and little larger than normal cabin. I've read they used to be called junior suites on Carnival, but no bathtub or walk in closet.

. . .

We've stayed in those aft wrap cabins on several Carnival ships (and the ones that are suites--totally different cabin but with wrap balcony on spirit class of Carnival). Jr Suite on Royal - the cabin will be more spacious but the balcony is not anywhere near the size of those Carnival aft wraps (at least not the jr. suites I've seen on RC).

Also, you will meet nice people and rude ones on every cruise and every cruise line. Has nothing to do with the cruise line IMO. :cool: We try not to let anything or anyone ruin our cruise experience and each cruise has been great.

So just book it and ENJOY!

Edited by mizLORInj

You do not get the "suite" perks however, if you are wanting those.

Which "suite" perks are you talking about? You certainly get perks with a JS. Different classes have different perks and JS has some perks like priority boarding, Coastal Kitchen for dinner, not having to check out towels, etc. etc.

I too, began on Carnival. After five cruises on Carnival, my first Royal ship was Adventure out of San Juan. I agree with everything that has been said by previous Carnival cruisers.

• Royal does a better job maintaining its ships. I immediately noticed that even older ships that had not recently been dry-docked seemed almost new.
  • Not that I'm knocking Carnival passengers - I was one! - but I agree that the Royal passenger tends to be a bit more sedate and less party-focused. (But still fun!)
  • I experienced some amazing staff members on both lines, but in general feel like the staff - particularly the cruise directors - on Royal seem to more genuinely care about your experience.
  • It goes without saying that the ships are just more classy and beautiful. I like a trip to Vegas as well as the next person, but after a week at sea, the chrome and screaming colors can get a little over-stimulating.
  • I'm not just saying this as a somewhat old fogey. My now-adult kids have cruised both lines and both of them prefer Royal.
  • The loyalty program is a lot better on Royal. Makes me wish I'd started out there!

ENJOY!!

We have Freedom booked for this December out of FLL. We decided to do the 8 night itinerary. We loved Indy so we know we will love Freedom. Our next cruise we want to book will be out of San Juan because of Freedom! We did one cruise on Celebrity from San Juan in 2002 and it was our first cruise and 5 ports. It was tiring compared to the rest of our cruises since because it was port intensive. But...it was worth It see 5 islands. I would do a JS if cost isn't an issue. I am hoping to book a JS eventually lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you everyone for such reinforcement of my decision. Got the JS booked last night! Yay! My sister and I are both over the top excited about the choice! I know the itinerary is very busy and we will be tired afterward, but also know it will be worth it to see 5 absolutely new ports.

Like frangran, we did have a Carnival cruise out of San Juan on the fascination booked that we will not be going on now. Fortunately though that was booked with $50 pp deposit.

nyllrap, sorry to hear you lost your only sister a few years ago :( We too lost a sister 14 yrs ago. She was only 18 months older than me. I know it is so very hard. The sister I cruise with is now my only sister and she is 12 years younger than me, but crazy thing is, we are so much alike it's almost spooky. We thoroughly absorb each other during our cruises as she lives in Colorado and I live in Kansas so our tradition has become quite special.

I know we're going to love the extra space in the JS and the walk in closet, oh my gosh. We're talking two women cruising in the same cabin so you can imagine the needed closet space ;) I know the balcony will be more spacious than a standard Carnival balcony, and will be quite adequate :)

I'm very excited to try Royal and already feeling so welcome. Thanks again for sharing your experiences. I'll soon be looking through the Royal boards to find out all I can about Royal before the cruise.

We had 7 cruises with Carnival (2002 to 2016) -- then tried Royal this year. LOVED Royal! No comparison at all with Carnival -- Royal is so much better! In my experience Royal passengers are a cut above Carnival passengers: friendlier, quieter, more polite. We sail to relax & there were a LOT fewer loud speaker announcements on Royal. There were so many places to go on the Royal ship -- and we were NOT on one of the super ships -- including several adults-only spaces and a pool. (There were several pools. Kids have their own pool & water works instead of using the main pool like on Carnival.)

Royal's decor was more tasteful. Our stateroom was better organized (we didn't have to share closet space with the life vests). Showers were all enclosed (no getting tangled in a clammy shower curtain). Our Royal balcony was HUGE. And the room was serviced twice daily without having to request it.

Royal's staff were much more polite & helpful than Carnival's. The food was MUCH better on Royal. (The past 2 years on Carnival, we've eaten mainly bread & salads because of the diminishing quality of the food.) Royal has tablecloths on the tables & the waiters placed napkins on our laps. In the buffet, waiters brought drinks to the tables. And there were PLENTY of tables in the buffet -- more than once on Carnival, we've had to carry our food to our room because there were no empty tables in the buffet.

We'd already booked another Carnival cruise before trying Royal, but we would rather lose our deposit than sail Carnival again.

Can I ask which RCI ship you cruised on? Do they all have the kids pool area? We have been on 4 Carnival Cruises and I'm thinking of trying RCI. I have hear it's more family oriented and not as much of a "party". I really think that's more what we want. We have 2 daughters so family oriented is definitely better for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... Do they all have the kids pool area? ...

No, all Royal ships do not have a kid's pool area.

You won't find a kid's pool area on Empress, Vision class ships, and Voyager class ships.

Quite the Tall Tail with Massive Embellishment ..................................

Can I ask which RCI ship you cruised on? Do they all have the kids pool area? We have been on 4 Carnival Cruises and I'm thinking of trying RCI. I have hear it's more family oriented and not as much of a "party". I really think that's more what we want. We have 2 daughters so family oriented is definitely better for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Liberty of the Seas.