Cruise Critic onboard TUI Discovery 2 (2 - 9 July, Continental Coasts sailing)

Hi everyone,

Cruise Critic is going to be onboard TUI Discovery 2, on the Continental Coasts sailing, from 2nd to 9th July.

If you have any questions about the ship —any of the restaurants, cabins, public spaces or entertainment, perhaps? — please start submitting them now. We'll collate questions and do our best to answer them while we're onboard.

Don't forget to follow our Facebook and Twitter accounts for updates and look out for the full ship review, coming soon!

Twitter:twitter.com/cruisecriticuk

Facebook:facebook.com/cruisecriticuk

If any of you are onboard, we're looking forward to sailing with you! :D

Hi I am on this ship on the 9th July and have a load of questions...

My daughter is a vegan so is there food suitable for her?

Can we email the ship beforehand or do we just need to wait till we get there?

How many formal nights are there and what is the dress code?

On non formal nights in the main restaurant, what is the dress code for adults and teenagers?

I believe there are 2 shows at night ? What time should we be seated at for each performance?

We've been a few cruises before but the lack of information is sounding with this cruise!

Thanks

Ricky

Hi I am on this ship on the 9th July and have a load of questions...

My daughter is a vegan so is there food suitable for her?

Can we email the ship beforehand or do we just need to wait till we get there?

How many formal nights are there and what is the dress code?

On non formal nights in the main restaurant, what is the dress code for adults and teenagers?

I believe there are 2 shows at night ? What time should we be seated at for each performance?

We've been a few cruises before but the lack of information is sounding with this cruise!

Thanks

Ricky

We were on Discovery 2 in May for 2 weeks.

The staff were very helpful regarding diet and asked before each meal whether we had any special dietary needs. I would suggest that you speak to one of the Maitre d's as soon as you board to inform them of your Vegan requirements and it may be worth emailing the pre-cruise department (pretravelservices@thomson.co.uk) before you go; I am sure they will be very accommodating.

There is no such thing as 'formal' night on D2 - just a weekly 'Dress To Impress' night. This consists of a short speech/staff introduction by the Captain in the Atrium Bar with no special dinner afterwards. When we were on board around 50% dressed formally the first week and slightly more the second week; we were glad that we did dress up. As there was no special meal that night we booked a table in one of the speciality restaurants where most people had had the same idea and were also dressed formally (you would need to book as soon as you board).

Normally the dress code is smart casual in the two MDRs ('47' and the Italian restaurant 'Gallery 47' upstairs) and we did find that most ladies really made an effort and long dresses were very popular. Shorts are OK at breakfast and lunch (no Vest Tops allowed) but long trousers for men are required at night. I doubt they would mind your teenagers being a bit more relaxed dress wise if they are under 18. Casual wear is OK any time in the 'Islands' buffet restaurant.

Apart from the first night when there is just one show at 9.30 there are 2 shows each evening at 8.30 and 10.30 - you can go into the theatre well in advance of this with drinks being served from around an hour before the show starts.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by campolady

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I like to get dressed up as does my other half so we're going to book the speciality restaurant when we get on. I like the idea of actually getting the family around a dinner table together for a full week!

Looking forward to it. :cool: