Why do I keep reading to stay on the boat at Freeport and Nassau

dliteu

I keep seeing this time and time again in these threads. Please tell me why people keep posting this. Aren't these Caribbean islands with stunning water. Who or why would you take a cruise and not get off the ship at these ports. Please help me understand this thinking. Actually am hoping people will post why you SHOULD get off the boat. Really want to hear the Pros

I say get off the boat. We went to Freeport and Nassau. Out tour of the brewery in Freeport was canceled so we just did a city tour and had some lunch by the marketplace (can't remember the name of it). In Nassau we did a tour of the aquarium at Atlantis. But honestly to us the best part was the people we met. We met one lady who runs a shop who's daughter lives here in Canada about an hour away from us, and works in the same field as me. We had a great conversation. Our tour guide at Atlantis was the sweetest lady and we had such a good chat with her as well. Even just walking around seeing the sights. Isn't that what's travelling about?

We weren't in the mood to sit on a beach so that's why we did tours. But that would have been just as nice. Bottom line is you can find things to explore anywhere you are. And isn't that what a lot of travelling is about? Meeting new people, seeing different places?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Beats me. We enjoyed a snorkeling excursion in Freeport. Gorgeous water. Bus ride to sailboat about 25-30 minutes.

Enjoyed a day-pass at the British Colonial Hotel in Nassau. Small but lovely beach and nice amenities and good food.

Atlantis doesn't interest me.

Of the places we've visited Montego Bay is the only one where I might be tempted to stay on the ship.

Nassau is amazing and so is Freeport. Everyone has there own opinion one way or another. Some people say it's poor but it's not and the people there are amazing. My friends and I met a group of guys from there that took us around the island for free. I would always recommend that but in our case it worked out great. It does have beautiful water and some places have better sand than others. Again, I have never had a problem. I am going back to Nassau this Fall and looking forward to showing my husband around.

It all depends on why you want to cruise.

I would really have to hate a place or be physically disabled before I would stay on the ship in port. I cruise to see the destinations and even if I have been there 2-3 times I can still find something to do.

The people that want to stay on the ship often enjoy the ship itself as a destination. Once they have seen a port they look forward to that port as a day on board where there are no crowds, fewer lines, and nice spa discounts.

They weren't my *favorite* ports but we still enjoyed our time there. We were cruising on a budget and in one location we took the public bus and went to a hotel resort and had a very inexpensive and fun day. The other port we took a taxi to a beach that was like $5 or something

I have only been there once and really don't know if we will ever go back to either port. The pier in Freeport is in a very industrial area so it isn't like a lot of the ports where there are lots of things to do as you walk off the ship so that is probably why a lot of people don't like it. You need to plan ahead for that port. We went to a resort for the day and the beach is beautiful there. As for Nassau, we went to Atlantis and it is very expensive for the time that we got to spend there. I really didn't feel very comfortable walking around in the town there like at other ports and it seemed dirtier than other places we have been.

If you read up on the Bahamas, you will find plenty to do that suits you. Many of us have been there so many times, it's a great chance to use the ship we've PAID to use without the crowds, so that's why we stay on the ship...or maybe go ashore for a bit, but return in short order.

And, BTW, the Bahamas are NOT "Caribbean" islands...they are in the Atlantic Ocean! Yes, they have some pretty water...similar to Miami and the Keys.

I loved Nassau and Freeport the first 10-12 times we sailed there. We got off the boat in Nassau last week , went to an outdoor restaurant, and had beers a conch fritters. It was very relaxing. We used to snorkel at Deadman's Reef in Freeport. It was very nice. This time, we just stayed on the ship because we had been there soooo many times. I'll bet that's why most people stay on.

I keep seeing this time and time again in these threads. Please tell me why people keep posting this. Aren't these Caribbean islands with stunning water. Who or why would you take a cruise and not get off the ship at these ports. Please help me understand this thinking. Actually am hoping people will post why you SHOULD get off the boat. Really want to hear the Pros

They are NOT Caribbean islands. They are in the Bahamas!

Different ... especially in the winter months when the water temperatures in Nassau and Freeport can get quite chilly.

Also, many have had so many port stops there they don't wish to get off the ship and deal with aggressive vendors.

I always get off the ship. I very seldom go on an excursion unless it is educational or historical.

I don't go on cruises to go to the beach (I live in Florida). I don't "shop" for stuff. I might find a small sidewalk pub (not Sr. Frogs) and enjoy a beer, munchies and watch people buy cheap stuff, which they overpaid for and was made in China. (not picking on China, but most stuff people buy was not made locally.)

Sometimes it might be just a few hours, but I'm not home, the area is different, and where else can you go where every 5 feet someone wants to sell you the same item.

Many people do not like the Bahamas, plain and simple. As others have noted, they are not part of the Caribbean. Nassau has 200,000 people...that's a lot for a small island. The cruise port is very touristy, and the citizens are boisterous in seeking employment from the hordes exiting the ship. As others have noted, in Freeport, you don't even get a nice view from the ship as it is an industrial port. Combine this with the frequency and quantity of ships that call there, many people consider these the least desirable ports of call.

But, if you consider yourself more of a traveler than a tourist, someone who wants to get out, learn about local traditions, customs, food, drink, history and the people, then both are great. The people as a whole are warm and friendly and more than happy to share a smile and laugh with you.

Are they our favorite places to go? No. But would that stop us from taking a cruise there? Absolutely no. Would we stay on the ship? Not this girl. I love my ports of call and in Nassau can walk the straw market, and spend some time on Junkanoo and at Arawak caye - I would rather be out and about than stay on the ship. And in Freeport, it is simple enough to book something to do! Go travel!

When I go on a week caribbean cruise I'm not sure why they seem to always stop at Nassau. Once you've been there its just not a great port to go for just few hours, its full of tourist shops etc with pushy vendors, it seems dirty to us, its kind of pain to get to nice beach thats not rocky etc, may get off ship for an hour or so just to get off but we don't care much for this port in our opinion, would prefer a different port seems oversaturated in amount of cruises that stop here, however some of the cruises we want to go on seem to stop here so we rather stay on the boat most of the day.

We've been to Nassau three times and Freeport twice. They're not my favorites, but I don't stay on the ship either. The first time we went to Nassau we went to the Pirate's Museum and Sunday Mass at the cathedral. Our sons still haven't forgiven us for that one:D, but it was a great way to meet locals. The second time we went to Blackbeard's Cay - I know it goes by a different name now (Balmoral?) and Carnival offers an excursion. The third time we just walked around a bit, bought some things we needed, and then went back aboard the ship early. In Freeport, the first time we went to Deadman's Reef and the second time we did a tall ship cruise (no longer offered). You just have to plan in advance, especially with Freeport since you're not docked within walking distance of anythng other than shops and some restaurants.

One of our all time favorite excursions was a Segway tour in Nassau. It was out on a ranch and we got to take the Segway's out to the beach and have a cold drink and a dip in the ocean. You should check it out, it was a blast. :) Just because you've been to a port several times doesn't mean you've "seen it all." There's always lots of different fun excursions that you can try. Some people just go a couple times, do a couple of excursions and then they think have done and seen everything there is to do there. Sooo not true. :rolleyes: We've been to Cozumel at least a half a dozen times but we never get bored. We try something different each time. We've done ATV's there, an all inclusive resort day pass, an island tour, etc. This time we are trying out an all inclusive deal at Mr. Sanchos. You can be like some people and think "I've already been there several times so I've seen it all." Or you can be positive and try all types of new stuff out of your comfort zone like deep sea fishing or dune buggies. It's what you make of it. There's nothing wrong with these ports, it's the people and their attitudes.

I am actually still quite bummed out that I was too sick to get off in Freeport last month We had a tour to the National Park and some amazing beaches planned. We will just have to take another cruise that stops there. Thankfully, the tour operator refunded our deposit.

As for Nassau, we have been there many, many times on cruises and we took a week long vacation on Cable Beach. We have taken city tours, island tours, carriage rides, gone to Atlantis, just walked around downtown, and gone to the beach. We really enjoyed our day at the British Colonial Hilton last month. After all the noise of the ship, it was so pleasant to be on a nice quiet beach. There were no drunks, nobody yelling across the pool, no loud music and no chair hogging and we did not have to take a taxi. It is just a short walk from the pier.

Our excursion to Atlantis in 2015 was the most disappointing thing we have done in any port, bar none. We look forward to going back to the British Colonial Hilton the next time we are in Nassau.

After leaving the beach we shopped our way back to the ship. We found the sales people very welcoming and friendly and did not feel at all threatened walking through town.

I have no issues with returning to Freeport and Nassau in the future.

If you read up on the Bahamas, you will find plenty to do that suits you. Many of us have been there so many times, it's a great chance to use the ship we've PAID to use without the crowds, so that's why we stay on the ship...or maybe go ashore for a bit, but return in short order.

This. I may still get off the ship in Freeport and Nassau just to walk around a bit, but I've been to those ports so many times (Nassau especially) that there's just not much left there that interests me. So I use those ports as a chance to have the ship "to myself"! :cool: