Anybody ever do a Dubai to Singapore cruise?

Just curious if anyone has ever done a Dubai to Singapore cruise? What was your experience?

Have spied a very good deal on Ovation (14 nights stopping Oman, India and Malaysia). Its sailing in May 2016. Wasnt considering a cruise in that part of the world or that early in the year but for the price, with the all inclusive deal and the duration, its hard not to very seriously consider!

I've just recently had my first cruise on Enchantment, so was hoping to take a bigger ship in 2016.

Edited by FirstCruise2331

Just curious if anyone has ever done a Dubai to Singapore cruise? What was your experience?

Have spied a very good deal on Ovation (14 nights stopping Oman, India and Malaysia). Its sailing in May 2016. Wasnt considering a cruise in that part of the world or that early in the year but for the price, with the all inclusive deal and the duration, its hard not to very seriously consider!

I've just recently had my first cruise on Enchantment, so was hoping to take a bigger ship in 2016.

I did Singapore to Dubai a couple of years ago on a different line (part of a world cruise). It was fine, but as we were in 'Pirate Alley' from Sri Lanka to Dubai, we had to take some precautions. We had a pirate drill (basically sit in the corridor!), had to keep our curtains closed at night and weren't allowed on the Promenade Deck after dark. Some guys boarded the ship and they were effectively armed guards. As far as I'm aware, we never saw even a hint of a pirate boat.

Do it, you won't regret it and places like Oman and India are well worth visiting. If the Ovation is as good as the Anthem, you'll love it. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I did Singapore to Dubai a couple of years ago on a different line (part of a world cruise). It was fine, but as we were in 'Pirate Alley' from Sri Lanka to Dubai, we had to take some precautions. We had a pirate drill (basically sit in the corridor!), had to keep our curtains closed at night and weren't allowed on the Promenade Deck after dark. Some guys boarded the ship and they were effectively armed guards. As far as I'm aware, we never saw even a hint of a pirate boat.

Do it, you won't regret it and places like Oman and India are well worth visiting. If the Ovation is as good as the Anthem, you'll love it. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully there'll be no pirates! Have to sit down with DW tonight and work through details.

We just did that itinerary on Quantum--in fact, we did the entire cruise from New Jersey to Shanghai. We loved it!

Thanks, I dont know much abput Quantum class ships and I know some of the reviews have been mixed but we loved Enchantment so cant see how wouldnt love brand new modetn ship with more to do on board! The itinary is also very unusual which is a factor.

It's a brilliant trip.

So much to see and do.

You will love it.

My blog below has lots of details. (An epic journey)

Raina

Thanks. The link to that particular blog doesnt open for me! (The other ones do).

Going to do some research today before making the sales pitch to DW (although she has already indicated she's keen!).

Thanks, I dont know much abput Quantum class ships and I know some of the reviews have been mixed but we loved Enchantment so cant see how wouldnt love brand new modetn ship with more to do on board! The itinary is also very unusual which is a factor.

We absolutely loved Quantum. The food and service were great, and as you said, there is so much to do--iFly, bumper cars, circus school, FlowRider. Entertainment is fabulous. Combine an amazing ship with an amazing itinerary, and you can't go wrong!

Just did a Dubai - Singapore on the Explorer last month. It was a 11 night itinerary and we had stops in India (Goa, Cochin) and Malaysia (Penang, Port Klang). Oman wasn't in our itinerary - if i'm not wrong the ship had already made a stop there on her prior voyage from Barcelona to Dubai. So it was 3 seas days for us between Dubai and Goa.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and that was probably the cruise which got me hooked onto cruising, but this won't be the usual rave review. Just wanted to share the following-

1. embarkation at Dubai was a mess. We got to the terminal shortly before noon and boarded at close to 4pm. When we got on there were still lines of people behind us. And this was with a 5pm sailaway. There was simply not enough staff at the terminal to process everyone. Hopefully they will have done something about it by the time of your cruise.

2. If you are looking to explore the ports, check to see if you will have full port days. For us, we had only about 5-6 hours in port in Goa and Penang. With the time taken for immigration to clear the ship, the lines for getting off the ship, and having to be back an hour before departure time, this left hardly any time to explore.

3. INDIA VISAS. Literally EVERYONE needs a visa for India even if you do not plan to get off the ship. Prior to the cruise RCCL sent a bunch of emails warning that those without visas may be denied boarding. i'm not sure if that was enforced though. And as you will be arriving by ship, you cannot use India's online visa application system, which only applies to travellers arriving via certain airports. Check early as to how to get a India visa in your country. The roll call for my cruise had people of various nationalities reporting different procedures, fees, wait times etc. And of course this was a hot topic on board. I learnt during a short elevator ride from the royal promenade to the windjammer that some canadians paid about $300 for their visa, while the norwegians had to pay a whopping $700 for theirs. Mine cost slightly less than SGD 100, if i remember correctly.

4. Indian immigration. It doesnt end with the visas! 1 day prior to EACH of the port stops in Goa and Cochin, immigration officers were on board to clear everybody. Everyone was assigned a time (by cabin nos) to present yourself (plus a bunch of immigration forms you had to fill up beforehand and a photocopy of your passport) at one of the ship's venues for the immigration officers to clear you and stamp your shore leave card (one of the aforesaid forms). The first 'immigration day' lasted from morning till late afternoon. I was lucky enough to have been put in one of the first few batches and completed the process by 9 plus am or so. After us, there were announcements for people to show up half an hour behind their assigned times as the immigration process was running behind schedule. Kudos to RCCL though, they did the best they could to explain how the forms were to be filled up and to make the 'immigration days' as painless for us as possible.

That said, all this didnt stop us from having a great time and i'm sure you will too. Will be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

tingyyy

Just did a Dubai - Singapore on the Explorer last month. It was a 11 night itinerary and we had stops in India (Goa, Cochin) and Malaysia (Penang, Port Klang). Oman wasn't in our itinerary - if i'm not wrong the ship had already made a stop there on her prior voyage from Barcelona to Dubai. So it was 3 seas days for us between Dubai and Goa.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and that was probably the cruise which got me hooked onto cruising, but this won't be the usual rave review. Just wanted to share the following-

1. embarkation at Dubai was a mess. We got to the terminal shortly before noon and boarded at close to 4pm. When we got on there were still lines of people behind us. And this was with a 5pm sailaway. There was simply not enough staff at the terminal to process everyone. Hopefully they will have done something about it by the time of your cruise.

2. If you are looking to explore the ports, check to see if you will have full port days. For us, we had only about 5-6 hours in port in Goa and Penang. With the time taken for immigration to clear the ship, the lines for getting off the ship, and having to be back an hour before departure time, this left hardly any time to explore.

3. INDIA VISAS. Literally EVERYONE needs a visa for India even if you do not plan to get off the ship. Prior to the cruise RCCL sent a bunch of emails warning that those without visas may be denied boarding. i'm not sure if that was enforced though. And as you will be arriving by ship, you cannot use India's online visa application system, which only applies to travellers arriving via certain airports. Check early as to how to get a India visa in your country. The roll call for my cruise had people of various nationalities reporting different procedures, fees, wait times etc. And of course this was a hot topic on board. I learnt during a short elevator ride from the royal promenade to the windjammer that some canadians paid about $300 for their visa, while the norwegians had to pay a whopping $700 for theirs. Mine cost slightly less than SGD 100, if i remember correctly.

4. Indian immigration. It doesnt end with the visas! 1 day prior to EACH of the port stops in Goa and Cochin, immigration officers were on board to clear everybody. Everyone was assigned a time (by cabin nos) to present yourself (plus a bunch of immigration forms you had to fill up beforehand and a photocopy of your passport) at one of the ship's venues for the immigration officers to clear you and stamp your shore leave card (one of the aforesaid forms). The first 'immigration day' lasted from morning till late afternoon. I was lucky enough to have been put in one of the first few batches and completed the process by 9 plus am or so. After us, there were announcements for people to show up half an hour behind their assigned times as the immigration process was running behind schedule. Kudos to RCCL though, they did the best they could to explain how the forms were to be filled up and to make the 'immigration days' as painless for us as possible.

That said, all this didnt stop us from having a great time and i'm sure you will too. Will be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

tingyyy

Thanks a million for the honest insights. Just checked , visa for me (Ireland) is €50, its double for DW (UK). Its a peculiar enough itinary. Embarkation day is May 26th but it looks like we don't set sail until May 27th! We have a day visit to Muscat on may 28th then three days cruising until Cochin where again we berth overnight. 4 days sailing take us to Penang for a day berth before geting to Singapore on June 8th but not disbarking until June 9th!

The India stop sounds like a nightmare!

The original price (package from TA including flights and hotels at either end) has gone up slightly but it's still a very very good deal. Just have to crunch the numbers and see if we'll be in a position to pay the full balance by mid February.

Maybe a few questions please -

1. what's the weather like and is the sea calm / rough ? I appreciate it is likely to differ due to the time of year and the large geographic distance travelled and the different seas, etc.

2. What was the passenger mix like? We 're late 30's but happy to mix with all ages.

3. Did you get 'bored' on the ship - specifially the food choices / entertainment / things to do?

Thanks again.

Thanks a million for the honest insights. Just checked , visa for me (Ireland) is €50, its double for DW (UK). Its a peculiar enough itinary. Embarkation day is May 26th but it looks like we don't set sail until May 27th! We have a day visit to Muscat on may 28th then three days cruising until Cochin where again we berth overnight. 4 days sailing take us to Penang for a day berth before geting to Singapore on June 8th but not disbarking until June 9th!

The original price (package from TA including flights and hotels at either end) has gone up slightly but it's still a very very good deal. Just have to crunch the numbers and see if we'll be in a position to pay the full balance by mid February.

1. what's the weather like and is the sea calm / rough ? I appreciate it is likely to differ due to the time of year and the large geographic distance travelled and the different seas, etc.

2. What was the passenger mix like? We 're late 30's but happy to mix with all ages.

3. Did you get 'bored' on the ship - specifially the food choices / entertainment / things to do?

Thanks again.

1. Weather on that leg of the cruise was HOT HOT HOT. Be aware that in Oman, ladies must wear long pants, long sleeves and a head covering when entering a mosque--they are very strict about that. Oman was one of our favorite ports, along with Singapore. If you want suggestions for excursions, I'll be glad to tell you what we did.

2. There were all ages on Quantum, but not too many kids. There was a great mix of different nationalities on board. We really enjoyed Dynamic Dining (Quantum did not have classic dining) because we always asked to share a table and met many great people.

3. We were never bored--and we were on 53 days. The food was great--there are 5 complimentary restaurants, and each has two different rotating menus. There is so much to do, and entertainment is fantastic. Make sure you see all the shows and do the iFly and bumper cars. In addition to all the activities they plan (trivia, etc.), there are also the rock climbing wall, FlowRider, circus school, and roller skating. You will not be bored!

Any other questions, just ask. This ranks up there as one of our favorite cruises.

1. Weather on that leg of the cruise was HOT HOT HOT. Be aware that in Oman, ladies must wear long pants, long sleeves and a head covering when entering a mosque--they are very strict about that. Oman was one of our favorite ports, along with Singapore. If you want suggestions for excursions, I'll be glad to tell you what we did.

2. There were all ages on Quantum, but not too many kids. There was a great mix of different nationalities on board. We really enjoyed Dynamic Dining (Quantum did not have classic dining) because we always asked to share a table and met many great people.

3. We were never bored--and we were on 53 days. The food was great--there are 5 complimentary restaurants, and each has two different rotating menus. There is so much to do, and entertainment is fantastic. Make sure you see all the shows and do the iFly and bumper cars. In addition to all the activities they plan (trivia, etc.), there are also the rock climbing wall, FlowRider, circus school, and roller skating. You will not be bored!

Any other questions, just ask. This ranks up there as one of our favorite cruises.

Thank Nancy.

Wow 53 days! I assume Ovation has Dynamic Dinner- I like the idea of that with the three venues.

Did it feel crowded on sea days? If it wasn't too hot could, we'd like to get a spot in the shade on deck or in solarium. If its too hot outside are indoor venues crowded?

What did you do in Oman? Would like to maybe do a tour. I've been to Singapore before so pretty familiar with there.

Sounds like loads to do on board, DW loves idea of roller skating!

Thank Nancy.

Wow 53 days! I assume Ovation has Dynamic Dinner- I like the idea of that with the three venues.

Did it feel crowded on sea days? If it wasn't too hot could, we'd like to get a spot in the shade on deck or in solarium. If its too hot outside are indoor venues crowded?

What did you do in Oman? Would like to maybe do a tour. I've been to Singapore before so pretty familiar with there.

Sounds like loads to do on board, DW loves idea of roller skating!

There was plenty of shade on the ship, and there are a lot of nice indoor areas to sit and read or chat with others.

We did an all-day tour with Oman Day Tour. There were 8 of us (arranged with others on CC rollcall). This is the itinerary: Grand mosque of Oman, Mutrah, Fish and vegetable Souqs, old Muscat and the Sultan's Al Alam Palace, at the entrance of Muscat bay the twin Forts of Jalali and Miranit Bait Al Zubair Museum. As it turned out, our guide took us to his house for fruit and coffee--it was totally unexpected and really delightful.

In Cochin we did a 2-day tour (there were a LOT of CC folks in about 10 or 11 vans). It was with Muziris Heritage Tour (Lijo Jose). It was a great tour, and I know many CC people on Ovation are booking it as well.

In Dubai we did the HOHO bus during the day and then did dune bashing in the evening--that was a lot of fun and highly recommended.

There was plenty of shade on the ship, and there are a lot of nice indoor areas to sit and read or chat with others.

We did an all-day tour with Oman Day Tour. There were 8 of us (arranged with others on CC rollcall). This is the itinerary: Grand mosque of Oman, Mutrah, Fish and vegetable Souqs, old Muscat and the Sultan's Al Alam Palace, at the entrance of Muscat bay the twin Forts of Jalali and Miranit Bait Al Zubair Museum. As it turned out, our guide took us to his house for fruit and coffee--it was totally unexpected and really delightful.

In Cochin we did a 2-day tour (there were a LOT of CC folks in about 10 or 11 vans). It was with Muziris Heritage Tour (Lijo Jose). It was a great tour, and I know many CC people on Ovation are booking it as well.

In Dubai we did the HOHO bus during the day and then did dune bashing in the evening--that was a lot of fun and highly recommended.

Thanks for the recommendations. Will check out the tours.

DW is on board (pardon the pun), going to book in the morning!!! Woohoo :)

Thanks again.

1. Hot and humid. This applies pretty much all year round to india, malaysia and singapore. the seas were fairly calm all the way. not smooth as glass, but there were few whitecaps.

2. Maybe it was the time of the year, but there were close to no kids, which was a plus point for us. I would say the age range of the passengers was between 40-60? I'm in my early 30s and felt like i was one of the youngest.

3. I was on the explorer, which probably has less entertainment options than the ovation. did some ice skating, lots of eating, the usual shows and lounging around on the balcony and by the pool with a book. never felt bored, but then again i went on the cruise to relax, not to do a whole lot of stuff. the food was pretty good, including the windjammer buffet which had quite a good variety. MDR menus did not repeat themselves so that was good too. Didn't go to the speciality restaurants.

And... it's only after i had a good night's sleep that the implications of your thread sank in fully... which is that the Ovation is coming to Singapore!!!! and that i need to get myself on her! do you know where she is headed after Singapore?

1. Hot and humid. This applies pretty much all year round to india, malaysia and singapore. the seas were fairly calm all the way. not smooth as glass, but there were few whitecaps.

2. Maybe it was the time of the year, but there were close to no kids, which was a plus point for us. I would say the age range of the passengers was between 40-60? I'm in my early 30s and felt like i was one of the youngest.

3. I was on the explorer, which probably has less entertainment options than the ovation. did some ice skating, lots of eating, the usual shows and lounging around on the balcony and by the pool with a book. never felt bored, but then again i went on the cruise to relax, not to do a whole lot of stuff. the food was pretty good, including the windjammer buffet which had quite a good variety. MDR menus did not repeat themselves so that was good too. Didn't go to the speciality restaurants.

And... it's only after i had a good night's sleep that the implications of your thread sank in fully... which is that the Ovation is coming to Singapore!!!! and that i need to get myself on her! do you know where she is headed after Singapore?

Thanks. I'd be a big fan of the relax and do very little approch while on board and two weeks on board with no wifi / phone and some good books, good food and a few drinks will be great!

Ovation is doing a 3 night cruise to no where from Singapore followed by a 12 night cruise to China. It looks VERY expensive!

Thanks Nancy for sharing. Any suggestion on the Hotel in Dubai. We have a few days there pre-cruise.

Will be on the same cruise. See you at the M&M. :)

Thanks. I'd be a big fan of the relax and do very little approch while on board and two weeks on board with no wifi / phone and some good books, good food and a few drinks will be great!

Ovation is doing a 3 night cruise to no where from Singapore followed by a 12 night cruise to China. It looks VERY expensive!

I couldn't resist .. and booked the 3 nighter so I'll be boarding after all of you get off! First time on Quantum class! Fingers crossed that everything will be running smoothly. The complaints about the Anthem in the other threads are making me a little worried.

I couldn't resist .. and booked the 3 nighter so I'll be boarding after all of you get off! First time on Quantum class! Fingers crossed that everything will be running smoothly. The complaints about the Anthem in the other threads are making me a little worried.

We'll be sure to look after her for you! While there are complaints about Anthem, there are plenty who have good things to say too. Hopefully logistics are ok and the various dynamic dining options are working!

We are on this cruise. Booked the airfare yesterday.

Now, I just have to go thru the visa process.

Nancy- any information that you can share would be great!:):):)

if I remember you will be with us on cruises out of Sydney in 2017.

Thanks!

Peggy

There was a lot of angst about the India visas on our roll call, and everyone discussed how difficult it was. I actually didn't find it as bad as everyone else said (the Brits had a really hard time). For US citizens, India uses a compaly called CKG: http://www.in.ckgs.us/visa/type-of-visa.shtml. Unlike the China visa, there is no need to pay another visa processing company (CKG fee was very reasonable). You complete the visa application online, print it and mail it to CKG (they have different offices depending on where you live). I called them 5-6 times with questions as I was completing the paperwork. They were very nice and helpful. I mailed everything to them (Certified with Return Receipt), they checked it over and sent it to the Indian Embassy. CKG emailed me every step of the way to let me know where it was in the process. Got our visas back in less than 10 days. No issues. We got a 10-year visa. You can also request shorter ones. Hopefully you will have the same experience. Now, China visa was an entirely different story (we had to use a visa processing company and it took a long time).

Yes, we are on the Australia cruise too!

We saw nothing but complaints about Quantum before we boarded--there were even folks who canceled because of all the complaints and fears about the construction that was going to happen to change for the Chinese market. I decided not to worry about it. We had a fabulous time and loved the ship. Were there some glitches? Sure, but you can have those no matter what ship, or for that matter what hotel or land restaurant you go to. There is so much to do on that ship. Entertainment is fantastic. We loved Dynamic Dining. We just went on Vision of the Seas, and MDR was not nearly as good in our opinion. Everyone has different tastes, and some just want the same thing they have always had. We like to try different things, so for us Quantum was great. Enjoy your cruise!