Oasis and sea sickness?

kugelette

So, this is my little guy's third cruise. Poor kiddo gets really seasick (and airsick), so this is our last attempt. We were hoping that with a mega ship like Oasis, we'd get less movement than we have with previous ships (have sailed on HAL and Radiance). Cruise is Nov 28 - Dec 5th, and it's eastern caribbean itinerary. We will obviously be doing what we can to mitigate any sea sickness, but would love to hear about experiences on the ship.

So why take him? ship has nothing to do with rough seas.

We just got off Oasis today. The rocking this week was pretty much non-stop. Still had a great time!

How would you rate the rocking? We had a trip to norway where we could barely stand and people were holding onto the walls as they walked the corridors (and I was pitched from side to side in bed)...

How would you rate the rocking? We had a trip to norway where we could barely stand and people were holding onto the walls as they walked the corridors (and I was pitched from side to side in bed)...

No where near that level of rocking! I've experienced much worse. It didn't make me sick, but others we spoke to said it was too much for them at times. It was just never-ending.

Cannot say it will definitely help or not, but peppermint candy helps to soothe the stomach. Another thing that I have tried & it works is to put a few drops of "Angostura Bitters" in a juice sized glass of ginger ale, sprite, or 7-Up.

You can find this in the grocery store where the drink mixers are located. It comes in a bottle with a paper wrapper & yellow top- looks like a bottle of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce. I would plan to try these if I were you.

We just got off Oasis today. The rocking this week was pretty much non-stop. Still had a great time!

This. We were on the same cruise. Certain days were worse than others (Day 2 and then Day 6 if i remember correctly), but still had a great time. I was on FOS last year, but it was the western itinerary and it was more calm. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Previous cruise was on Voyager Eastern and i remember feeling it move and walking the halls and ending up on each side of the hallway with each time it rocked so maybe it is the Eastern and time of year (that was a january cruise). I'd just be prepared, but you may have much less movement.

Here is a youtube vid I took while on the ship on Friday in the pool. The day before it was more front to back motion and caused the pool to be like a wave pool -

Edited by Vs1023

I'm not sure why some don't seem to get that it's the seas (weather really) and not the ship that is the issue. You can only know a few days ahead what the predicted sea state is.

Edited by BND

I'm not sure why some don't seem to get that it's the seas (weather really) and not the ship that is the issue. You can only know a few days ahead what the predicted sea state is.

Because both of those things are factors. :rolleyes: Stabilizers play a part in the motion of the ship, as does size, which is why tenders can pitch you about even when the ship feels calm and steady.

This. We were on the same cruise. Certain days were worse than others (Day 2 and then Day 6 if i remember correctly), but still had a great time. I was on FOS last year, but it was the western itinerary and it was more calm. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Previous cruise was on Voyager Eastern and i remember feeling it move and walking the halls and ending up on each side of the hallway with each time it rocked so maybe it is the Eastern and time of year (that was a january cruise). I'd just be prepared, but you may have much less movement.

Here is a youtube vid I took while on the ship on Friday in the pool. The day before it was more front to back motion and caused the pool to be like a wave pool -

Thanks for the link! I was wondering if I was gonna see any pools sloshing. :)

Cannot say it will definitely help or not, but peppermint candy helps to soothe the stomach. Another thing that I have tried & it works is to put a few drops of "Angostura Bitters" in a juice sized glass of ginger ale, sprite, or 7-Up.

You can find this in the grocery store where the drink mixers are located. It comes in a bottle with a paper wrapper & yellow top- looks like a bottle of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce. I would plan to try these if I were you.

The bitters are a new one on me. do you know how they work?

I was on the Oasis back in October and we had one day where we hit a thunderstorm at sea and I felt it for about an hour out of the entire trip. However the Oasis in my opinion is not like the other ship I was on in March. When the Oasis hits rough seas it more or less vibrates is how I can describe it instead of a roll feeling. However the night it started rocking we were all the way forward in the Solarium bar and it did give you the "ok this ship is rocking" feeling but as soon as we headed down to the promenade it was just a vibration feeling. I took my daughter back in March on a Carnival ship and for 4 days we had 15 foot seas and she got pretty ill one of the days so we got something call seabands and it was little pressure points that she put on her wrist and that seemed to stop the nausea. Hope you guys have fun - you will LOVE the oasis there is soooo much to do!

[quote name='Bluepper']no idea how it works, but my mother-in-law introduced me to this remedy years ago. It always seemed to help though.[/QUOTE]

What is bitters and where do you get them? Edited by Terre