Oasis and sea sickness?

kugelette

So, this is my little guy's third cruise. Poor kiddo gets really seasick (and airsick), so this is our last attempt. We were hoping that with a mega ship like Oasis, we'd get less movement than we have with previous ships (have sailed on HAL and Radiance). Cruise is Nov 28 - Dec 5th, and it's eastern caribbean itinerary. We will obviously be doing what we can to mitigate any sea sickness, but would love to hear about experiences on the ship.

A drug free idea that can use just when needed is a relief band , electronic pulses to wrist , Google and can find. I haven't yet sailed w high seas to know if it works but worked for me on teacup sort of ride and gets good reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course every cruise will be different and weather patterns can easily affect the ship, but I usually get very seasick (and have since I was a child). I take Bonine to alleviate the issue. On the Oasis however, I have actually been able to skip the medication occasionally! Hope your little guy will have an enjoyable cruise.

Ginger is supposed to be an amazing natural remedy that won't make you drowsy, allow you to drink (obviously not in your little one's case lol). I was seasick recently on Quantum as we were sailing down the atlantic coast in the middle of a winter storm. It was the first time I ever felt nauseous on a ship... I was perfectly fine on Oasis and Allure. Hopefully your little guy feels good on Oasis!

Of course it depends upon the seas, but I have been seasick aboard the HAL ships, but never on Oasis. Oasis is so large that I never felt the movement of the ship, but I also was never in a storm like we experienced on board two HAL sailings. Try to stay in a cabin that is mid-ship and the motion is diminished. On HAL, I constantly wore the wrist bands and took Bonine during the storm which helped. Also, try eating a green apple and chew on ginger candy. That will help the stomach settle down. Good luck!

The ship moves. The ocean is much larger. While you may not feel it as much, it can still cause sea sickness in those prone to it. On Allure, we had wonderful weather, but you can still feel the motion if there are waves. I'm very prone to sea sickness and I take Bonine/Less Drowsy Dramamine. I was also prone to car sickness as a child.

I always love the recommendation to stay in a mid-ship cabin. While that will help while you're in the cabin, it doesn't help most of the day when people are out and about. Ask the Dr and find something that he or she can take.

We are currently on oasis for the second time. Today is the best day we've had all week with respect to motion. It's been pretty rough at times all week long - rocking back and forth quite a bit. The sea has been rough and the winds have been strong. We always being ginger mints for motion sickness. They work for mild queasiness. You'll need something stronger though if it's bad.

I'm one of those people that believe Oasis doesn't move. I tried saying "git it up horsey" and it still didn't work.

I think it has the least amount of motion of any ship I've ever sailed. I recommend it to my sister that gets motion sick standing still.

I'm one of those people that believe Oasis doesn't move. I tried saying "git it up horsey" and it still didn't work.

I think it has the least amount of motion of any ship I've ever sailed. I recommend it to my sister that gets motion sick standing still.

Just like any other ship, it really depends on the weather.

Exactly what I was going to post. Please do discuss it with his doctor.

Not looking for sea sickness remedies. :) I just want to know how the ship compares in movement to the smaller ships. I've heard it's more turbulent in the Caribbean in November, too. :(

We couldn't believe how you could not feel Oasis move. We were so far out from Ft. Lauderdale on sailaway we went up top to see if we had left yet and you could barely see the shoreline. All week, I kept saying "I can't even feel this ship moving." It was like that for the entire 7 days until the last day at sea when it was a little rocky.

Not looking for sea sickness remedies. :) I just want to know how the ship compares in movement to the smaller ships. I've heard it's more turbulent in the Caribbean in November, too. :(

We have sailed quite a bit in November. It's not more turbulent than any other time. Just depends on weather/fronts moving through.

Yes! I am highly susceptible to seasickness though, so take that into consideration. We had very smooth seas and I could still feel it, particularly in the spa, which is a low deck. I took Bonine the whole trip. It lasts 24 hours so I only had to take it once a day. I started it after I was on board for a day or two because everyone told me it was so large that I'd never feel it rock. But I did! The Bonine took care of it immediately though.

On a much smaller ship, my then 6 year old son had wicked seasickness and his doctor gave us a small dose of Valium to him. That helped tremendously. But you have to know in advance and they calculate the dose carefully based on weight.

Hope that helps!

That was my experience as well, but we had very mild seas.

We are currently on oasis for the second time. Today is the best day we've had all week with respect to motion. It's been pretty rough at times all week long - rocking back and forth quite a bit. The sea has been rough and the winds have been strong. We always being ginger mints for motion sickness. They work for mild queasiness. You'll need something stronger though if it's bad.

Sherri sailed a week after us and had pretty rough seas, so there really is no predictor ahead of time.

Our last two cruises were on Oasis and we will sail Allure in Jan. My husband, who gets seasick easily, always takes Bonine before cruising but didn't need it again on both our sailings on Oasis. We rarely felt movement even when docking. Another reason we love Oasis!

I know the OP isn't looking for seasickness remedies, but a comparison of the ships. Unfortunately, there is no real good way to do this, unless you have the two ships in the same location on the same day. On any given day, the larger ship may move more or less than the smaller ship, depending on the weather, course, speed, and lots of other factors.

You may not be looking for seasickness remedies, but, if you really want a good cruise, you should rethink that. There is no way to compare the ships alone. The weather plays a bigger role in motion sickness and wave direction, height, etc than how the ship rides (and size) since ALL ships are just a dot in the very large bodies of water they sail in. All the meds do is help the inner ear deal with the motion.

Does Oasis handle it better than a much smaller ship, yes, but that doesn't mean someone prone to motion sickness won't get sick. BTW, meds are a wonderful thing that can make or break a cruise vacation. Who wants to spend their vacation time nauseous? I know I don't.

Also, everyone has their motion that will make them sick. Mine happens to be when a ship is pitching and rolling. Rolling I can handle just fine, but pitching does me in.

Edited by BND

You may not be looking for seasickness remedies, but, if you really want a good cruise, you should rethink that. There is no way to compare the ships alone. The weather plays a bigger role in motion sickness and wave direction, height, etc than how the ship rides (and size) since ALL ships are just a dot in the very large bodies of water they sail in. All the meds do is help the inner ear deal with the motion.

Does Oasis handle it better than a much smaller ship, yes, but that doesn't mean someone prone to motion sickness won't get sick. BTW, meds are a wonderful thing that can make or break a cruise vacation. Who wants to spend their vacation time nauseous? I know I don't.

Also, everyone has their motion that will make them sick. Mine happens to be when a ship is pitching and rolling. Rolling I can handle just fine, but pitching does me in.

I didn't mean that we aren't going to address potential sea sickness. Unfortunately we've had many years of car sickness (thankfully outgrown, knock on wood), air sickness (and he's flown enough times to earn his own ticket in miles), and several cruises where we've had to deal with it, so very familiar with managing motion sickness. Of course we want his trip to be a fun one; that's why we specifically booked the Oasis (when I hate crowds) on RCCL (whose food has never impressed me). We did indeed book a lower floor mid-ship, though it didn't help us last trip when the seas were rough! Hopefully the bigger ship will make a difference and the seas will be smooth, otherwise I imagine this will be our last cruise for awhile... :(

I did not get sick on the Oasis and I have motion sickness really bad. I swear by Bonine. If your little guy can chew a Bonine, he'll be okay for 24 hours. I take one before I get on the airplane and it helps with the ascent and decent. I take one before any excursion that involves being on the water in a small boat. The ships don't bother me however, even though I can feel every movement no matter how slight.