What to wear on a Mediterranean cruise... Help!!!

DemiS

My husband and are leaving for our 12 day Mediterranean cruise (Italy, Greek isles, Barcelona) on Tuesday. I'm concerned that I didn't pack appropriately. I'm a 29 year old female and only own a few pair of shorts and rarely wear them. I usually wear casual dresses and skirts with sandals in the summer.

I'm reading that everyone wears shorts or capris with tanks or tee shirts. Am i going to feel out of place? would 'sporty' clothes be more practical for the ports?

I'm not really concerned about the formal nights/smart casual nights or swim wear. I bought two pairs of extremely comfortable walking sandals.

Any suggestions are appreciated... I only have 3 days left! Thanks! :)

My husband and are leaving for our 12 day Mediterranean cruise (Italy, Greek isles, Barcelona) on Tuesday. I'm concerned that I didn't pack appropriately. I'm a 29 year old female and only own a few pair of shorts and rarely wear them. I usually wear casual dresses and skirts with sandals in the summer.

I'm reading that everyone wears shorts or capris with tanks or tee shirts. Am i going to feel out of place? would 'sporty' clothes be more practical for the ports?

I'm not really concerned about the formal nights/smart casual nights or swim wear. I bought two pairs of extremely comfortable walking sandals.

Any suggestions are appreciated... I only have 3 days left! Thanks! :)

Hi,:) I have not done this itinerary yet (it is on my wish list) but

personally, I think your summer dresses sound very nice. And if

you are comfortable in them, then I say go for it:)

I do know gals who feel more comfy in skirts and summer dresses.

I don't think you will be out of place at all.

Hopefully some cruisers who have been on this itinerary can

post some first hand info for you.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise:D

I'm taking the same cruise in September. I don't wear shorts much, but I have some light jeans and capris. But, the more I thought about it, the more I have decided to go with what I like best: longish denim skirts and cotton shirts and t's that go with them. They are cooler, more comfortable and more flattering. Remember, some churches you may visit require that shoulders and knees be covered, skirts and short sleeved tops that will take care of that. Dress for yourself and don't worry about what everyone else might be wearing. You won't be overdressed, they'll be underdressed!

..depends on the weather..the med can be hot during the day and gets cooler at night...what you have sounds good...just pack a shawl or two to cover your head and shoulders..for churches and mosques I think the rule was to have the knees covered...couple of the women in our group were given green cloth bags to wear in a mosque to cover shoulders and knees...

Thanks for all of your help! I feel better now. I don't think I'm going to do any last minute shopping. I need to save my money for the trip;) Anyways, i know what I'm comfortable in and I guess that's most important. I packed a couple pairs of shorts just in case.

I'm going to wear either white pants and top or a maxi dress and shawl in Rome.

Thanks again!!!

You will be absolutely fine in what you describe. Most Europeans are a little dressier than Americans, so you won't be out of place at all. I cruised the Med in November (and generally try to travel in Europe in the off-season), but if I were going in summer, your outfits sound like what I would wear.

We have visited these areas many times. You will find that few women (particularly in Italy) wear shorts. Many of the churches do not allow shorts. :o

You will always be appropriately dressed in a summer dress, but remember to take a shawl, shrug or sweater because some places frown of bare arms. :cool:

Have a wonderful time!

Shorts shorts, sleeveless tops of any kind, halter tops, tube tops, are all no nos in any church of any kind anywhere in the world. Your dresses will be lovely. I always wear nice jeans, capris, or dresses and/or skirts, and always tops with sleeves of some kind when I travel in Europe.

I am early thirties and always wear dress/maxi dress or top and skirt,you'll find in europe shorts aren't really worn that much,and you can spot the tourists a mile off in their shorts,so you'll probably fit in more in europe in dresses etc and be cooler!

Have fun!!

Archived