Driving in Maui

taylormade1050

Decided to rent a car and drive to sites in Maui.

I have a few questions....

Does anyone have a favorite rental company there?

Do the rental companies have shuttles that run to the cruise ship area?

Where would you suggest driving to? Sites to see?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Some research on the Hawaii board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

will answer each question you have. You can drive to what interests you, not what we say you "must".

All the standard rental car companies operate in Hawaii, and there are several ways to get "discounted" rental rates.

• 3 months later...
Hello, I too am looking to rent a car in Maui, our ship will be docked over night. Does anyone know, if we rent a car for the 2 days is there a place we are able to park it by the cruise ship?

Thank so much!

Again, if you look on the Hawaii board, linked in post #3, you will see several discussions on the parking issues at Kahalui. It is recommended you park at the airport.

Two days, great. I recommend spending one day driving around the island via road to Hana. We waited five years to make the drive because we kept hearing and reading the horror stories of the challenges of driving the road. The drive isn't your normal highway drive, but the fantastic views make the small challenges worth every minute. The east side of the island has some rougher road, but it is very safe when driven at a reasonable speed.

Burt

Two days, great. I recommend spending one day driving around the island via road to Hana. We waited five years to make the drive because we kept hearing and reading the horror stories of the challenges of driving the road. The drive isn't your normal highway drive, but the fantastic views make the small challenges worth every minute. The east side of the island has some rougher road, but it is very safe when driven at a reasonable speed.

Burt

My husband and I drove The Road to Hana. Fortunately there was very little traffic when we went (in January). It required care when driving. The views were stunning.

However, the road around the top of Maui was diabolical. We thought we were going to take a short cut, going from our condo just north of Lahaina around the top of the island. Wrong! We started on our adventure on a normal two lane road but suddenly it was no wider than a car width with sheer drops below us and no shoulder to the right of us. No barriers to break a fall. If a car came around the bend, we had to back up to the nearest pull over area. Fortunately there was a turn around area a few miles after we began on this treacherous trek and we (as well as several other not so brave folk like us) returned the way we came. I told my husband to be at the end of this caravan of cars, not the front! I didn't want us being the first to bring us all back to safety. I had never been so glad to see a two lane road again as I did that day. We looked in the eyes of people in the cars we passed as we returned whence we came and we saw terror.

My heart is racing just thinking about what we thought we were going to do but had the good sense to turn back around and take the long way around the island!

We got the best rate from Alamo/Budget using our Costco card benefit. I think the most expensive car was a large Ford Explorer and it was just under $50.00 for the day in Hilo. The lease expensive was under $30.00 a day in Maui (using the Costco discount).

Two days, great. I recommend spending one day driving around the island via road to Hana. We waited five years to make the drive because we kept hearing and reading the horror stories of the challenges of driving the road. The drive isn't your normal highway drive, but the fantastic views make the small challenges worth every minute. The east side of the island has some rougher road, but it is very safe when driven at a reasonable speed

Th OP has not been back for several months, but we will offer one thought anyway. Driving the aforementioned route is up to each individual, but we feel it best to do it when you have more than just an overnight on Maui, as it effectively uses up a full day of your time and your energy. Save it for when you can spend a land vacation here and do it one day at your leisure.

Favorite: Avis/Budget Group. (808)661-8721

Shuttle to Ship: Not that I know of. Rental Yards 5/Miles North by the Hotel Strip

Where to Drive. Wild Hana Road then up the sedate Haleakala Volcano Road.

Favorite: Avis/Budget Group. (808)661-8721

Shuttle to Ship: Not that I know of. Rental Yards 5/Miles North by the Hotel Strip

Where to Drive. Wild Hana Road then up the sedate Haleakala Volcano Road.

Ah...what if the OP is docking at Kahalui, which I suspect they are. No hotel strip there, and there are shuttles to the airport rental car facilities.

Th OP has not been back for several months, but we will offer one thought anyway. Driving the aforementioned route is up to each individual, but we feel it best to do it when you have more than just an overnight on Maui, as it effectively uses up a full day of your time and your energy. Save it for when you can spend a land vacation here and do it one day at your leisure.

Umm, that is why I said "Two days, great". The OP asked about seeing the Maui sites with a rental car. Driving the Road to Hana a one day trip that I believe is a wonderful way to see some of the best of Maui.

Burt

Umm, that is why I said "Two days, great". The OP asked about seeing the Maui sites with a rental car. Driving the Road to Hana a one day trip that I believe is a wonderful way to see some of the best of Maui

A little homework for those who may want to know more about the route: Google "Tips For Driving The Road To Hana - Go Visit Hawaii", dated October, 2016.