1 case Bottled water $84 39 ^%$#&*

l148hammer

FWIW that $84. is for ltr bottles, not the usual 500ml . It's a 12 pack of Evian 3 liter bottles.

Not everyone can drink the ship's water. If it doesn't cause you any problems, fine, but if your feet and legs seem to swell, that may be the culprit.

The ship's water is seawater desalinated, that does not get all the salt out of the water.

Everyone has priorities, for me the priority is the get the Evian water so I don't have the swelling. For others it's a bucket of beer.

The swelling is almost always due to the higher levels of salt in the foods served on all ships - same as in land based restaurants. They do this to enhance the taste. Since that is all we eat for days or weeks at a time on a cruise, the constant higher doses of salt in the food will eventually cause the swelling in some. That you don't swell up at home is due to less salt in home cooking.

It is not the water. It is the food.

Anyone who buys bottled water on a ship is a total sucker. Anyone who buys bottled water on land is a total sucker. In most cases you can buy a 6 pack of beer (lousy beer but beer) at a cheaper price than water.

DON

Some of us buy bottled water for convenience. It is often difficult to find drinking water when you want it when on an excursion. Buying a bottle when leaving the ship solves the problem. I don't mind the couple of $$ for the convenience.

I find it insulting that you consider us suckers because we get thirsty when no water is otherwise available. Perhaps instead of taking the time to insult people you should spend that time practicing your social skills. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

OP's question was if there was any way of getting around the apparently outrageous price - which he has apparently pre-paid. As he has already paid for the water, it would seem that the only option is to advise RC that he wants to cancel the order and get a refund.

There certainly is a way to avoid it. Just don't chose to buy it. It's not required to buy the water, I'm not sure why anyone would do so with the price posted right there.

Anyone who buys bottled water on a ship is a total sucker. Anyone who buys bottled water on land is a total sucker. In most cases you can buy a 6 pack of beer (lousy beer but beer) at a cheaper price than water.

DON

Maybe they are and maybe they aren't. At least on land sometimes you are out need water and there is no where to refill your bottle, you are stuck buying one.

I agree that buying water on land in large quantities is foolish.

Several years ago I had a conversation with a senior exec of an oil company who operated retail outlets, including attached convenience stores.

He had words to the effect that everyone complains about the price of gas. His wish was that he could get the same exorbitant ( his words) margins on gas that his operation enjoyed on the bottled water that they sold.

People always complained about the price of gas but seemed quite happy to pay much more per litre for bottled water.

I did the Chef's Table on another RCL ship, Oasis, and LOVED it. The chef came out with each course and explained how he had prepared the dishes and why he had chosen each dish. Each dish had a glass of wine selected to accompany it. I don't drink so I saved up the glasses and took them to my DH afterwards. ;) (He is NOT a gourmet - or a vinophile - so we decided not to waste the money on him, he hit the pizza restaurant while I was at the Chef's Table.)

I liked the salmon poached in olive oil so much I learned how to make it myself when I got home!

I did the Chef's Table on another RCL ship, Oasis, and LOVED it. The chef came out with each course and explained how he had prepared the dishes and why he had chosen each dish. Each dish had a glass of wine selected to accompany it. I don't drink so I saved up the glasses and took them to my DH afterwards. ;) (He is NOT a gourmet - or a vinophile - so we decided not to waste the money on him, he hit the pizza restaurant while I was at the Chef's Table.)

I liked the salmon poached in olive oil so much I learned how to make it myself when I got home!

Not sure what this has to do with this thread....

Not sure what this has to do with this thread....

The OP did ask about the Chef's Table. For the first 33 response posts everybody was wrapped around the value of buying bottled water. Finally, Mama was kind enough to offer her input on the Chef's Table question.

BTW, Mama, kudos to you and your husband being able to each enjoy yourselves in your own ways. To me the neatest thing about cruising is being able to customize your experience.

Ditto on the above post.

Well there have been many studies on drinking water. It's kind of like global warming. Some believe it some don't.

I will agree that $84.00 or $69.00 (what I spent) is outrageous. It's a necessity.

It's not like alcohol which one could live without. I could easily drink the ships water, refill my plastic bottles and I am sure would live.

However, compared to what people are spending on alcohol I feel it is a value.

I currently live in Rye but I am from Flint Michigan and still own a hous there.

I no longer trust any public water supply unless I have filtered it. Google stories about water supply and cruise ships.

So yes I'm sure it is fine but when possible I try to protect my health.

I'm buying the spring water and use a filter at home.

Many bottled waters are high in sodium. Go on you tube to see results.

To each their own.

Shame on you RCCL for taking advantage.

Of course, those cruisers who only drink the tap water (which I agree is better than what most folks have at home), don't do specialty restaurants, excursions, internet, alcohol, onboard expenditures etc., have a tribe of kids in tow or prefer an amusement park/Vegas atmosphere may want to stick with the mass market offerings.

I'd love to know the research study backing this condescending comment.

Several years ago I had a conversation with a senior exec of an oil company who operated retail outlets, including attached convenience stores.

He had words to the effect that everyone complains about the price of gas. His wish was that he could get the same exorbitant ( his words) margins on gas that his operation enjoyed on the bottled water that they sold.

People always complained about the price of gas but seemed quite happy to pay much more per litre for bottled water.

In 2015, Americans spent more money for bottled water than gasoline.

Most of that expensive water came from city taps in Atlanta and Dallas.

Neither city is famous for great quality tap water.

Due to the high cost of producing fresh water from salt water onboard ships, cruise lines are increasingly loading most of their fresh water in ports. Unless your cruise is a trans-Atlantic or trans-pacific, most of the water in the tanks - and coming out of the taps - is from a city water supply. No salt..........

That is costly for water. Yikes.

I won't buy water on board. Forgetting reasons relating to cost/taste/convenience etc, my main concern is the amount of discarded plastic bottles left for the environment to cope with. It worries me. I think it is great that they are available for the odd occasion where you get caught when your reusable water bottle runs out and there is no water fountains to refill with and you need a drink, but as a regular buy a bottle a day thing... yikes.

I figure the cruise industry is not best for environment and i do contribute to that, but i like cruising. So i do whatever else i can to minimise my impact.

And it saves me $$ to spend at ports. 😀

In 2015, Americans spent more money for bottled water than gasoline.

Most of that expensive water came from city taps in Atlanta and Dallas.

Neither city is famous for great quality tap water.

Due to the high cost of producing fresh water from salt water onboard ships, cruise lines are increasingly loading most of their fresh water in ports. Unless your cruise is a trans-Atlantic or trans-pacific, most of the water in the tanks - and coming out of the taps - is from a city water supply. No salt..........

I'm sorry but there is sodium in city water. Almost all water. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. But to say here is no salt in municipal water is just not true.

See link below.

http://www.megaheart.com/citywater.html

That is costly for water. Yikes.

I won't buy water on board. Forgetting reasons relating to cost/taste/convenience etc, my main concern is the amount of discarded plastic bottles left for the environment to cope with. It worries me. I think it is great that they are available for the odd occasion where you get caught when your reusable water bottle runs out and there is no water fountains to refill with and you need a drink, but as a regular buy a bottle a day thing... yikes.

I figure the cruise industry is not best for environment and i do contribute to that, but i like cruising. So i do whatever else i can to minimise my impact.

And it saves me $$ to spend at ports.

Agree absolutely. Plastic in Water

207520614_PlasticinOcean.jpg.e65720603d05311928e06f5608b2e708.jpg

Edited by Liz54
typo

Wait, wait, wait... $85? For one case of water? 8. 5. Dollars. Eighty five dollars? 5 + 80 dollars. Hold on. Is this a cruise to the moon and this is bottled space water? Does the $85 space water keep you hydrated for a month? Does it dance? Is there weed in it? When we say "bottled water" do we really mean bottled gin? Does the water come with a hooker? Do you mean 17 cases of water? Does a cute doggie deliver the water and then sing you a song? Do the water bottles open themselves up and then fly to your mouth when you want a drink? Do you temporarily get super powers when drinking this water? Does the water cure cancer?

Over the course of my life, I've come to terms with the cost of popcorn at movie theaters... However, my brain cannot even begin to comprehend that a case of regular everyday water is $85. I might be able to accept $18 and begrudgingly pay it, like I do when I buy popcorn at the movies.

I'm sailing Carnival in January. I paid 3.99 for a case of water to be delivered to my room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And yet some Carnival cruisers are bitching that Carnival just raised the price to $4.50. They have no idea (apparently) how good they have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I find it insulting that you consider us suckers because we get thirsty when no water is otherwise available. Perhaps instead of taking the time to insult people you should spend that time practicing your social skills. :rolleyes:

Thank you. I could not have said it better