What British comforts would you like to see on your ex-UK cruise on a non-UK ship?

kelly@

What British comforts would you like to see on your ex-UK cruise on a non-UK ship?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. What British comforts would you like to see on your ex-UK cruise on a non-UK ship?

• Tea making facilities in the cabin
    • Indian curries
    • Real ale on tap
    • Mushy peas
    • A late-night kebab shop
    • Something else -- I'll post below

Guests sailing out of Southampton on the new Celebrity Eclipse this April will be delighted to find a few home comforts onboard -- if you consider mushy peas and steak and kidney pie to be home comforts, that is.

Celebrity has unveiled a host of Brit-friendly aspects to the new vessel, sister to Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity Equinox. Menus have been tweaked, entertainment tailored to British tastes and onboard lecturers and "enrichment" made more appropriate to a U.K. audience. You can read the full story here: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=3649

So, we want to know -- what British comforts would you like to see on your ex-U.K. cruise on a non-U.K. ship? Vote in our poll!

Has to be tea & coffee making facilities, but they do need to ensure there are adequate sachets and plenty of milk.

I know we could have room service but you always wonder if you should tip, if so how much, or for us Brits how little; and if you want it in bed to wake you up, there is no need to worry about looking decent when the steward arrives. In fact why restrict it to UK cruises, let's have it as a permanent feature.

As for the others, nothing there that I would need to improve my cruise.

Proper full English fry-ups for breakfast. A heart attack on a plate, granted, but soooo good!! ;) After one of those puppies, I'm good until mid-afternoon. Short of that, at least proper English bacon, not the strip kind we tend to serve in the States. :D

-Kevin

Proper full English fry-ups for breakfast. A heart attack on a plate, granted, but soooo good!! ;) After one of those puppies, I'm good until mid-afternoon. Short of that, at least proper English bacon, not the strip kind we tend to serve in the States. :D

-Kevin

British Bacon.. Not the streaky only, more fat than meat poor excuse for bacon we see in Canada & the USA.. It's the fat laden north American crap that is called 'bacon' which is more likely to be 'heart attack on a plate! 'mmmmm don't forget the black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes, sausages and fried bread to go with that Englsih bacon.. :D

Marmite & Toast

Crunchy Peanut Butter, Yummy on Toast with Banana

CURRY, not the out of a bottle sort or the 'chip shop gravy'.. REAL 'British East Indian style' curry's...

Chicken tikka, must be with breast meat ~ A nice healthy lunch or dinner option.. After downing that Full English Breakfast!!

Remember curry has replaced Fish & Chips and the British #1 take out.. (take away in brit speak)

Chicken Dhansak !! OMG .. Gotta get on a plane to England and get me some !!

I really hope they won't change to much and make it too British, after all if we wanted that we could book P and O.

DH would love some proper British hot puddings with custard though.

Julie

I really hope they won't change to much and make it too British, after all if we wanted that we could book P and O.

Julie

Kernow, I wondered where your username came from.

Then I drove from Bristol to St Austell on Tuesday and saw it there on the welcome to Cornwall sign :D

Julie

Please leave Celebrity as it has always been. As it has been said, if we wanted a British cuisine with facilities catering to a UK clientelle, we would go P & O. We did so on our first ever cruise and do not wish to repeat the same experience. We are already booked on the Eclipse in May and will give it the benefit of the doubt and make our own judgement.

However, Celebrity - you have a good product - IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!

I agree with you 100 percent factor. Granted the Brit's make up a certain part of the cruise market, but leave the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean alone as they are.

Fully agree!!! We didn't sign up for Eclipse for a "British" flavour. Those who need a fix can extend their cruise to include all the "extra's"

Isn't also the Cunard Line as well. I signed up for this ship to be a nice luxury ship, not a British themed ship. Leave it alone please. I am sorry if I insulted anybody, but I am an american and signed up for an american cruise experience. Perhaps, if it did cruises from Southhampton only, perhaps.

I agree with Julie, don't make it too British.It will be nice to try some traditional British food maybe scones or authentic fish & chips but we are sailing on Celebrity for the "Celebrity" experience not a "British themed" cruise.

Some of these are great ideas! It doesn't sound like anyone is asking to have anything "replaced" but rather some additional things as options. I like that idea. I enjoy that Celebrity has food offerings from various cultures/places. I voted for real ale on tap and mushy peas!

We booked the Eclipse for the Celebrity experience. If we wanted pies, pasties, mushy peas, black pudding etc, we can always get them in the UK. The only thing I would like to see added to the menu is British bacon. If Celebrity offers both types of bacon, they can assess how popular that is and decide whether to continue/discontinue it.

The only thing I would like to see added to the menu is British bacon.

...was offered at breakfast daily in the Oceanview Cafe while I was aboard Equinox for an Ancient Empires sailing out of Rome in late September. In fact, if I recall properly, there was a station devoted to Traditional English Breakfast items.

What's with the negativity? there's always lots of complaints that people want cruises to be more regional in areas that they're sailing instead of all following the same cookie cutter North American standard. No one is saying you're not going to get your normal menu items, they're talking about adding extras on cruises out of the UK. I think it's fabulous. I wish ore ships would adopt beers, food, etc from the regions that they're sailing.

We LOVE Celebrity just as it is!

Why all the down market ideas like mushy peas - yuck! Where did those ideas come from!

If you want to do something how about Pimms, excellent warm scones with jam and clotted cream, afternoon tea on a three tiered plate and real tea in a pot made with boiling water!(not altogether of course!!)

I am on the May sailing and will have a look but will probably stay in my usual haunts and choose the type of food we very much enjoyed on the Solstice last year!

Angie

On the Connie Panama Canal cruise from San Diego to Miami, breakfast included a station with various kinds of poached eggs, and I believe some kind of English breckie was there.

Lunch included a station with fish and chips, shepherd's pie and mushy peas.

The Asian station had pretty good Indian food for lunch.

I saw a jar of marmite someplace.

I didn't have any marmite.

It would be a disaster if food offerings were changed to reflect British tastes - as others said, if we want that we would stay at home. And please do not take the food choices down market - much as I love mushy peas they are not cruise ship cuisine IMHO

What I would welcome, and I think many non Brits would as well is to see BBC News 24 being one of the TV channels available

I'm going on a cruise to experience the different things offered from each country I visit so giving me mushy peas from my own country doesn't exactly fill me with joy

Far better would be something on the menu traditional to each country/place you are in each day, so for our Baltic cruise it could be German/Russian/Swedish etc

I am interested to know exactly how they plan to serve the Yorkshire pudding, will they serve it at dinner as the correct course one wonders or as a side dish :D

There are far far better things (as some have mentioned) that could be representative of British food! Haggis for example :eek:

Archived